Talk

Advanced search

Threats of violence at work - WHBU to go straight to the police?

(28 Posts)
redgoat Sat 18-Jul-15 22:57:37

There is someone at my husband's work who is very unpleasant (to say the least) and has taken a real dislike to DH. He has threatened DH with violence before, saying things like he'll slash him.

He's kicked off again tonight saying he's going to "Do DH in", "Jump all over him", "Rearrange his face so he'll never be recognised again", and told DH that as he's on holiday next week, he's going to hang around and "get DH".

DH has reported this by phone to his local office. I've told him that he needs to complain in writing and that this is really enough. This guy makes everyone miserable and has been hauled over the coals before for this kind of thing.

WDHBU to go to the police too or should he give the bosses another chance to sort this first? (This has happened before, I genuinely think this guy is unstable.)

elephantoverthehill Sat 18-Jul-15 23:02:35

What line of work is in? How can someone threaten this stuff without being heard by other workers?

FabULouse Sat 18-Jul-15 23:05:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

redgoat Sat 18-Jul-15 23:06:17

Delivery driving. I think one person overheard but they are an employee of the delivery place and not the same company as this guy and my DH. DH has said that this guy does tend do behave worse on the deliveries than at the 'home' depot.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 18-Jul-15 23:07:00

Definitely go to the police. Employer might be grateful to have outside help. A conviction/caution would make IT easier to get rid of him. He's a liability.

Selks Sat 18-Jul-15 23:07:48

Police!!

redgoat Sat 18-Jul-15 23:08:04

Thanks for your replies. Do you think police tonight on 101 or wait until the morning. (DH is home now thank goodness, walked in the door about 15 mins ago)

Aridane Sat 18-Jul-15 23:09:08

What does your husband think and want to do?

Littleorangecat Sat 18-Jul-15 23:10:30

Report to the Police, but as soon as possible also to local HR & head of HR (if this structure exists) by telephone and followed up straight away in writing.

elephantoverthehill Sat 18-Jul-15 23:12:52

I think it is important for your DH to write everything down. Whatever the both of you decide to do, the evidence will be there.

redgoat Sat 18-Jul-15 23:13:14

He did mention the police when he was telling me on the phone when he was on his way home. Haven't asked him since he got in as he's just getting freshened up and changed.

redgoat Sat 18-Jul-15 23:15:35

Thank you. I'll get him to write it now before he forgets any details. He's spoken to someone in the 'nigh office' already so I'll help him type it all up tonight ready for 'office hours' management tomorrow/Monday (it is a 24/7 business).

elephantoverthehill Sat 18-Jul-15 23:16:48

Sorry when I wrote 'evidence' I meant a record of the conversation whilst it is still fresh in your minds.

cocobean2805 Sat 18-Jul-15 23:44:02

I wouldn't hesitate to encourage you to write down an "incident report" of sorts. Who said what, time, place, if there were any witnesses to it, as much detail as possible. And then ring 101 and tell the police. If this was happening outside a night club, police would be called. It's threatening behaviour. I would send the write up to the bosses too and be very specific about it being unacceptable, especially in the work place. Your DH has a right to go to work and not be worried about being harassed verbally or physically.

CalmYourselfTubbs Sun 19-Jul-15 00:17:29

YANBU.
contact the police.

redgoat Sun 19-Jul-15 00:44:26

Thank you. I've helped him type it all up and we'll ring the police in the morning as DH is safe, there's no immediate threat so no need to stretch their resources at this time in the morning.

Thanks again for you advice. Just need to think of a closing sentence for his letter to the bosses.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 19-Jul-15 00:44:57

Sweet Jesus definitely the police and employment law. This man should hAve been dismissed on the spot.

elephantoverthehill Sun 19-Jul-15 01:00:12

Closing sentence- how about ' This is my honest account of the conversations between myself and X. I have nothing to gain from this except peace of mind in my work place and at home'

redgoat Sun 19-Jul-15 01:07:46

That's a good closing sentence but unfortunately we have already hit send. smile We ended with

"I have a right to be able to come to work without being verbally or physically attacked or having the worry of it.
I would like reassurance about how this matter will be dealt with as soon as possible."

elephantoverthehill Sun 19-Jul-15 01:11:07

Much better than my suggestion smile

Spermysextowel Sun 19-Jul-15 01:12:51

That closing sentence sounds excellent. I hope that they sit up & take notice. What an awful position for him to be in.

mintpoppet Sun 19-Jul-15 07:23:57

Could your husband use his phone to record any conversations with this man? He could casually have it by his side but it would still pick up voices. It sickens me that disgusting people do this sort of thing to honest, nice folks.

totallybewildered Sun 19-Jul-15 07:27:02

Go to the police, this is a crime. go to the police today.

redgoat Sun 19-Jul-15 11:17:47

Thanks for your advice. DH is on the phone to the police now.

elephantoverthehill Sun 19-Jul-15 11:19:24

Please let us know the outcome. I was so shocked last night that someone would do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now