Talk

Advanced search

Grown out of school shoes

(29 Posts)
susielovessocks Mon 13-Jul-15 23:14:22

My daughter is in year 1 of primary school. When she put her school shoes on this morning they were hurting her toes. Would I BU to send her to school in her trainers for the last 7 days of term? She has very awkward feet and buying shoes for her is a nightmare. (Clarks don't even make shoes in her size). I know that with the way she is growing at the moment a new pair of shoes will not fit her in September, so I would be paying over £40 for shoes that she will only wear for two weeks maximum.
We are on a limited budget so money is a big consideration, but I also understand why schools have uniform policies.
What would you do? Thanks.
First post here smile

DustyCropHopper Mon 13-Jul-15 23:16:14

YANBU. A friend of mine's son's shoes broke last week and he is wearing black trainers until the end of term. She just wrote a letter explaining.

DustyCropHopper Mon 13-Jul-15 23:18:16

Oh and just remembered the same happened with my ds1 in Reception, I put him in some casual shoes to complete the term.

Justwhy Mon 13-Jul-15 23:18:36

Perhaps black plimsolls would be better suited but no YANBU, as long as you sent a note explaining I can't see why it would be a problem.

WorraLiberty Mon 13-Jul-15 23:19:26

YANBU

I would just send her in with a note of have a quick word with the teacher if you can.

MummySparkle Mon 13-Jul-15 23:21:11

Another vote for black plimsolls here too. Let the teacher know, I'm sure they will be understanding as it's the last week of term

Wolfiefan Mon 13-Jul-15 23:27:43

I'm so sorry but with a week to go I wouldn't be running to the shoe shop! If the shoes don't fit are the trainers ok?
If my DD does this to me tomorrow am it'll have to be the bright pink crocs I bought for camping!

susielovessocks Mon 13-Jul-15 23:31:20

Thanks, I will send her in trainers with a note. I thought I might be unreasonable for assuming new ones will not fit in September but her feet are so awkward I can't compromise with a cheap pair to see her through.

ASettlerOfCatan Mon 13-Jul-15 23:34:46

I see plenty of kids in trainers this last week or two for this reason. Our school doesn't stress the last couple of weeks but they prefer you to send them in dark trainers/pumps if possible so it stands out less.

balletgirlmum Mon 13-Jul-15 23:39:12

My dd has awkward feet & we usually have to order shoes in from start right (Clarks don't fit).

I would send her in trainers or plimsolls with a note saying her shoes are hurting & you have a new pair on order (they won't know).

Cuppacoffeeinthebigtime Mon 13-Jul-15 23:49:27

YANBU. My child lost one of their shoes last week at an after school activity. No way are we buying more for 1 week. In fact, noticed about 5 children in trainers today during dds school play. It's the last week - it's parties and dvds. I wouldn't worry about it.

LiegeAndLief Mon 13-Jul-15 23:58:31

My dd has been in black plimsolls for the last week for this very reason. Only 4 more days to get through without them falling apart...

susielovessocks Mon 13-Jul-15 23:59:30

Good plan Balletgirl, I will say I have ordered some. I will be looking at the other children's feet on the School run tomorrow. DD was devastated when I said I wasn't going to buy new ones as she was worried about getting into trouble. Her teacher is leaving the school at the end of term so I doubt she will personally give a toss

FrancesNiadova Tue 14-Jul-15 00:00:00

YADNBU, I'm sure that the HT wouldn't want you to be buying new shoes at this point in the year. Just send a note in to explain.

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Tue 14-Jul-15 00:02:16

I'm sure they won't mind.

DS1 had to wear his trainers to school a couple of months ago because he took his shoes off in the garden and left them out there overnight without us realising. It poured with rain, obviously, and they took two days to dry out.
His teacher just laughed and said she didn't care what was on his feet it was his brain she was interested in. Lovely woman.

JohnCusacksWife Tue 14-Jul-15 00:03:08

I wouldn't even bother with a note, and I certainly wouldn't lie about it. With a few days of term yet I can't believe the school will care at all.

zipzap Tue 14-Jul-15 00:15:17

I'd just say that the delivery time is such that they wouldn't arrive in time for the end of term as you're unable to buy off the shelf, especially at this time of the year when they've run their stocks of school shoes right down, ready for all the new stock to hit the shelves as soon as the holidays start.

CarlaJones Tue 14-Jul-15 00:21:12

I think this is par for the course at this stage of the year. I often see kids in trainers in the last few weeks. I'd be amazed if any primary school insisted on new shoes being bought and it would definitely be worthy of a daily mail sad face story. grin

MiaowTheCat Tue 14-Jul-15 07:25:19

When I used to teach I wouldn't have been bothered by this at all - indeed I've told parents who've sent their kids in in trainers and told me they were going shoe shopping that evening not to bother this late on in the year.

MidniteScribbler Tue 14-Jul-15 07:33:17

I'm the same as Miaow the Cat. I've told parents not to bother when they've got that panicked 'oh damn now I need to buy new shoes with one week to go for the year' face. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay out for new uniform when they're about to go on a long break.

TiggieBoo Tue 14-Jul-15 07:38:10

Mine are both wearing casual shoes this week, I don't think anyone cares. I wouldn't write a note about it.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 14-Jul-15 07:38:35

DS will be wearing his trainers today as we discovered in the rain yesterday that his school shoes have a hole in the sole. Can't see it being an issue at all...

muminhants1 Tue 14-Jul-15 08:00:49

My 12 year old ds said that if this happens in his (secondary) school the kids have to wear a red notice around their necks! I think it's outrageous, if true. I assume it's so teachers know the school is aware and don't tell the child off, but it's somewhat humiliating, can't they just have something to keep in their pocket to show a teacher if necessary.

littlejohnnydory Tue 14-Jul-15 08:26:49

YANBU - depending how strict the school are, they may not even notice. My dd's school are fine with trainers, wellies, sandals, crocs - some children wear them all the time.

Lurkedforever1 Tue 14-Jul-15 09:03:42

Yanbu, it's very common in dds primary and with every other I know. Only thing a lot of them tend to do if they don't have dark trainers/ shoes is change into their pe kit black pumps for anything smart like parent assemblies etc so they blend in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now