Talk

Advanced search

To think the quality of customer service in UK is appalling and getting worse?

(58 Posts)
textfan Wed 15-Jul-15 21:57:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

keepingsecrecy Wed 15-Jul-15 22:02:51

I agree. Lots of disinterested staff in shops

No wonder people shop online

textfan Wed 15-Jul-15 22:06:31

Thereshegoesagain Wed 15-Jul-15 22:08:13

And non existent customer service. i.e. bloody self service tills.
I HATE THHHHHEEEEMMMM.
I'd rather have a bored checkout person ignoring me while putting my shopping through than stand in front of one of those bloody things with it screaming ' please wait for an assistant' at me.

DadfromUncle Wed 15-Jul-15 22:10:20

YANBU and shopping online doesn't always help. If you need to phone someone or report a fault or problem, all the systems seem designed to keep customers at arm's length and discourage any kind of interaction except giving the company money.

I work for a US company and spend time there from time to time and am always struck by how much better at this stuff they are (albeit not perfect).

I think big companies in the UK are all in a kind of cartel of poor service - so that there's no incentive to improve. It's especially bad for utilities where they seem to compete to have the worst customer service.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 15-Jul-15 22:11:37

I suppose they find it hard to be motivated on such shit wages and conditions these days.
I find the worst places to be the stores that should know better.
Debenhams is rubbish, boots not much better.
The best ones I have had recently were M&S and our cheap knock down beauty shop where I had the best customer service ever. I had taught the girl though grin
Please complain to their head office, they do take the complaints seriously and you may get some freebies.

Justmuddlingalong Wed 15-Jul-15 22:14:20

Whilst I agree that some customer service in the UK can be appalling, as a person who works on the other side of the till, I have come across some pig ignorant, impatient arseholes.

DadfromUncle Wed 15-Jul-15 22:15:08

Thereshegoesagain I am in a long-term boycott of my Local ASDA due to their SS tills.

I don't mind using the ones in some places - but in my local ASDA I 100% Guarantee that no matter how careful I am to place everything in the right place properly and not much about with it, it will throw a wobbly multiple times in even the smallest shop. I asked one assistant why it did it once and from the vague answer it seemed that certainly more stolen items (some meat in my case) always trigger an assistance required so they can give your bag the once over ......
I e-mailed them but they didn't bother to reply

AlpacaPicnic Wed 15-Jul-15 22:15:19

<sigh> last week I would have debated this with you...

I work for 'dept A'. We pride ourselves on 'nothing is too much trouble, as long as our customer is happy we will do our best' attitude.
Last week I had to help out in 'dept B.' Who appear to hate all the people. And the staff member I was helping was saying things like 'customers come in here and expect us to do everything for them' - well, fancy! Customers visiting a help-desk and expecting help...?

I was cringing with embarrassment. The managers have asked for feedback on the experience and I'm not sure how honest to be...

RambleOn Wed 15-Jul-15 22:16:23

Completely agree. If First Direct ever move their call centre abroad, I will despair. They are brilliant while every other company is poor to godawful.

DadfromUncle Wed 15-Jul-15 22:17:02

As for call centres where "your call is important to us" - what an insult! It clearly isn't that important, or you'd have enough people to answer the phone.

TheHumourlessHarpy Wed 15-Jul-15 22:19:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

molyholy Wed 15-Jul-15 22:20:27

I suppose they find it hard to be motivated on such shit wages and conditions these days.

This^

If people had the chance to really care about where they worked and weren't irreplaceable in a heartbeat, maybe things would be different.

but....

I agree. Especially in supermarkets when cashiers don't even look at you when they serve you, shouting to their colleagues how shit it is to work there, shocking.

SiobhanSharpe Wed 15-Jul-15 22:25:37

alpaca pleeeease be totally honest, it's the only way that things might get changed.

LittleMissIntrovert Wed 15-Jul-15 22:29:43

I work in retail so try and give good service and a smile, as I know how seriously lacking a lot of places are now with customer service.

I was in Iceland the other day, and the service is normally very good, but the member of staff on the till was serving another member of staff, she took ages chatting, then didn't even acknowledge me when she served me, and carried on talking to another colleague, while taking ages to serve me as she wasn't concentrating! I would complain if there was any point.

I am amazed with the attitude by some people in my workplace. They get away with being rude to colleagues and customers because they are friends with the managers!

Working in retail is shit, rubbish pay and managers treat you like shit sad I am still polite though.

treaclesoda Wed 15-Jul-15 22:29:49

Years ago I worked for a well known company. I was amazed to discover that they considered their customers to be privileged to be 'allowed' to be their customers and their staff were privileged to be allowed to work there, to the extent that we were encouraged to view our salary as a bonus, rather than something we were entitled to. The entire mentality was one of 'ooh, lucky them, getting to use our services'.

For a young enthusiastic person, fairly new to the world of work, it was mind blowing. After a few years of being ground down by the sheer hatred that our customers had for us, and the poor pay and poor leadership, it became so so hard to give good service because it was like swimming against the tide. Most of us wanted to do our best but the management made it almost impossible. You simply can't provide a decent service to someone who has had to queue for half an hour, because no matter how helpful you are it doesn't outweigh the fact that you've made them wait for half an hour.

chickenfuckingpox Wed 15-Jul-15 22:37:58

yes its gone from bad to worse i got a phone call at six am one morning to tell me my appointment was cancelled i pointed out it was six am and my appointment was not till the following day so there was no rush she snipped at me it wasn't six am where she was i think my reply was along the lines of ah well done you then i hung up

i rang an indian call centre bless him his accent was so strong i could not understand him he ended up transferring me to a colleague who wasn't much better but had a lot more patience and would ask me after every sentence you understand? yes? ok good!

the one i felt most sorry for was a cheerful lady in a hot country telling me it was a beautiful day over there (it was pissing it down in england) but she couldn't see it because they have no windows sad still she said it was a wonderful country to visit i just could never remember the name of the place!

BadLad Wed 15-Jul-15 23:38:23

This is why I have taken as much as of my custom as I can to Amazon. Never had a single problem with their customer service.

textfan Thu 16-Jul-15 00:51:24

CassieBearRawr Thu 16-Jul-15 00:59:04

A typical day in many customer service jobs involves too much work and not enough staff for criminally low wages and probably little to no job security or work life balance. I'm not surprised when service then suffers.

Andrewofgg Thu 16-Jul-15 01:04:58

Then there's the supermarket near my office which claims to open at 7.00. By 7.05 there is a crowd outside and even then the type with the keys keeps turning back to speak to colleagues rather than hurry up and get the doors open.

And when they do open up there is only one staffed till open and that is not ready with change and the lottery machine (which is all people want a staffed till for, that and cigarettes) up and running. No wonder people prefer the self-service machines which are recent model and work well.

projectgreen Thu 16-Jul-15 01:07:38

SusanIvanova Thu 16-Jul-15 01:11:20

the targets in my line if work grind you down. I find myself wishing for a broken arm to get a day off.

Lurkedforever1 Thu 16-Jul-15 01:37:08

It's minimum wage and often zero hour contracts, or silly rotas, so hardly surprising it's shit, hardly motivation to go out of their way. And a lot of people are really rude and sniffy for no good reason to staff, so quite possible being abused by a previous customer has put them off more. Usually you find the staff are better at places that pay them more

textfan Thu 16-Jul-15 01:40:36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now