Talk

Advanced search

To already be fed up with teachers/eduaction workers posting about their long holiday!

(816 Posts)
Freshlysqueezed Fri 17-Jul-15 19:26:39

Facebook is swarming with people saying how much they deserve it and other people patting them on the back. It seems like the world and his wife are in education or SAHM's with 6 glorious weeks ahead of them. Apart from a one week holiday I have a juggling timetable of various childcare arrangements to run to and fro from.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 17-Jul-15 19:28:34

We have teacher bashing threads all year round. Please don't rain on our parade today!

Sighing Fri 17-Jul-15 19:29:35

7 weeks for me.

CityDweller Fri 17-Jul-15 19:30:32

YABVU! Teachers work fucking hard - long hours in a stressful job in a shitty system that systematically undermines them. Let them enjoy their holiday and if it pisses you off that much quit what you do and become a teacher!

CoogerAndDark Fri 17-Jul-15 19:30:48

Mmmmmmm.........holiday. long holiday.

Mrsmorton Fri 17-Jul-15 19:31:56

You could always become a teacher?

Yes, they get good holidays; I would rather skin my feet and walk through a paddling pool full of salt and vinegar crisps than be a teacher.

They are welcome to it.

wowfudge Fri 17-Jul-15 19:31:56

I wouldn't do their job for all the tea in China - they deserve it.

poocatcherchampion Fri 17-Jul-15 19:32:02

Whooooo hoo!
Holiday ��

And I'm not a teacher, but I love it!

LizzieVereker Fri 17-Jul-15 19:33:16

I can see why this might grate on you, but please cut us some slack, just for today. The holiday is the only thing that makes up for my daily 9-3.30 slog. wink

KitKat1985 Fri 17-Jul-15 19:34:46

Actually I think YA most definitely NBU! I have several teacher friends and they're lovely but I'm sick of them telling me they 'deserve / need' their long holidays each year because of work stress. Where are my long holidays after my 15 hour shifts on a busy acute ward? Do they honestly believe none of us have stressful jobs too?!?

Yarp Fri 17-Jul-15 19:35:25

I think it's possible to be happy for people who've worked hard, and to commiserate with other people who've worked hard

FlatWhiteToGo Fri 17-Jul-15 19:35:40

YANBU!

I have a hell of a lot of respect for teachers and think a good teacher is worth their weight in gold. I also don't doubt for a second that it can be challenging teaching and keeping an eye on 30+ students at a time and dealing with demanding parents. I am sick however of the relentless posts on Facebook. Some of my friends keep putting up posts about how "most other jobs work 40 hours a week over 52 weeks...we work 60 hours a week over 36 weeks so overall we work more than most other jobs so deserve more holiday". What utter crap. Most people I know, across a broad range of jobs, work more than 40 hours a week (usually double that!), in extremely stressful environments, with 25 days off a year (which they often end up working or cancelling!).

On a separate note, I have yet to find a teacher who posts anything with the correct spelling or grammar grin. Maybe this adds to my lack of sympathy for them!

Freshlysqueezed Fri 17-Jul-15 19:36:33

I wasn't teacher bashing it was just a ok we get it just go away and enjoy it. Lots of people work fucking hard in shitty jobs, for long hours with little reward and crappy rules and regulations/targets. They then have to juggle and barely see their kids all summer and certainly don't expect a pat on the back when they take one of their 25 days holiday or indeed bother splashing it all over social media!

DonkeyOaty Fri 17-Jul-15 19:36:38

Och OP it's hard I know but don't be sour.

flowers

Lottiedoubtie Fri 17-Jul-15 19:37:03

Ive been off for weeks already. Ah the life of a private school teacher.

I've even had my holiday before the prices went crazy when everyone else broke up.

grin This is the first place I've boasted about it, I wouldn't dream of it in RL, but you did rather beg for it...

Wideopenspace Fri 17-Jul-15 19:37:04

Oh COME ON OP.

Come over to my thread, entitled 'Thank FUCK for that' - we've opened some wine! grin

I am impervious to criticism today, because the last year at school, particularly this last term nearly friggin KILLED ME.

WOOOOO HOOOOOO for the holiday.

<sticks out tongue>

Yarp Fri 17-Jul-15 19:37:08

Flat

Really? None of them? Do you think maybe there's a bit of a confirmation bias coming into play there?

CamelHump Fri 17-Jul-15 19:38:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HagOtheNorth Fri 17-Jul-15 19:38:48

Yes, it's a wonderful job.
I recommend it all the time to those that envy us the long holidays.

NataliaBaker Fri 17-Jul-15 19:39:11

Yabu. Do you moan every time someone is happy about something?

Wideopenspace Fri 17-Jul-15 19:39:36

Flat, my SPAG is pretty good.

spleenyone Fri 17-Jul-15 19:39:38

YABU.

HagOtheNorth Fri 17-Jul-15 19:41:11

Me, Flat.
I can spell. Except when there are toast crumbs stuck in the keyboard.

KitKat1985 Fri 17-Jul-15 19:42:12

To clarify my earlier post, I don't begrudge the teachers their holiday; rather I'm fed up of them making out they have more stressful working lives than every one else.

HagOtheNorth Fri 17-Jul-15 19:42:46

I'm waiting for the flood of parents who get to week two of the holidays and are desperate for them to end because they can't stand their own children any longer.
That always seems a bit sad to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now