Talk

Advanced search

If somebody you knew was buying a puppy....

(14 Posts)
BertrandRussell Thu 16-Jul-15 22:56:43

....and you knew categorically that they couldn't look after it, what, if anything, would you do?

BertrandRussell Thu 16-Jul-15 22:57:18

Sorry- didn't mean this to be in AIBU..

Cherryblossomsinspring Thu 16-Jul-15 22:58:37

Anyone who gets a puppy is unreasonable and possibly out of their mind.

Doesn't help you. Or that puppy. Sorry.

SunshineAndShadows Thu 16-Jul-15 23:06:46

I'd pretty bluntly tell them that I had doubts and give them lots of info on costs of healthcare, food, insurance, exercise requirements and behavioural problems

Fatmomma99 Thu 16-Jul-15 23:29:26

If you are worried, gather some evidence and report them.

But any report needs to be evidence-based.

Poor thing!

notquitehuman Thu 16-Jul-15 23:37:54

Not much you can do. A friend of mine and her boyfriend brought one of these teeny, overpriced dogs, despite the fact they both work long hours, go out almost nightly, and have three or four holidays a year. Massive surprise, after about a month they realised what a mistake they'd made. Luckily, the dog was still young and cute so git rehomed quickly.

Keep an eye on the situation, and the second you see any abuse or neglect, report it. Sadly, I doubt there's much you can do in advance.

poolsclosed Fri 17-Jul-15 01:21:12

Are they the sort who might listen if you explain to them why you think it's a bad idea? Because that's what I would do. Poor puppy sad

BertrandRussell Fri 17-Jul-15 01:36:39

Nothing I can say really. On the face of it they are perfect dog owners. Plenty of money, space, someone home all the time.....But, but, but

sykadelic Fri 17-Jul-15 01:44:45

my former work colleague is exactly like this. She wanted this adorable puppy that was looking for a home but I knew the girl with the puppy and assured her that that was NOT the best choice... she likes to think of herself as a pet person but she's a sucky pet person :S

Cherryblossomsinspring Fri 17-Jul-15 07:17:59

You'll have to explain why they would be bad owners. They can afford it, have space and someone there all the time. That sounds pretty good for any dog......

BertrandRussell Fri 17-Jul-15 08:01:57

Oh, Lord- I can't 't really say any more.....

The puppy will often be alone with one of them, sometimes for up to a week, and that person is often not capable of looking after anything- including themselves.......

TheoriginalLEM Fri 17-Jul-15 08:14:20

quite an assumption you are making. unless of course the other person is disabled.

BertrandRussell Fri 17-Jul-15 08:28:29

I'm honestly not making any assumptions at all. Really. I am right about this. And no they are not disabled- now that's a bit of an assumption!

RinkRashDerbyKisses Fri 17-Jul-15 08:31:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now