Talk

Advanced search

11 year old girls having their eyebrows done?

(108 Posts)
TheHouseOnBellSt Sat 18-Jul-15 08:56:45

By "done" I mean waxed....my sister has just had her 11 year old's brows done at a local salon because "she's going to high school isn't she....she can't have messy eyebrows."

Is that usual?

We're about to move abroad and my DD who would, if we were staying in the UK be going to secondary school would look at me like hmm if I suggested she have her eyebrows waxed!

My niece didn't have big, bushy eyebrows or anything...they were normal!

Is this a thing people do now? I'm genuinely interested as none of the girls in my DDs school have done eyebrows at this age. The girls attended different primary schools and my DDs was a very rural one.

HorraceTheOtter Sat 18-Jul-15 08:59:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

msgrinch Sat 18-Jul-15 09:01:26

I wish my mum had done that for me. I wrecked my eyebrows by trying to do it myself sad

sebsmummy1 Sat 18-Jul-15 09:02:05

No it's not normal. When I was younger we didn't have young girls with perfectly manicured nails and eyebrows, hair that was straightened and highlighted etc etc. we all looked a bloody mess, it was the eighties!!! Thank god quite honestly.

IWentAwayIStayedAway Sat 18-Jul-15 09:02:05

I'm with Horrace. Wouldn't offer, but would certainly take them if they asked

1Morewineplease Sat 18-Jul-15 09:02:42

I just find it sad that girls as young as this are put under such pressure to achieve "beauty" and "perfection" !!!!!!

everyonesfriend Sat 18-Jul-15 09:02:47

going from my experience i wish my mum would have let me do it at 11 i sneeked to do it at 13 also had legs and underarms done , mum excepted it was part of growing up after i went and done it ,

i dont think its a bad thing to do if they understand it needs to be done regular its better than shaving imo

also my eyesbrows were "normal" but i wanted perfect ones and now at 26 i hardly have to do then so its paid off

i dnt agree with HD BROWS on girls under 16 or lazer treatment , hd brows i find strange

TheHouseOnBellSt Sat 18-Jul-15 09:02:58

sister said that the salon told dd that she now wouldn;t have to keep coming back but to just pluck any odd strays herself and the shape would remain.

I don't know....I feel it's too young...I do think that a child who is self conscious of her brows if they were thick should be allowed but niece's brows were fine....my DD has nice brows but now I'm wondering if the other kids her age will all suddenly look all primped in a few months and DD is still very much a little girl...

countryandchickens Sat 18-Jul-15 09:04:12

I would younger than 11, to be honest.

DD looks awfully like me poor child and I have struggled with body hair all my life.

I will not put her through being ripped to shreds at primary.

MsVestibule Sat 18-Jul-15 09:05:11

I was 11 in the '80s when we certainly didn't pluck our eyebrows! However, with personal grooming being a really big thing now, perhaps it is becoming 'normal'? I wore makeup when I was 13, so not that different, really.

The dinosaur in me thinks 'it's a disgrace! She's 11!', but I don't suppose it's that harmful, as long as she isn't being taught that her appearance is the most important part of her life.

Ashwinder Sat 18-Jul-15 09:05:18

I had a uni brow at 13. It looked horrible and I was very self councious. I tried my best to pluck it myself but the results were not great. I'd never heard of waxing or threading but if I had, I would have begged my mum to take me.

diploddycus Sat 18-Jul-15 09:05:26

I first got my eyebrows waxed when I was 12, in the summer holidays. I went with my my mum but I can't remember if she offered or I asked. My mum was quite strict, she'd said no when I asked to shave my legs the year before, so I think 11 or 12 is normal.

Purplepoodle Sat 18-Jul-15 09:06:45

Had mine done second year school as had a mono brow (also had lip waxed). Wish I'd had them done pre comprehensive as saved lots of bullying

Whipnaenae Sat 18-Jul-15 09:08:05

My mum sent me (in the 80s sebsmummy) I am glad, they were shaped correctly and have always looked good. Unlike many of my peers who didn't know what they were doing and over plucked them into thin arches. Yuck.

Dynomite Sat 18-Jul-15 09:08:25

Agree with other PPs...I wish my mum had done the same! I shaved mine off around that age as I didn't quite understand the differences bt shaving, plucking etc!
yes, she's only 11, but it is the age where most girls start being concerned about their appearance and I think it's better to help them with constructive solutions rather than just saying 'aawwww but you're still little'. It doesn't mean she'll start wearing make up right away or that her self-esteem has been damaged for life. Most women pluck their eyebrows. Most kids will try it. Why not show her how it's done properly?

Pagwatch Sat 18-Jul-15 09:10:22

I would let DD get her brows shaped if she really really wanted them to but she is nearly 13. Fortunately she is perfectly happy with how she looks naturally.
She did have a manicure yesterday though.

shebird Sat 18-Jul-15 09:13:07

Have also just posted regarding the crazy world of parenting preteens these days. The eyebrow thing is a new one on me. It's just a sad world where 11 year olds feel the need to be primped and preened to perfection. The pressure on them is immense and damaging and parents need to do more to protect their daughters from this.

sebsmummy1 Sat 18-Jul-15 09:14:42

The OP has stated that her niece just had perfectly normal brows. Not hugely bushy, no mono brow, just normal standard eyebrows.

I started shaving my legs and underarms at around 13 but didn't start attacking my eyebrows until about 18 I think.

Maybe83 Sat 18-Jul-15 09:15:27

My dd begged me all way through last year in primary so 11/12. She did have a mono brow and hated it. I compromised by plucking slightly my self but took her to be waxed at 12. She had them done once since and she s 13.

wigglesrock Sat 18-Jul-15 09:16:25

My sister took a razor to her eyebrows because they were too bushy - they weren't but she felt that they were - waxing would have been a hugely preferable option. It doesn't matter if you feel her eyebrows were fine - it's how she feels.

AmandaTanen Sat 18-Jul-15 09:16:54

I've always had lots of unwanted body hair, my mum was really strict about most things, apart from hair removal. Best to get it done professionally than messing about with tweezers or razors for legs etc.

NobodyLivesHere Sat 18-Jul-15 09:20:12

I pluck both my girls eyebrows

Maybe83 Sat 18-Jul-15 09:20:51

What do you suggest shebird? Home school? Remove all mirrors from the house? Not allow her to mix with her friends?

I can tell her a million times a day she s perfect, amazing clever funny etc. it isn't my approval she s seeking as most teenagers they measure them selves against their peers. She doesn't want to stand out or have a reason to be made fun of. That's not a new teen development!

She is developing she has a right to start to express what she feels comfortable with and not regarding her own body.

ArmfulOfRoses Sat 18-Jul-15 09:24:50

I don't think it's too young, my dd11 has hers done but she had asked, I'm not sure I would have offered had she not brought it up but I have engineered conversations to let her know I am more than happy to take her to salons/make up shopping rather than her rip herself to shreds with razors or come home from town with bright orange foundation etc.

Dd is just finishing yr7, and from the photos of her friends, the vast majority have had their eyebrows done.

bigTillyMint Sat 18-Jul-15 09:26:12

Thankfully DD and I are blonde, so our eyebrows/hairy legs don't show much! I would never have dreamed of taking her to have them done on leaving primary.

I only started getting mine done at about 35 - it had never occurred to me before (plus a uni friend had exceedingly high arches which made her look permanently surprised after doing it herself) but I am ancient.

DD started plucking/getting a friend to pluck hers/occasionally has them waxed at about 14 and now shades them in/has them dyed so they look nice and dark, but definitely not scouse-brow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now