Talk

Advanced search

Tutoring?

(15 Posts)
AuntyBatshit Thu 16-Jul-15 07:53:26

Hi. I posted this I Home Ed, and didn't know where else to post. Been asked by a friend to help her ds with his maths. I'm not a tutor: I've been asked solely because I'm quite good at maths. Fds has autism and is really good with computers etc. I'm thinking along the lines of seeing a sum, or a times table, as a "picture"...a puzzle, if you like. Can anyone direct me to websites etc, where I can gather some inspiration? Tia.

Collaborate Thu 16-Jul-15 08:07:16

Is it really such a good idea for you to be doing this? You're not a teacher, and have no qualifications for teaching those with autism.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 16-Jul-15 08:21:51

Most parents (and mainstream teachers) don't have qualifications for teaching children with autism either, but they manage. If fds is high functioning and learning in mainstream education then there's no reason why a family friend shouldn't help him with his maths. No tips on how you go about it though, OP, I am terrified of numbers smile

PurpleDaisies Thu 16-Jul-15 08:24:45

How old is her ds?

AuntyBatshit Thu 16-Jul-15 08:24:50

It really is just helping him out. Not formal "tutoring" as such..maybe i should have rethought the thread title. blush

SeenSheen Thu 16-Jul-15 08:30:09

Step by step logic I think, ensuring that he follows. Then get him to tell you the steps as if he's the teacher and you work some out.

AuntyBatshit Thu 16-Jul-15 08:30:22

Purple he's ten.

AuntyBatshit Thu 16-Jul-15 08:33:44

Sheen he's an extremely logical person so that may be the way forward.

PurpleDaisies Thu 16-Jul-15 08:33:54

I work with GCSE kids so he's a bit younger than my pupils. You'll need to get a copy of the National curriculum (key stage 2) so you know what he needs to know. The TES website has lots of free resources (you need to register but it's free). If you post on the primary education board you might get some teachers at the right level who can help you.

PurpleDaisies Thu 16-Jul-15 08:35:38

Sorry, forgot the link!
www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resources

chelle792 Thu 16-Jul-15 08:38:43

The CGP books are pretty good - they have both workbooks and revision guides. With an autistic kid, best working through using logic. I'm a tutor and work with an ASD child, he really struggles with visual learning and finds things such as symmetry really tricky.

gordonpym Thu 16-Jul-15 09:13:16

More than sheets and books, with a very digital boys I would use the resources on the internet. www.mathletics.com.au of course, you have to pay but for homeschooled children you get a 50% discount I believe.
Khan Academy is also nice and totally free www.khanacademy.org .

Good luck. It is very nice of you to help your DFS

Sighing Thu 16-Jul-15 09:15:11

Sumdog?

muminhants1 Thu 16-Jul-15 10:35:24

You don't need to be a teacher to help someone out. I tutored someone in German when I was doing my A level, I didn't have any qualifications to teach. She went from getting Cs in German to getting As, so I think that I was effective.

MiaowTheCat Thu 16-Jul-15 12:34:21

The Nrich site might have some good starting points.

There used to be an official publication called something like "mathematical challenges for able pupils" which had some lovely mathematical-based problems in it that I dipped into quite a lot for a starting point for things when I used to do a lot of tutoring (you can always go up or down from their stated year group if you're wanting things easier or harder) - I'm an ex primary teacher and used to do a lot of tutoring as a sideline along with supply.

Trying to remember where else I used to get starting points from - the TES resources a lot, but the quality of what's on there is variable since it's user-uploaded, primary resources - again variable quality but obviously I had a lot of my own commercially bought resources and things I'd made myself over the years that I used more than anything else.

The slightly zany "oh we're so funny" way the CGP books are written does my head in but they are good at covering stuff.

Also worth raking through the bbc bitesize stuff (although it seems that they're in the middle of re-doing all of that).

That might give you some starting points anyway - been a good 3 years or so since I tutored or taught. My URLs are all completely out of date so I've hopefully just given you enough to find the relevant stuff on google.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now