Talk

Advanced search

To think Estate Agents should be able to spell 'cubicle'?

(42 Posts)
MaggieJoyBlunt Fri 17-Jul-15 07:50:06

It's probably a sign that I've been browsing too long but if I have to read "shower cubical" one more time....

WutheringFrights Fri 17-Jul-15 07:59:19

When I was vetting estate agents to put our house on the market one of the guys gave me an example of their marketing for a house they had on the market.
When I told them why I had chosen an alternative agent I explained that their marketing didn't fill me with confidence. Nine spelling or grammatical errors, including the name of the house 'Minster Cottage' (misspelt Minester). The name of the estate agent was Minsters!

icklekid Fri 17-Jul-15 08:00:44

There is a sign that says viewing strictley by appointment outside a house near us which annoys me every time I walk past it!

MaggieJoyBlunt Fri 17-Jul-15 08:07:28

Nine spelling or grammatical errors, including the name of the house 'Minster Cottage' (misspelt Minester). The name of the estate agent was Minsters!

shock That is so sloppy.

There is a sign that says viewing strictley by appointment outside a house near us which annoys me every time I walk past it!

Take a permanent marker next time! wink

Really though, a spelling list of words like 'strictly' and 'cubicle' could be arranged if these words are challenging.

Hissy Fri 17-Jul-15 08:10:20

Most of my clients are EAs. <sob>

Some of this stuff I see is gobbledegook .... Well it would be if They could spell it...

Add in ridiculous use of yourself/myself/ourselves.... That's my life sad

MaggieJoyBlunt Fri 17-Jul-15 08:15:09

Oh Hissy, I'm sorry. You poor thing.

"I'll get that in the post to yourself" and similar makes me want to stab things with chip forks.

DJThreeDog Fri 17-Jul-15 08:16:56

When my house was on the market, it was described as being continently placed for the town centre.

No, I was not impressed, and no, The house didn't sell.

BabCNesbitt Fri 17-Jul-15 08:19:42

I wonder if there's a special training session that all estate agents have to attend where they learn how to mangle language in that peculiar EA way. Why do all ads seem to start "Having a... "? And it's not "comprising of", ffs!

Dawndonnaagain Fri 17-Jul-15 08:27:46

The spelling and grammer combined with the type of purple prose used by the likes of Fine and Country make me want to sob!

Dawndonnaagain Fri 17-Jul-15 08:28:19

oh my lord! grammar
Far too early! grin

SirPercyPilkington Fri 17-Jul-15 08:31:55

I'm a proofreader so when our EA produced a draft of our brochure, I had to correct it heavily.
They came back to me, only implementing a few of the changes.
I phoned to query (we're talking grammatical errors here and a few huge errors about the house itself) and they disputed my suggested use of apostrophes and said that two of the rooms were dual aspected so wouldn't be changing the text.
They were wrong - it's not 'two en-suite's' etc etc and I can assure you, being the one who lived in the house, there was only one room with a dual aspect.
I had to speak to the manager - my EA just wouldn't budge.
Nightmare. We did sell luckily, but I will never use them again.

MaggieJoyBlunt Fri 17-Jul-15 08:39:11

I wonder if they are unused to being challenged/corrected?

Maybe most people manage to ignore. How!?

LurkingHusband Fri 17-Jul-15 08:41:29

It's not as if the software they use hasn't got a built in spellchecker.

DadfromUncle Fri 17-Jul-15 08:43:34

I corrected the crikey out of ours - both factually and for grammar/spelling. Sadly, OP, it seems anyone expecting proper spelling and grammar from Estate Agents is BU. Then again, the letters from the conveyancing lawyers were barely any better.

MaggieJoyBlunt Fri 17-Jul-15 08:53:53

Sadly, OP, it seems anyone expecting proper spelling and grammar from Estate Agents is BU.

Yes, I probably am BU unreasonable in terms of realistic expectations.

Then again, they are BU for having such shoddy standards.

I can't think of another sector that gets away with it. (Excepting take aways and their menus.)

I'm starting to mentally blacklist the two worst offending agencies in the areas I'm looking at and where there is clearly multi-agency agreement, it would swing me towards the more literate agents, even as a buyer. Maybe I'm OTT, though.

Nettletheelf Fri 17-Jul-15 09:01:34

I insisted on proof reading the description of our house when it was up for sale. The spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes were terrifying. I couldn't have borne the shame.

I find the language used by estate agents hilarious. It's as if they have adopted some kind of 1820s pastiche: "a most spacious property, being conveniently located for the village centre".

MrsReiver Fri 17-Jul-15 09:09:03

We were looking at houses last year, many of them were in "sort after" areas.

DadfromUncle Fri 17-Jul-15 09:14:07

I can't think of another sector that gets away with it.

Most of the lawyers I've had dealings with would run Estate Agents a close second - and as for Car Dealers......

NewFlipFlops Fri 17-Jul-15 09:16:35

The recent discussion thread about teachers not correcting all errors springs to my mind.

YANBU.

MaggieJoyBlunt Fri 17-Jul-15 09:24:35

in "sort after" areas.

confused

WhetherOrNot Fri 17-Jul-15 09:27:10

'Characterful cottage' - no such bloody word as characterful.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 17-Jul-15 09:33:02

I can't think of another sector that gets away with it.
Our comms team at work & DH's old comms team seem to get away with it.

ScrambledSmegs Fri 17-Jul-15 09:34:19

I used to see loads of EA signs outside houses and flats in my local area, proudly proclaiming 'Let & Manged By'.

Must have instilled such confidence in their clients hmm

Peshwari Fri 17-Jul-15 09:39:44

Tardice and Tardice-like seems to be a favourite in this area

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29457136.html

ScrambledSmegs Fri 17-Jul-15 09:42:04

Btw, F&C has nothing on Chewton Rose in the purple prose department. They write about the current owner as if they're Lord of the bloody manor, even if it's a 1950s bungalow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now