Talk

Advanced search

Is this costume acceptable?

(51 Posts)
SpikeWearingACoat Tue 14-Jul-15 20:34:22

Received an email today informing me that my DS's nursery are having a 'prince and princess' day on Friday. I have a dracula costume that he wore for hallowe'en - would I be completely unreasonable to send him as dracula under the premise he was the prince of darkness? If I do will I be known as 'that parent?' I'm leaning towards definitely doing it but I've mentioned it to a few other nursery parents who have recoiled at the suggestion. Opinions very welcome!

CrohnicallyAspie Tue 14-Jul-15 20:37:32

Is this the first you've heard of it? If so, I'd send him in with an apologetic 'it's all I had, I know it's meant to be princes and princesses but I didn't have a costume, no time to make/buy one and I didn't want him to be the only one not dressed up!' Maybe then they'll think about giving parents more notice of these things?

Wolfiefan Tue 14-Jul-15 20:38:47

Make a crown?
Cobble together a cape?

southeastastra Tue 14-Jul-15 20:39:13

i think that's pretty cool, go for it!#

what's he meant to go as, prince charles? grin

capulette Tue 14-Jul-15 20:40:34

Gosh that's pretty grim!

Just put a crown on him?

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 14-Jul-15 20:41:06

Prince of darkness. love it.

Do it do it grin

SpikeWearingACoat Tue 14-Jul-15 20:41:22

Email was sent yesterday but only checked inbox today. Dracula costume has a cape - suppose I could make a crown from cardboard, may have a Christmas cracker in the loft, I could use a crown from that? So prince of darkness not a good idea?

RiverTam Tue 14-Jul-15 20:42:29

Am I the only person wondering why on earth a nursery aged child would even have a Dracula costume???

Nolim Tue 14-Jul-15 20:43:05

Dont say it is a prince of darkness costume. It is a prince of somewhere in europe.

But yes do it.

capulette Tue 14-Jul-15 20:43:13

The problem is they would have to be pretty familiar with the story to know he was the prince of darkness and if they are familiar with it they would probably be a little taken aback for it to feature in nursery.

SpikeWearingACoat Tue 14-Jul-15 20:43:47

I <REALLY> want to send him as the prince of darkness!! grin I am aware that I have a rebellious nature so wanted to gauge just how unreasonable it would be!

chanie44 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:44:42

Dracula was a Count. That's practically a prince isn't it?

ENormaSnob Tue 14-Jul-15 20:44:45

Yanbu

southeastastra Tue 14-Jul-15 20:44:46

do they not watch sesame street anymore? what about the the count

MoonlightandMusic Tue 14-Jul-15 20:45:04

YANBU - go for it! You can slather him in suncream too to achieve the gothic effect. Maybe a silver circlet (otherwise known as a tightly rolled tinfoil headband) rather than a gold crown though - seems a bit more fitting.

SpikeWearingACoat Tue 14-Jul-15 20:45:06

Costume is from ELC

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 14-Jul-15 20:45:23

I'd laugh.

so wish it was Dds pre school.

I'm willing you to do it

Yellowaveo59 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:46:20

Dress him really cutely and say he has come as Prince George

stressedoutnan Tue 14-Jul-15 20:47:08

rivertam really?! Halloween. .. dracula. . pretty common costume

southeastastra Tue 14-Jul-15 20:47:29

or send him in this costume

TheHouseOnBellSt Tue 14-Jul-15 20:47:46

He will want to be like his friends OP. So even though you want him to be The Prince of Darkness, you should make him a cardboard crown and send him as a prince. Not a cracker one...it will be torn within minutes and he might be upset.

JennyLindsay Tue 14-Jul-15 20:48:28

Why wouldn't a nursery aged child have a Dracula costume -- it is a family favourite!

TyrannosaurusBex Tue 14-Jul-15 20:48:46

If 'Prince of Darkness' is, erm, too dark, how about 'Prince of Transylvania'? grin

howabout Tue 14-Jul-15 20:49:14

YANBU
Our nursery had pirates and princesses. DD would not go as a princess but made a fine pirate. No idea how I would have coped in your nursery - she would probably ended up going as a frog grin

SpikeWearingACoat Tue 14-Jul-15 20:49:40

DS has my deathly pale skin and widow's peak hair line - he'd definitely make an authentic looking vampire. Right I'm doing it. Luckily he starts reception in September so even if we are frowned upon it won't matter too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now