Talk

Advanced search

to be parent governor whilst pregnant.

(11 Posts)
wolf14 Wed 15-Jul-15 13:49:54

Had a letter from my child's school saying they are looking for two parent governors and to apply via the office. I'm currently a sahp. .I do love it but finding the grass isn't always greener. I would love to be a parent governor but I'm currently 6 months pregnant. Do you think it's unreasonable to apply being as in 3 months I will have a new born.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 15-Jul-15 13:52:47

Depends if you can maintain the commitment with a newborn?

Contraryish Wed 15-Jul-15 13:55:12

The commitment isn't that great, normally a two-hour meeting once a month at most, plus the occasional visit to school (maybe once a term). So if you could get cover for that level of commitment, it shouldn't be an issue. They may also want you to do a days governor training, but I expect they could be flexible on that, or you could do it before you have the baby!

hellsbellsmelons Wed 15-Jul-15 13:57:48

Of course not - go for it.
I went back to full time work when my DD was 3 months old.
I know people who are straight back to work.
I'm sure you'll cope just fine.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 15-Jul-15 15:21:37

Go for it - our staff governor did it and applied for it whilst on Mat leave.

BreconBeBuggered Wed 15-Jul-15 15:25:24

As long as you can rely on childcare, there's no reason why you shouldn't. Same applies to parent governors with primary children of any age, really.

Athenaviolet Wed 15-Jul-15 15:27:35

I did it when pg/new mum.

Never have it a second thought!

Jennifersrabbit Wed 15-Jul-15 15:32:58

I'm a parent governor and I can't see why not. Parent govs are often elected by the parent body so check that out and see how you feel about it.

Commitment at our school is a minimum of a two hour meeting twice a term, usually in the evenings. Then as they get their claws into you you get established, you may be asked to volunteer for various committees such as staffing, finance. Wherever your skills lie. They would love it if you had previous experience in education, management, HR, finance, data/statistics, IT - but just being a sensible parent with your head screwed on straight goes a long way too.

If you can get childcare to cover the meetings, or if the baby turns out to be the placid type that you can take with you, why not? potentially you might have more flexibility to get involved - many of our governors including me find it hard to juggle jobs with meetings and events during the school day.

Do NOT volunteer to interview for the new Head. Just a tip.

CarrotVan Wed 15-Jul-15 16:25:45

MrVan is a Chair of Governors and when on paternity leave for 3 months he just took DS to the meetings with him and it was fine - most of his meetings were 3-5pm though. My term as a governor ended just in my last trimester and I didn't renew because evening meetings (mine were 6-9.30pm) would have been too logistically difficult for us.

Radiatorvalves Wed 15-Jul-15 16:30:00

Do it! I was an independent member of a council standards committee when pg and with v small babies. Never an issue. Similar time commitment and it looked good on cv.

Happy36 Wed 15-Jul-15 16:31:48

I cannot say why not. The best qualification for governor is someone who wants to do the job. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now