Talk

Advanced search

About the sugar thing

(7 Posts)
Tumbpin Fri 17-Jul-15 17:47:21

If you ate 1000 calories of very healthy food and then 500 calories of sugar laden a day, would that be a problem, and if so, why?

scarletforya Fri 17-Jul-15 17:48:34

Yes, it would. Sugar is empty calories. No nutrition in it.

DoeEyedNear Fri 17-Jul-15 17:48:41

Yes it would be problematic because it's empty calories and would also be bad for your teeth and also increase your chances or getting diabetes

<all said whilst eating a large bag of haribo minions>

cailindana Fri 17-Jul-15 17:49:31

Yes it would, partly because sugar is very easily converted to fat if you don't use it straight away, partly because having sugar rushes impairs concentration and partly because overloading on sugar affects your ability to process it and could lead to diabetes.

Hassled Fri 17-Jul-15 17:49:55

Everything is fine in moderation. 500 calories of sugar isn't a moderate amount (actually it's probably one single Smartie).

ghostyslovesheep Fri 17-Jul-15 17:52:30

45 calories in a small snack pack of smarties so I guess one is less than 5 smile

ArtyKitty Fri 17-Jul-15 18:37:26

Well, if you're eating 1000 calories in good food, 3 meals a day, you're already restricting your diet so are probably monitoring what you eat, for whatever reasons and I bet are pretty clued up about foods. I have done this myself, so I'm not judging! But when I ate 1000 cal healthy food I physically couldnt've then eaten half that again in crap. Deep down you know having 1/3 of your diet as sugary crap isn't good. Maybe look at why you feel you need it? Can you build a smaller amount of sugar into your diet and then use the leftover calories for fuller for longer type foods?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now