Talk

Advanced search

aibu to ask how you get rid of black wooden stains on worktops??

(10 Posts)
milkyman Tue 14-Jul-15 17:32:15

I've no idea what caused it but it's a small, round black stain. any ideas?

MaliaGrace Tue 14-Jul-15 17:36:50

Why would you be unreasonable?? confused I don't understand.

Anyway, posting a photo may help as I can't quite imagine what that sort of stain would look like.

CainInThePunting Tue 14-Jul-15 17:38:59

Do you mean black stains on wooden work tops?
As long as it's not a burn mark some kind of cream cleaner might work?

LazyLouLou Tue 14-Jul-15 17:41:06

If it is real wood then lemon juice puddled on it and left for a while is a good first step.

After that you are into the joys of getting a sander and redoing the whole thing. Which should happen regularly anyway. It might be that the top hasn't been regularly oiled that has allowed the stain to form in the first place.

But don't be scared of it. I have had wooden worktops for decades and after the first time re-oiling them is a doddle.

SophiePendragon Tue 14-Jul-15 17:43:10

It's really hard to get them off even by sanding pretty hard. I know this as I have tried.

That's the issue with wood. If you keep them well oiled it's fine but let it slip and you're into permanent mark territory.

thomashardon Tue 14-Jul-15 18:26:35

I have a couple on my wooden countertop - I think they are due to putting wet tins on it (and leaving them for a while). I haven't tried sanding and oiling yet, I just let them annoy me instead hmm

DoreenLethal Tue 14-Jul-15 18:31:26

What is unreasonable about it? Has anyone said that you are being unreasonable wanting to remove the stain?

Or are you actually asking for advice on how to get rid of the stain?

milkyman Tue 14-Jul-15 19:04:09

just advice as aibu has more responses. sorry sad

NoMontagues Tue 14-Jul-15 19:08:42

Yes but they probably won't all be the kind of response you want OP

There's a housekeeping topic over there > >

Or even chat would be ok.

bigbluebus Tue 14-Jul-15 19:08:58

I can confirm that sanding does not remove them. We have a wooden worktop in our utility room which has black marks where damp clothes have been left on it. DH attacked it with the sander the other day and it doesn't look any different sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now