Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect people not to talk over a band at a gig?

(40 Posts)
TransvisionTramp Fri 17-Jul-15 13:49:00

I went to see Portishead last night. Intimate warm up for their Headline of Latitude Festival, and they were brilliant.
AIBU to wish people would shut the fuck up be quiet and watch the band instead of talking all the way through the gig? At times I could hear their incessant talking above Beth Gibbons' singing. It's just rude, both to the performers and the other audience members. Go to the pub if you want a chat, or at least wait for the song to finish.

GraysAnalogy Fri 17-Jul-15 13:51:50

I think it depends really.

I go to rock/indie music clubs and when gigs are on people talk, it's not considered rude and tbh it's loud enough that no-one is disturbed

You said this was an intimate one though, so yeah I think it's rude. Didn't anyone tell them to shut up?

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 17-Jul-15 13:55:41

It depends on the band and the genre of music. I wouldn't be making a racket at a Portishead gig but I do get irritated by the vinegary faced shushers who try to keep everyone as silent as a Trappist Monk no matter who's on stage.

On balance YABU, it's a gig not a church service.

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 17-Jul-15 13:56:57

Well I thought it was bloody rude during the Manics when people talked during small black flowers.
Miles Hunt actually stopped a gig recently for that!

Nabootique Fri 17-Jul-15 13:57:43

YANBU in my opinion. I hate this. In fact, I usually go to gigs on my own because the people I would go with seem to want to chat all the way through.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 17-Jul-15 13:58:41

'Miles Hunt actually stopped a gig recently for that!'

Miles Hunt is a twat, anything that stops him squawking is a-okay with me!

MsRinky Fri 17-Jul-15 13:58:55

You need a Brakes t-shirt

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDn5BwB9adA

jeanswithatwist Fri 17-Jul-15 14:14:06

Ynbu. Booze can make people oblivious and behave in a loud way. Fucking irritating if it is a song u love. For me it isn't so much the talking that is annoying, it is the lowered head tilted talking into their mates ear that pisses me off if you are standing behind them as there is no escaping especially as I am small

howabout Fri 17-Jul-15 14:17:56

YANBU and ban mobile phone filmers too please.

vaticancameos Fri 17-Jul-15 14:17:57

The Manics Small Black Flowers is a really poignant song and should never be talked through. I've only seen JDB do that as an acoustic solo and I can't imagine people talking through it. I would be livid. Then if they were still talking through Motown Junk I would just think they are at the wrong gig!

TransvisionTramp Fri 17-Jul-15 14:18:51

I few people got pissed off and asked the loudest man to shut up.
One girl had her back to the stage talking to the person she was with for the whole time I was stood near her. I just don't understand why people pay for tickets and then ignore the band on stage.
I've been to hundreds of gigs over the years, and yes, some I agree it wouldn't matter if you talk as the music would drown you out.
But putting things in perspective, Portishead is not one of them.

BreconBeBuggered Fri 17-Jul-15 14:18:52

YANBU. You don't pay to listen to some twats giggling over a couple of beers with their mates. They can piss off to the bar if they've changed their mind about seeing the band.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 17-Jul-15 14:35:59

'ban mobile phone filmers too please.'

They're the ones that really boil my piss! Live in the moment people, not every bloody thing needs to be committed to digital memory.

TransvisionTramp Fri 17-Jul-15 14:46:20

'ban mobile phone filmers too please.'

YES to this. I'm on the short side and often can't see the stage behind their cameras.
I've also seen people film a gig with the bloody iPad. I didn't keep wishing he'd drop the bloody thing

I'm a miserable cow aren't I? blush

fourquenelles Fri 17-Jul-15 14:46:49

Talking while people are playing boils my piss I am afraid. A venue that has now, sadly, closed down had this sign on the wall. I want to get this printed on a T shirt.

MsRinky Fri 17-Jul-15 19:59:40

It's driving me mental trying to remember the name of the venue with that sign*fourquenelles*. Was it the Lumiere?

SwedishEdith Fri 17-Jul-15 20:09:37

This really does piss me off. This and the just standing there posting on FB all night instead of actually looking at the stage at all. Why bother going?

Addictedtocustardcreams Fri 17-Jul-15 20:12:13

My mum asked someone to be quiet at the last gig I went to. I was a bit torn between thinking this was not really appropriate gig behaviour, thinking we might get beaten up later & ultimately bloody grateful as they were just going on and on about the band playing their latest single which was clearly going to be the encoure and they were very loud!

NewFlipFlops Fri 17-Jul-15 20:57:05

YANBU, have been noticing this for a few years now. What's the point going to a gig if you're not interested in the music?

I am too old for gigs now - it's all natterers, filmers and arm wavers stinking of deodorant (instead of sweat, natch) grin

CactusAnnie Fri 17-Jul-15 21:44:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Fri 17-Jul-15 22:02:11

Fun Lovin Criminals at Kentish Town Forum. Huge gaggle of young women in front of me, chatting, laughing, going to and from the bar, getting phones out....it was so grim I gave up and left. Oh for the days of Monsters of Rock when inappropriate behaviour could be disapproved of by means of a well-aimed bottle of piss

CassieBearRawr Fri 17-Jul-15 22:03:17

I've also seen people film a gig with the bloody iPad

I have seen someone film a gig (the whole gig! Not just a song!) on their 3DS XL.

People talking through gigs do annoy me, the worst are those that do it at acoustic gigs. If you're louder than the person on stagd mic'd up with their guitar then you're a noisy cunt who needs to fuck off back to the bar.

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Fri 17-Jul-15 22:03:49

Also people need reminding that there is a time and a place for moshing. If you want to mosh, fuck off down the front. Do not batter into me and spill my pint. Bad things will happen.

CactusAnnie Fri 17-Jul-15 22:35:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MsRinky Fri 17-Jul-15 22:51:09

Oh, I once told a group of three gossiping women stood right by the stage at a Spiritualized gig to shut up or fuck off. My husband nearly fell over, I am the least confrontational person ever, but I proper got the rage. They fucked off in a huff and Jason smiled and said thank you <swoon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now