Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to say to somebody

(10 Posts)
TobleroneBoo Thu 16-Jul-15 17:28:09

"I'm sorry, I can't keep hearing this"

Friend from work tells me the same thing every time we have a proper conversation. We have been through a lot within our company but every time we speak she always gears the topic back to how she didn't get a pay rise and why she didn't etc. I find it very awkward and there isn't very much I can say so WIBU to just say that? Would that be offensive?

User100 Thu 16-Jul-15 17:36:49

Yanbu. Be tactful the first time, be prepared to have to say it more than once and get gradually more blunt!

DameMargaretOfChalfont Thu 16-Jul-15 17:38:23

When she mentions it next time just say :-
"Yes, you've mentioned this before but it's history so lets move on".

Make sure you have a few reserve topics up your sleeve to turn the subject to.

DoJo Thu 16-Jul-15 19:00:51

'Well talking about it won't change things so let's focus on the positive - are you doing anything fun this summer?'

bigbumtheory Thu 16-Jul-15 20:39:46

"I'm sorry, I can't keep hearing this"

And why can't you use this for her repeated topic?

MammaTJ Thu 16-Jul-15 20:41:35

YANBU, the more tactful above me have explained how to go about it.

TobleroneBoo Fri 17-Jul-15 07:48:31

Bigbum I can, I'm just asking whether it would come across as rude.

Thanks all

bigbumtheory Fri 17-Jul-15 19:54:46

It would possibly if she didn't use on you, it's very abrupt. However, since she does turnabout is fair.

TobleroneBoo Fri 17-Jul-15 20:03:50

Oh sorry I think I was unclear, she doesn't say that to me she just tells me the same thing over and over

bored1602 Fri 17-Jul-15 22:42:31

I agree it's a little blunt. Maybe say something like 'It's a shame but of course it's probably a conversation for HR' with a smile. Still sympathising with her situation but making it pretty clear that it's not your problem and constantly involving you doesn't help.

That being said, I know exactly how you feel. Drives me mad listening to she same complaints by the same people about pay/hours when they refuse to bring it up with their line manager who might actually be able to help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now