Talk

Advanced search

To hate being given a shot on the house after eating a meal?

(47 Posts)
CruCru Wed 15-Jul-15 13:15:55

I have just had lunch at a nice restaurant with DH. We turned up at 12 and left around 12.45 ish.

When they brought the bill, they also brought us a shot of amaretto each. There aren't many things I fancy less than a shot at lunchtime. Why on earth bring it?

Must point out that we only drank soft drinks so it wasn't as though we were doing lunchtime boozing.

Glitoris Wed 15-Jul-15 13:16:44

You know you don't have to drink it,don't you?!

Nurserywindow Wed 15-Jul-15 13:16:46

Just don't drink it.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 15-Jul-15 13:17:46

Me too! I know it's a nice gesture but I always feel rude for not drinking it. Why not ask you first if you would like a complimentary one?

5Foot5 Wed 15-Jul-15 13:18:23

Sounds like a nice gesture - we go to one who sometime bring us a shot of limoncello. You don't have to drink it.

LuisSuarezTeeth Wed 15-Jul-15 13:19:29

How dare they! Tip on the waiter's head.

I'm scandalised grin

maybebabybee Wed 15-Jul-15 13:21:27

I don't like this either. I don't like the assumption that everyone drinks. I don't :S

WayneRooneysHair Wed 15-Jul-15 13:22:55

How fucking dare they do a nice gesture OP, I'm raging on your behalf.

MrsToddsShortcut Wed 15-Jul-15 13:24:01

I love it when I am offered a free shot. I think it's a really nice gesture. Sadly, I can never actually drink it as I am always driving (ex didn't drive and I am now a single parent). We used to go to a curry house where they had Benedictine and I could never have a glass. And they never offer me an alternative, like a nice coffee! envy

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 15-Jul-15 13:27:52

It is a nice gesture but I hate unnecessary waste when it comes to food and drink so it seems wrong to see a freshly poured drink just get chucked away.

CruCru Wed 15-Jul-15 13:28:24

It would be a nice gesture ... At 10:30pm after a long, boozy dinner. Isn't it a bit odd to bring someone a shot before 1pm?

I didn't drink it. We left a nice tip.

LuisSuarezTeeth Wed 15-Jul-15 13:32:13

It's always 6pm somewhere OP grin

Dinnerfor1 Wed 15-Jul-15 13:35:39

I was once brought a shot of sambuca at the end of a meal. When I wasn't going to drink it (I really dislike sambuca!), the waiter got very offended, and said that if I didn't drink it he would charge me for it angry

If that happened now I would tell them to piss of, but at the time I was young and timid, so I drank the shot!

roundtable Wed 15-Jul-15 13:37:50

Isn't it supposed to help with digesting your food?

1 o'clock is quite early though! grin

CarriesBucketOfBlood Wed 15-Jul-15 13:54:48

Please mentally send them to Carrie in the future.

BertrandRussell Wed 15-Jul-15 13:57:39

Isn't that a liqueur, rather than a shot?

Gruntfuttock Wed 15-Jul-15 14:02:23

It's not only restaurants that do things like this - I ordered a couple of items from a pen company yesterday afternoon. It was delivered this morning (free postage btw) and they'd only gone and put a bag of Haribo Starmix in the package as well as the things I ordered! shock

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:21:51

Its not a shot, its a digestif. And its a gift. If you don't want one, just say no thank when they bring it over.

Some people really will complain about anything.

AuntyMag10 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:25:14

You just needed to find something to post about didn't you.

LuisSuarezTeeth Wed 15-Jul-15 14:35:27

You just needed to find something to post about didn't you.
hmm

noodle8000 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:44:05

I don't like it either but understand it's done to be nice. It's just that I have had problems with alcohol and I don't need the temptation put right in front of me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would struggle with it and I think they should think of this before handing out alcohol to people who didn't request it.

Hassled Wed 15-Jul-15 14:45:19

I'd have drunk it. It's never the wrong time for Amaretto. And it's basically pudding, anyway.

Hassled Wed 15-Jul-15 14:47:07

I must also point out that when I read the thread title I envisaged some bizarre forced house-bidding-after-eating scenario - you've dined here, now you must buy a house. And I haven't even had a lunchtime Amaretto.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Wed 15-Jul-15 15:09:58

Where is this place?

<gets coat>

WorktoLive Wed 15-Jul-15 15:17:41

If they were bothered about the wastage they wouldn't do it. I always assume that the shots come from a bottle that's been open for ages or a weird flavour and they want to get rid of it. grin

I've only seen free shots once or twice in the UK, but it's just about standard in Spain (only in the evening though), but I don't like a lot of them. There is this disgusting liqueur called Pacheran (sp?) that is common in southern Spain and I always let DP have both shots because he likes it.

I like Limoncello and last time we were in Lanzarote they gave us this gorgeous creamy white liquer - I wish I had asked what it was so I could have brought a bottle back. But most of the time I have a little sip and leave the rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now