Talk

Advanced search

to not want cuts to the BBC?

(273 Posts)
Mintyy Thu 16-Jul-15 19:56:25

Can anyone explain to me how cutting the BBC massively will actually improve my life?

I hardly watch tv. I do listen to a lot of radio. But I fervently hope the BBC isn't going to change too much.

It is something that the rest of the world envies us for and I fear it may be one of those things we don't miss until it has gone.

SwedishEdith Thu 16-Jul-15 19:59:34

I agree. But then I'm always surprised about the numbers of people on here to claim to never watch live tv (What, never watch a major news story or sporting event?) so, I guess, there are lots of people for whom the BBC doesn't really figure. But, they won't appreciate how it pulls up standards for all.

SaucyJack Thu 16-Jul-15 20:02:17

Makes no odds to me either way.

We ditched the talking noisy box years ago. We watch crappy American series on Netflix, and listen to Heart FM blush.

We are a Beeb free zone.

acatisnotjustforeaster Thu 16-Jul-15 20:09:06

I agree the relative impartiality of the bbc is the most important thing at stake here. Give that up and we will be subjected to murdochesque propaganda as the norm. Plus the government can keep their filthy mitts of Doctor Who, Sherlock, Jeremy Vine, Radio 4 and ceebeebies.

meglet Thu 16-Jul-15 20:10:41

yanbu. A tenner a month for hours of quality tv. I don't watch much else.

Mintyy Thu 16-Jul-15 20:12:42

I can't bear the constant adverts on the commercial channels! I'd watch even less tv and listen to less radio if I had to endure that.

Elllimam Thu 16-Jul-15 20:18:21

I don't really watch/listen to much BBC programming. I occasionally listen to radio 4 when I don't have a audio cd in the car but it wouldn't bother me to lose it. I don't think it is particularly impartial (the Scottish election as a case in point). I can cope with the amount of money it currently costs but if they bring in means tested payments and we have to start paying much more for it I will be annoyed.

Icantbelieveitsnotbutter Thu 16-Jul-15 20:20:05

I never watch the BBC. I watch amazon prime of a night time.

GeorgeYeatsAutomaticWriter Thu 16-Jul-15 20:22:28

I don't want cuts to the BBC, but I hope they find a way of changing the license fee so that you have to have a license to access the iPlayer.

DadfromUncle Thu 16-Jul-15 20:28:54

I have genuinely given up live telly - I have no interest in 99% of Sports - on the BBC I watch Question Time, University challenge and an occasional documentary - all on catchup. If they close that "loophole" I won't be watching those (unless they are going make us get a licence to watch anyone's catchup services.

I have no interest in Doctor Who, Sherlock, Jeremy Vine, Cooking Shows, Soap Operas, Antique shows, The Voice, Snog Marry Avoid, Strictly of any period dramas or natural history stuff. I do listen to Radio4 and 5 but find it cripplingly London Meeja centric for the most part, however, I'd pay for a radio licence if they reintroduced one.

I stopped watching live telly and accordingly packed in paying my licence (100% legally BTW) when the BBC was doing things like giving Mark Byford nearly a million quid in redundancy, 3 million in pension and then letting him come on Radio 5 and plug his book. I expect that from the likes of SKY (which I also would never pay for) but not the BBC.

They are going to have to buck their ideas up a lot (or change the rules) before I'll be paying for a licence again.

springbabydays Thu 16-Jul-15 20:29:19

I love the BBC and I think it's a bargain. However I do think they should cut back on excess travel (eg sending newsreaders to foreign lands to present the news) and excessively high presenter salaries.

SwedishEdith Thu 16-Jul-15 20:29:28

I think that is planned isn't it? Which seems fair enough to me.

kali110 Thu 16-Jul-15 20:34:02

The only channel of the bbc i watch and now they're getting rid of it, so now i couldn't care less.
There is nothing on the bbc 1,2 or 4 i watch now bar eastenders sometimes.

fearandloathinginambridge Thu 16-Jul-15 20:34:21

I think BBC radio is top notch. I would hate to see that output change.

FuzzyWizard Thu 16-Jul-15 20:38:08

I watch very little live TV but watch an awful lot of bbc programming on iplayer. Mock the week, qi, university challenge, bake off, the voice, Sherlock, doctor who etc. The bbc's factual programming for history, natural history and science are well worth the license fee at all. The bbc represents phenomenal value and pushes up the quality of programming on other channels. (Try watching any US history or science programming to see what I mean)

FuzzyWizard Thu 16-Jul-15 20:40:27

At all should be alone

VulcanWoman Thu 16-Jul-15 20:46:38

Having the BEEB Licence fee in this day and age with all the other channels free or otherwise is just not viable any longer. What are they afraid of, if it's as good as they think and say it is, give people a choice, switch the BEEB channels off unless you want to pay for them. Condense the best onto one pay for channel, sounds fair to me but no, too much profit in it as is. They'll not be getting another penny out of me, that's for sure. You don't need a Licence to watch catch up TV, not that I watch much from the BEEB anyway.

exLtEveDallasNoBollocks Thu 16-Jul-15 20:59:58

I'm another that rarely (if ever) uses the BBC. TV doesn't hold me that much anyway, and what I do watch is generally American made. Changes at the BBC won't affect me, unless the licence fee is scrapped and then I'll just have some more cash at the end of August. In afraid it's something that doesn't bother me at all.

Justanotherlurker Thu 16-Jul-15 21:07:43

I don't want the BBC to be scrapped but it does need to be trimmed, they are spread to thinly and the decent content is getting harder to find.

I also think they should introduce a license for Iplayer as I have noticed not only within my circle but also online that the most ardent supporters of the Beeb are quick to point out that they don't own a TV and use catch up, so are expecting everyone else to pay for it.

I personally don't see any harm with asking them to streamline as it is a bloated organisation (I worked in there dev department for there website 8 years ago and it was bloated then), and considering the BBC is effectively a government mouthpiece they won't disappear.

GraysAnalogy Thu 16-Jul-15 21:09:14

Surely cuts to BBC means worse for license payers?

I'd be happy if they'd stop sending me letters. I've told them I don't watch live TV. Or listen to radio. Still get them.

SoozeyHoozey Thu 16-Jul-15 21:11:26

Scrap the tv licence and let the BBC fend for itself. The licence fee is illogical in this day and age.

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Thu 16-Jul-15 21:13:46

YANBU, I think the bbc would be cheap at twice the price. I would pay the licence fee for radio 4 alone.
There is obviously stuff that is not for me, but there is loads I love.

lem73 Thu 16-Jul-15 21:14:32

I love the BBC and am happy to pay the license fee. On the other I resent every penny Sky takes. I do think it is a bloated organization and could do with some scaling back. They really need to look at BBC 3 and 4 for example. Also the BBC world news channel which is shown in other parts of the world is free to viewers there ie we're paying for it. It has no British news and seems to try very hard not to be controversial so I'm not sure who it is for.

Nevercallmehun Thu 16-Jul-15 21:16:58

I'm angry about cuts to the BBC. It's all I watch and listen to apart from ITV 4 for the cycling.

DadfromUncle Thu 16-Jul-15 21:17:20

Justanotherlurker

I own two TVs - neither of which has an aerial/sat connection. They are smart TVs used to watch catchup. I don't require a licence for that - I think it would be fair for the BBC to block me from iPlayer as I haven't paid, but I will be (entirely legally) watching the very occasional (it's honestly been weeks) prog.

I won't be paying for a licence until there's some evidence of an end to the Mark Byford type payoffs and other excesses - so far they have been unrepentant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now