Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed about this - free cake for ds.

(24 Posts)
DoTheDuckFace Wed 15-Jul-15 09:37:14

I asked exp weeks ago if his sister would be able to make a cake for ds birthday. He said she would and I understood that this would be her gift to him.
Exp and I agreed to go halves on his gifts so he gave me the agreed amount and I choose and bought the gifts, wrapped them, picked out cards, got the balloons and organised his party.
Basically all ex had to do was organise the cake.
He has told me this morning that he is doing it with his sister, fair enough. But they need 9 figures for it.
The birthday and party is tomorrow. Where am I supposed to get the figures from today! Plus they come in a pack of 8 for £25 plus I am going to have to pay next day delivery now and be stuck in waiting for them! The cake will be thrown together last minute.
So am I being unreasonable to be annoyed and an ungrateful cow to complain at having to spend 25-35 on bloody figures!
I could have got a cake made for £40 with nice sugar paste figures.

Euphemia Wed 15-Jul-15 09:38:35

What kind of figures? What is the cake like? How old will DS be?

DamsonInDistress Wed 15-Jul-15 09:40:24

He can sort them out himself. Tell him you're happy with the cake without the figures but if he wants to have them feel free to order himself, and leave him to it. Or send a few of ds's favourite mini figures and say that he'd love to have those on top as a surprise.

TheMoa Wed 15-Jul-15 09:40:56

Did you actually speak to his sister?

If you had an idea of what you wanted, I guess you could have arranged the decorating of the thing a few weeks ago.

AlisonBlunderland Wed 15-Jul-15 09:41:44

They are doing the cake.
They sort out the figures

tigermoll Wed 15-Jul-15 09:41:54

The cake doesn't "need" figures (whatever they are). Tell your ex that icing and a few candles will do the job. And don't wait in all day for a delivery, ffs

GooodMythicalMorning Wed 15-Jul-15 09:43:40

Yanbu at all. Tell him to sort himself.

fuzzywuzzy Wed 15-Jul-15 09:44:27

order a Colin the caterpillar cake from m&s as a back up and leave your ex to find the figures himself.

parallax80 Wed 15-Jul-15 09:48:35

Surely the cake only "needs" one, or possibly two figures? (Unless your DS is 100,000,000 years old or you are measuring his age in seconds).

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 15-Jul-15 09:51:37

Go to M&S and pick one off the shelf.Years of parties and overshooting with cakes has taught me to buy them ready made.

They're nice, they're cheap, everyone eats them.

DoTheDuckFace Wed 15-Jul-15 09:52:19

It is going to be an octonauts cake, apparently three tiers although only one will be edible and the figures are to go on it for decoration.

I didn't speak to his sister, he lives with her so I trusted him to sort it out. I didn't give any specifics because it was her cake so didn't want to be too fussy. I just said an octonaut cake. I assumed they would make marzipan figures or something, I don't know I have never made a cake in my life.

prepperpig Wed 15-Jul-15 09:54:27

Does he have any octonauts figures you could bung on the top?

If not then they're going to have to buy some aren't they.

Snozberry Wed 15-Jul-15 09:59:48

To be honest I would go and buy a pack of plain cupcakes and stick something like these on them, cheaper and then you don't have to stress about whether ex will pull it together. He should sort it himself but is it worth the worry while you wait.

Balonder Wed 15-Jul-15 10:02:45

Does your DS have any figures? Could they be washed, sterilised and used? The three main characters might be enough for the cake. Though I made an octonauts cake DD's 2nd birthday and the little plastic figures I put on top are still played with 2 years later so they might be worth getting. I just used Barnacles, Kwazii and Peso

ohtheholidays Wed 15-Jul-15 10:08:13

You could buy some icing like this groceries.asda.com/product/icings-frostings-marzipans/dr-oetker-regalice-ready-to-roll-icing-coloured/910000326773 and make the figures,honestly it's not hard OP,it mold's very much like play dough.

Lots of supermarkets sell it now,it's usually under £3 a pack and if you have a look online there should be loads of step by step instructions,pictures,videos of how to make the figures.

DoTheDuckFace Wed 15-Jul-15 10:28:59

Oh thanks for the link holidays I will get some of that and I have ordered some figures in toysrus for £8. He will have to pick them up on the way home. They are smaller than the proper figures and you don't get the whole team but they will have to do.
He has got some figures but they have been all over the garden and are a bit battered, I wouldn't want to put them on a cake. He is getting more for his birthday.
Thanks everyone grin

WorraLiberty Wed 15-Jul-15 10:33:16

When you said they need 9 figures for it, I thought you meant that's how much they were charging you shock grin

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Wed 15-Jul-15 10:38:14

"Basically all ex had to do was organise the cake.
He has told me this morning that he is doing it with his sister, fair enough. But they need 9 figures for it. "

so - let him organise it!!

WixingMords Wed 15-Jul-15 10:42:28

Why are you getting the figures if exH and his sister is doing the cake?

WixingMords Wed 15-Jul-15 10:42:57

*are

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Wed 15-Jul-15 10:54:41

You know this is manipulation don't you OP?

You're sorting the figures because you don't want your son to go without (because you're a decent human being and you love your son), your ex has left it to the last minute to lay this demand at your door to piss you off and cause you stress.

So your options are: a) sort the figures, b) tell him sort it himself or c) tell him to forget it. B or C will lead to him being able to whine to friends and family about how unreasonable you are and A is easier for him (and cheaper). Whatever you choose, he wins because he knows you don't want your son to lose. flowers

I'm glad you've managed to sort out a cheaper option than you thought, and I hope your son has a great birthday tomorrow smile

DoTheDuckFace Wed 15-Jul-15 11:42:57

That is it in a nut shell Raptor one of the many reasons he is an ex.

Haha Worry now that would be unreasonable!!!

Thanks everyone!

DoTheDuckFace Fri 17-Jul-15 09:22:31

I got the icing blocks linked up thread by holidays found some step by step instructions on the internet and sent them to ex and to be fair the cake was amazing. They did a fantastic job and I was really impressed. DSs face was an absolute picture.
Thanks everyone!!

ohtheholidays Sat 18-Jul-15 10:27:37

That's brilliant news Duck.Really pleased you managed to get it all sorted and I hope your DS had a lovely birthday. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now