Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask what levels your year 7 's are averaging at the end of the school year?

(22 Posts)
wineandpopcorn Thu 16-Jul-15 17:22:48

My DS revised so hard for his end of year exams, and trys so hard throughout the year, but doesn't seem to get anywhere sad. His results today show he's gone down a whole level in 2 subjects, and down sublevels in others. He's only gone up in 2 subjects. All the boasting mums are out on Facebook making it seem even worse. If this was your child's results would you arrange a meeting with the school/panic?

CoogerAndDark Thu 16-Jul-15 17:25:59

I wouldn't worry too much. English and Computing need work but there's plenty of time for him to get there.

CoogerAndDark Thu 16-Jul-15 17:27:05

I Would raise it at the next Parents' Evening if you are concerned.

Egosumquisum Thu 16-Jul-15 17:30:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wineandpopcorn Thu 16-Jul-15 17:30:30

English was apparently his best subject according to the teacher at parents evening last month, that's part of the reason I am confused!

BabyGanoush Thu 16-Jul-15 17:31:16

My DS grades are like that.

I would not worry. You can see from his maths exam he scored level 6 in his last test.

He works hard, that is good! He'll be fine.

What sort of saddo's post their kids' grades on facebook anyway?!

Is that a thing? Do people really do that??

wineandpopcorn Thu 16-Jul-15 17:32:28

They did exams at beginning of year too, so I think it must be compared with those results.

ghostyslovesheep Thu 16-Jul-15 17:33:31

between a 7c and a 4a

not posted on FB

wineandpopcorn Thu 16-Jul-15 17:34:27

They are out in force on Facebook today, it makes me feel so sad and worried for my son. I am possibly over reacting as he's being bullied too, so any knock back is bigger for him at the moment and he really thought his exams had gone well

mrsruffallo Thu 16-Jul-15 17:36:09

I would never post results on facebook. I would discuss the science and English results with the respective teachers and ask what we could do over the holidays to improve. I wouldn't panic though, there's lots of time for improvement.

WorraLiberty Thu 16-Jul-15 17:36:22

I feel genuinely sorry for any child who has their privacy violated in that way by their parents.

It's just horrible to know things like this are being published on Facebook.

Egosumquisum Thu 16-Jul-15 17:37:06

Egosumquisum Thu 16-Jul-15 17:38:12

CoogerAndDark Thu 16-Jul-15 17:38:54

Please don't worry, those marks range from Fine to Excellent. Like most peoples' DC's scores, I imagine. It's only the boasty baggages who feel the need to plaster them on FB.

wineandpopcorn Thu 16-Jul-15 17:41:19

Thank you everyone for the advice, I feel so out of my depth in decoding it all, alongside trying to keep my sons spirits up with the bullying etc

mrsruffallo Thu 16-Jul-15 17:43:49

Is he being bullied? Poor lad.

CoogerAndDark Thu 16-Jul-15 17:44:47

Is there a feedback form with the report? You could acknowledge that he hasn't done as well as expected and that you will fully support him to reach his targets in Yr8, together with the teachers.
And/or wait until Sept and ask to speak to those teachers or the Head Of Year.
Are you worried the bullying may be a contributory factor I.e impacting on his performance in the exams?

pointythings Thu 16-Jul-15 17:45:48

I'd say focus on the bullying rather than the grades - a lot of them will be based on his Yr6 SATs, which are notoriously unreliable. And he's doing very well in most subjects anyway, though the English is something I would keep an eye on.

DD1 is coming to the end of Yr7 and her grades range from 4a (PE) to 7a (science). She hasn't 'gone backwards' in any of her subjects but that's mainly down to her primary school not playing the SATs game - it does them no good in their OFSTED but it does help the children when they hit Yr7 as there's no shock.

Egosumquisum Thu 16-Jul-15 17:46:44

SquareStarfish Thu 16-Jul-15 18:24:57

I would be more concerned with the fact the school is still using old style levels which have been scrapped and are no longer compatible with the new curriculum.

educatingarti Thu 16-Jul-15 18:28:42

I work as a tutor. Really you don't need to panic. I'd talk to his English teacher next term regarding "best subject" vs grade, but really don't worry. Make sure your son reads over the summer holiday.

wineandpopcorn Thu 16-Jul-15 20:04:53

Thank you educatingarti, I am going to take him to the library and get him to read at least half an hour every evening during the holidays

Squarestarfish, the school is not the best from what I have seen over the last year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now