Talk

Advanced search

To be really worried about my dd2?

(37 Posts)
Littlefluffyclouds81 Thu 16-Jul-15 00:24:58

Sorry for the blatant post here for traffic. My dd2 is 5 next week. Last night she woke up and came into my room crying, which isn't too unusual if she's had a bad dream. She got into bed with me and fell asleep again straight away.

This morning she got up, went for a wee, then burst into tears. I found her sitting on the bathroom floor and she said she couldn't walk and her leg hurted. I asked her where and she pointed to the top of her thigh. Her legs were absolutely fine when she went to bed and as far as I know she hasn't had any injuries.

I kept her home today and all day she has been quite whingy and not walking properly, kind of limping and kind of walking like John Wayne. She's also been really tired and yawning a lot which isn't like her, she is like the Duracell bunny and impossible to wear out normally.

I've had to carry her up and down the stairs today as she says her leg hurts too much to do it herself.

We went to the supermarket and she sat in the trolley as she couldn't really walk very well, and kept saying she was cold, which is unlike her, normally she's really warm, but her skin felt really cold to touch.

My instincts tell me something is really wrong, and I wanted to take her to the doctors, but she got really distressed (she has an irrational fear of doctors), so I thought I'd wait until tomorrow and see how she is. To balance it out, she went for 2 fairly short rides on her scooter with no problems, and also went to her swimming lesson, though she looked really vacant and spaced out while she was there.

She's definitely not putting it on, she's been trying to walk normally because she doesn't want to go to the doctors but it's like her legs just aren't working the way they're supposed to.

I know this is quite a random set of symptoms but wondering if anyone has any idea what could be wrong? I'm definitely taking her to the docs tomorrow if she's no better. It's her 5th birthday party on Saturday and we're going to Thailand for a month on Tuesday so I'm really hoping it's nothing serious.

googley2 Thu 16-Jul-15 00:31:07

She could have a bug/virus or it could even be growing pains - my daughter has them quite often and I get similar symptoms. I have found Calcium tablets have been a great help for her bone pain and Calpol when other symptoms strike. My daughter is just getting over a virus and was shivering this evening and put my jacket on her to stay warm. If shes not better by Monday I would take her doctor before going abroad but this up down weather is creating a lot of bugs at the moment.

RealityCheque Thu 16-Jul-15 00:33:19

She needs to be checked over by a doctor. Please don't delay further.

Hopefully it will just be a virus. flowers

scatterthenuns Thu 16-Jul-15 00:37:06

She needs to doctor. flowers

scatterthenuns Thu 16-Jul-15 00:37:21

a*

Theycallmemellowjello Thu 16-Jul-15 00:58:55

Call nhs direct right away.

bestguess23 Thu 16-Jul-15 01:01:41

I debated not posting this but a few things jumped out to me in your post particularly the walking like John Wayne, indicating the top of her thigh and crying when going to the bathroom. Is there any chance she could have been assaulted? Sorry, I know it's an awful suggestion but those few things really jarred for me. I know it's highly unlikely but I wanted to just flag it.

VerityWaves Thu 16-Jul-15 01:03:31

This sounds like a nasty urinary tract infection to me. It can affect emotions as well as physical - leg pain. Needs checking absolutely immediately.

BarbarianMum Thu 16-Jul-15 01:09:33

I was thinking UTI too. I think you should take her to the doctor tomorrow.

UterusUterusGhali Thu 16-Jul-15 01:12:45

Tbh I though the same as Bestguest.
I know that's an icky thing to think, but that's what my first thought was.
It could be growing pains etc.

clearasmud Thu 16-Jul-15 01:15:33

I don't want to diagnose on the internet but this sounds exactly like what my child had three years ago.

Is she presenting with a "wide-based, stiff-legged gait" or "toe walking" (due to pain)?
You've already mentioned she has pain in her (upper) legs although it is usually the lower legs.
Did she recently have a cold, even something mild enough to still attend school?

If you feel this matches her symptoms accurately I can PM you. Doctor's care and monitoring is needed but it does usually resolve itself in 1-3 weeks. Only reason I feel it IS necessary to possibly armchair diagnose is that two pediatricians were unable to diagnose it. A doctor friend of mine suggested consulting an orthopedic surgeon who instantly suggested the correct diagnosis.

ATravellingCircusCame Thu 16-Jul-15 01:26:43

Sounds like a UTI to me too

Ruledbycatsandkids6 Thu 16-Jul-15 01:35:18

Take her to the doctors and see.

Turquoiseblue Thu 16-Jul-15 03:54:22

What you describe could be pain from her hip joint it is important to get this checked out as it could be something could be nothing but she needs a dr or children s a and e and possibly an x ray to check out all is ok. If she has symptoms still tomorrow I would go and get it checked.

The reason she might have tolerated swimming would be no weight on the joint so not as sore.

textfan Thu 16-Jul-15 04:02:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

textfan Thu 16-Jul-15 04:03:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 16-Jul-15 04:07:24

Yes, take her to the doctor, please. Hopefully it is nothing serious but it really needs to be checked.

wowfudge Thu 16-Jul-15 04:13:03

Hope the doctor is helpful today OP. With regard to the forthcoming holiday - you do have travel insurance don't you? Just thinking that if you are advised not to travel at least you will be covered.

SueGeneris Thu 16-Jul-15 04:23:17

Definitely take her to the dr - they take this stuff seriously. If you ask to speak to the GP they will probably see her the same day.

My DS suddenly stopped walking a couple of years ago because his hip was hurting so much. GP sent us to hospital where they thoroughly checked him out inc X ray. It turned out to be irritable hip - nothing serious, self resolving, kids can get it following a virus - but there were other things they wanted to rule out.

TheHouseOnBellSt Thu 16-Jul-15 06:13:10

it sounds like a urine infection....the pain can be confusing for small children I hope she's better soon.

littlejohnnydory Thu 16-Jul-15 07:15:58

You definitely need to take her to the doctor. Don't delay. Hopefully it is just a virus but more serious things need to be ruled out.

Fallout4 Thu 16-Jul-15 07:19:28

My dd hates the doctor too and has epic meltdowns (ASD). I would however never let that stop me from seeking medical advice. Hopefully your dd is better today but if not then GP asap.
Hope she is ok.

tshirtsuntan Thu 16-Jul-15 07:22:27

Certain vitamin deficiencies can can cause unexplained leg pains (vit D the main culprit I think) definitely visit the gp.

Noeuf Thu 16-Jul-15 07:24:58

I was going to suggest irritable hip too - would fit with being poorly.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Thu 16-Jul-15 10:06:11

Thanks for the replies everyone, I started the thread and promptly passed out!

Re the possibility of assault, that couldn't have happened as I'm a lone parent and she's with me the whole time except when she's at school. She doesn't have any males in her life.

She has had a cold and a cough for what seems like months now, nothing major that's prevented her from going to school but it's been there.

Clearasmud, yes the symptoms do sound like what you describe, except she definitely seems to think it's the top of her leg that's hurting. She pointed to the front of her thigh, almost half way down, not her inner thigh but on the inner side of the front, IYSWIM.

Yes I have travel insurance so hopefully if we can't travel I'll be ok. I'd be so gutted, I'm having a book published about a horrificly abusive relationship I was in years ago, and I used the money from it to pay for the holiday, we've all been looking forward to it so much, and I kind of feel like we deserve it after what we've been through.

Dd2 is still asleep. I just checked her and she stirred but went back to sleep again. I'll see how she is when she wakes up and definitely take her to the doctors if she's not better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now