Talk

Advanced search

to persist with potty training?

(7 Posts)
AlmondAmy Wed 15-Jul-15 23:04:09

DD is 3 and undergoing assessment for ASC; she has lots of sensory processing difficulties but is beginning nursery school in September so I'm trying to toilet trainher ffirst because she hates others touching her so wouldn't allow her nappy to be changed.

We started last week and she's having 1-2 accidents per day, which I think isn't bad. However, I'm taking her to the toilet 10 mins after food/drink and she's going then. She doesn't seem to know when she needs to go and hasn't once said she needs to go. DP thinks I should give up because at nursery they won't be able to take her like I do, but I think that over the summer she'll learn what the need feels like and start taking herself more. Aibu to persist or should I accept she isn't ready?

BlackeyedSusan Wed 15-Jul-15 23:06:57

how does she feel about the accidents?

not unusual for asd children to be late training.

DisappointedOne Wed 15-Jul-15 23:07:12

She doesn't sound ready AT ALL.

Vijac Wed 15-Jul-15 23:14:29

I don't think 1-2 accidents a day after a week sounds like she absolutely isn't ready. If she isn't showing resistance to being potty trained then I would persist. If the accidents don't reduce after another couple of weeks or more importantly if she rejects being trained the leave it a bit. Nursery should be able to support you in the training.

AlmondAmy Thu 16-Jul-15 22:53:40

Amazingly she hasn't been bothered by the accidents. No accidents at all today but she hasn't said she needs to go off her own back once

MissMuesli Thu 16-Jul-15 23:31:35

I found that I needed to let my daughter wet herself a few times to understand what it felt like to be bursting for a wee. But that was without any additional needs so I'm not sure that would help you really. I'm not sure your daughter sounds completely ready yet but then at the same time if she isn't resisting potty training and is happy it might 've worth continuing.

I realise that all contradicts itself! hmm

MissMuesli Thu 16-Jul-15 23:33:06

Just to add my daughter wasn't upset t all when she had the few accidents she did. I was very gentle with her and never told her off/ made her feel bad etc so allowing a few accidents was positive for her but wouldn't necessarily be for another child!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now