Talk

Advanced search

Has this crossed a line into bullying?

(49 Posts)
TisNotMaidenly Sat 18-Jul-15 15:07:42

A few weeks ago I decided to do a very low calorie diet in order to lose weight for summer and have lost a stone and am nearly at target.

For those who don't know, one side effect is a funny taste in the mouth and this can result in bad breath.

When I first started it I was standing next to a colleague and she pulled a face and said 'yuck, you have been eating garlic.' I explained it was the diet, apologised profusely mortified and since then have apologised to people who have all shrugged and said I don't smell.

But this colleague keeps saying - loudly - I have eaten garlic. Honestly, it's really embarrassing me and I am getting very paranoid!

Since I've told her on a few occasions it's my diet, she must know. So why keep bringing it up?

Or am I being sensitive and need to eat a pie? smile

WorraLiberty Sat 18-Jul-15 15:10:20

I don't think it's bullying, but it is rude.

Have you tried a breath freshening spray, or chewing gum?

LazyLouLou Sat 18-Jul-15 15:10:57

Don't tell her any more. Just smile and say "I must eat more, it isn't working"

Leave her to it. Save the pie for later smile

TisNotMaidenly Sat 18-Jul-15 15:14:36

I'm not permitted chewing gum on the diet Worra (also, I work in a secondary school and hate it as a result!)

However, I must say none of the children have commented, which is unusual if it's as bad as she seems to think it is!

Mind you, they probably don't come all that close to me

grin

WorraLiberty Sat 18-Jul-15 15:16:23

I imagine the kids would think they'd be in trouble if they said your breath smells grin

You could try a spray.

iklboo Sat 18-Jul-15 15:17:57

'And you've got a face like a wart-hogs ball sack, but at least I can use Listerine'.

(under your breath, of course. Unless you're really peed off).

wankerchief Sat 18-Jul-15 15:18:07

Go right up to her face and give her a proper big lungfull of your breath then lick her cheek, keep eye contact till you are out of sight.

She will never approach you about anything ever again

TisNotMaidenly Sat 18-Jul-15 15:18:20

Worra, you attribute our little darlings with a fear of authority that I'm not convinced they have grin

But I will try a spray.

It's just so rude to keep going on about it - makes me so embarrassed!

WorraLiberty Sat 18-Jul-15 15:20:54

True grin

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sat 18-Jul-15 15:21:40

" and you have clearly been eating rather a lot of pies recently",..

TisNotMaidenly Sat 18-Jul-15 15:22:24

Funnily enough amothers, she is rather, corpulent. blush

Bullshitbingo Sat 18-Jul-15 16:30:08

Sorry, it does sound like you have stinky breath, and she's just the only rude person to say it to you upfront. I've worked with someone on a permanent starvation diet and it was uncomfortable to say the least. I never said anything because I would hate to embarrass her, but you do need to sort it out.

Well done on the diet tho if it's working for you smile

TisNotMaidenly Sat 18-Jul-15 16:31:54

Possibly, but I don't understand why she keeps going on about 'garlic' when she KNOWS by now it isn't garlic at all!

hippoherostandinghere Sat 18-Jul-15 16:34:31

All I want to know is what's the diet and how quickly did you lose 1 stone grin

TisNotMaidenly Sat 18-Jul-15 16:36:03

Cambridge, 4 weeks.

but you do need understanding colleagues

grin

BabyFeets Sat 18-Jul-15 16:36:44

She sounds annoying, i would comment on her constantly repeating things, like how many times does she need to tell you and everyone else she thinks you smell of garlic.

ShuShuFontana Sat 18-Jul-15 16:43:03

if you haven't been eating garlic and everyone knows you are on this replacement diet then I'd wait till the next time she says it and say

"look you do seem obsessed with this garlic smell, I am only drinking shakes, and the smell is only here with YOU and me, so maybe you need to look at your diet?" <head tilt>

...rattle it right back at her....cheeky cah!

TisNotMaidenly Sat 18-Jul-15 16:44:08

Shu, that's perfect. I love it!

hippoherostandinghere Sat 18-Jul-15 16:49:52

Well done, good for you. I'd say she's jealous.

WorraLiberty Sat 18-Jul-15 16:58:54

hippo, the OP hasn't mentioned the woman's weight.

If for example she doesn't need/want to lose any, I don't see where jealousy would come in?

bigbumtheory Sat 18-Jul-15 17:18:11

Rude to keep going on about it. I do know I back as far away from my colleague's though, he seems to think it's fine not to clean his teeth until evenings- I find it all very nauseating.

Yarp Sat 18-Jul-15 17:22:40

One way to check whether your breath smells is to lick the inside of your wrist, let it dry, then sniff.

I have found the best breath freshening tablets - they are capsules that have peppermint and parsley oils in, and they really seem to neutralise garlic smells - called Optifresh Breath Gels. Not sold in normal chemists or whatever - got mine in Wholefoods

Yarp Sat 18-Jul-15 17:23:52

Your colleague sounds really rude, BTW.

hippoherostandinghere Sat 18-Jul-15 17:38:34

Fair enough Worra but I normally find when someone acts out like this it can come from jealousy. Either that or she's just rude, it's not on to make continuous negative comments about someone when the OP has told them all about the cause of the bad breath.

balls2DWall Sat 18-Jul-15 17:43:41

chewing parsley can help counteract and rid of bad smell. congrats on weight loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now