Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what time frame is reasonable (WARNING TRIGGER)

(6 Posts)
ihavenonameonhere Fri 17-Jul-15 11:14:47

I reported a historic sex crime back in January to the police. It was something that happened in the 90s and it took a lot for me to go to the police to report it.

With my help they tracked the man down and we found he is still working with children.

I made an official statement in March and they told me they would arrest him shortly.

I'm still waiting, I've chased it a couple of times and they said soon. I know they are stretched but I just thought something would have happened by now.

AIBU to expect him to be arrested by now especially with the nature of the crime reported?

Younique Fri 17-Jul-15 11:17:19

YANBU and I'd say I'm surprised but sadly, I'm not. Without going into too much detail, I supported someone to report a recent horrific attack and the arrest has been delayed to the police staffing shortages. It's shocking and unacceptable. It might be worth making a formal complaint and then escalating it if not addressed with speed.

I feel for you. You should feel supported and protected through this difficult process. Have you been in touch with Victim Support?

Ruledbycatsandkids6 Fri 17-Jul-15 11:18:19

You have done a very brave thing. Well done.

Keep your nerve because there may be a lot of work being done behind the scene that they can't share with you for legal reasons.

Tangerineandturquoise Fri 17-Jul-15 11:20:46

You could ask again- were you given the number of a designated officer?

What may have happened is that you came into or started a broader investigation and more evidence may be being gathered before an arrest.

You are very brave.

cleanmyhouse Fri 17-Jul-15 12:25:39

I'd agree that they might be doing background work to build more of a case before they make an arrest.

Electrolux Fri 17-Jul-15 12:33:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now