Talk

Advanced search

To feel uncomfortable about this drone type thing?

(67 Posts)
SerialBox Wed 15-Jul-15 14:33:55

My down stairs neighbours son (43ish) has a new drone type toy(?)

He uses it in the back garden and it flits past my kitchen and bathroom windows.

It has a camera attached. I have no idea if it's recording but would like to think it's not but can't be sure. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

Am I being ridiculous?

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 15-Jul-15 14:35:35

I wouldn't like it either.

SerialBox Wed 15-Jul-15 14:37:33

I would feel silly saying something - like I'm accusing him of being a peeping Tom when he's most likely just playing with the thing. But I'm also fed up of closing my blinds all the time because I feel weird about it.

ollieplimsoles Wed 15-Jul-15 14:39:04

No! Look up the rules surrounding them, I think you are not allowed to fly them within so many metres of a private dwelling or something. Then knock on his door and tell him you don't want it around your windows...

chelle792 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:40:22

There is a law that says they aren't allowed to be flown within 50 (?) metres of any properties. I had problems with a neighbour doing this....however he was hovering outside of my bathroom window when I was in the bath, etc.

Could you make an anonymous pcso call?

SophiePendragon Wed 15-Jul-15 14:41:20

It could well be recording and I think there must be something you can do to prevent him using it near your property but I'm not sure what.

chelle792 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:41:50

droneflight.co.uk/pages/summary-of-uk-legal-requirements

150 metres
sorry x

SophiePendragon Wed 15-Jul-15 14:41:57

Bloody things need banning anyway - too much risk to planes.

JinglyJanglyJungleBigGameTours Wed 15-Jul-15 14:42:13

I'd feel really uncomfortable too.

I'm pretty sure I remember a case where a man was warned by the police for flying his drone with a camera over his neighbours gardens, but googling it hasn't turned up anything. But I did find this BBC article saying that "An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must always be flown at least 50m (164ft) distance away from a person, vehicle, building or structure"

FenellaFellorick Wed 15-Jul-15 14:44:12

Stick two fingers up at it or make a sign saying piss off you wanker.

You'll soon know if he's recording you.

But to be serious grin no it's not unreasonable to feel uncomfortable. I would. You don't know if he is or not and that's not nice and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable in your own home.
My son (16) has one of those and no way would I let him fly it around a neighbour's windows.

Perhaps have a word. Tell him you find it quite irritating and ask him to stop it flying around your windows.

BreconBeBuggered Wed 15-Jul-15 14:45:52

YANBU to feel uncomfortable. I'd be bloody furious. It shouldn't be anywhere near your windows. I wouldn't advise taking potshots at it, but perhaps a few days of careless but enthusiastic ball games in your garden would put him off.

SerialBox Wed 15-Jul-15 14:51:32

Thanks I'll maybe pop down for a quick word next time he's out. I know people who know him and have been told he's a bit odd which probably contributes to me feeling uneasy. Just wasn't sure if I was being daft!

Reignbeau Wed 15-Jul-15 14:54:44

Oh yes Brecon it would be a shame if the DCs suddenly acquired super soakers, does water damage them? Ask him to stop it first though but that's always your back up option.

penguinsaresmall Wed 15-Jul-15 14:59:59

OP I was thinking he was just a kid but then noticed you said he's 43 - which makes it a bit creepy IMO. Definitely talk to your neighbour.

SerialBox Wed 15-Jul-15 15:06:49

Yeah he's around that age as went to school with DDs Dad if I recall correctly. ExH said something like "watch him he's a f'n creep" when we moved into this flat but I didn't take much notice and for 3 years he's been perfectly pleasant to me and DD but someone else said something too and it's always been at the back of my mind. Other than him smoking weed outside and me being able to smell it in the house in the summer when the windows are open he's never bothered me one bit.

Cant even go back and ask DDs Dad why he said it since there is no contact. Can't remember who the other person was now either!

I'm a fair bit younger so have never come across the guy socially.

SerialBox Wed 15-Jul-15 15:07:14

Sorry that was a completely irrelevant ramble blush

OttiliaVonBCup Wed 15-Jul-15 15:11:22

Can you borrow a friendly teenager to moon him whenever he flies the bloody thing round?

SistersofPercy Wed 15-Jul-15 15:11:40

It would be a shame if you accidentally shone a laser pen into the camera lens one day wouldn't it? wink

SerialBox Wed 15-Jul-15 15:21:17

What would a laser pen do? I think I have one somewhere. Got confiscated from DD when she got it in a party bag.

DoJo Wed 15-Jul-15 15:27:30

The aircraft must not be flown: within 50 metres of any person except during take-off or landing, the aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person except for the person in charge of the aircraft.

From the site linked earlier - sounds like he is unaware of his legal position, so it is probably worth telling him that he's breaking the law before you bust out your supersoakers and laser pen...

SerialBox Wed 15-Jul-15 15:32:20

I am going to speak to him next time he has it out. Not very good at conversations like that though. Will just need to wing it

SistersofPercy Wed 15-Jul-15 16:36:44

serial, in a nutshell, fry the camera grin The more technical explanation is:

Lasers emit concentrated beams of light, which can heat up sensitive surfaces (like the eye's retina) and cause damage. Camera sensors are, in general, more susceptible to damage than the human eye

It might damage the odd pixel of the camera, or, it might bugger it completely.

Egosumquisum Wed 15-Jul-15 16:40:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DadfromUncle Wed 15-Jul-15 16:41:16

OP When you fill in your shotgun licence application just don't put "shooting down next door's drone" in the reason section.

SophiePendragon Wed 15-Jul-15 17:24:27

You could get the police to have a word. I don't know if they would take it seriously though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now