Talk

Advanced search

Minute amounts of cream in cream teas

(13 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Mon 13-Jul-15 21:48:21

I am a bit of a cream tea conessuier. And it is now my experience that the amounts of cream for these is definitely shrinking. I had one today, with the equivalent of about 2 level tsps cream. I've given up on M and S as the amount they use these days is minuscule.

I'm sure a cream scone should have lots of cream shouldn't it?

Littlef00t Mon 13-Jul-15 21:50:32

I have in the past requested a second mini pot of cream for my scone. Hate a dry scone.

OhItsYouAgain Mon 13-Jul-15 21:50:46

Yes it should, lots of lovely thick clotted cream.

The worst one I had was served with squirty cream from a can!!!!angry

SchwarzwalderKirschtorte Mon 13-Jul-15 21:52:04

We've had a cream tea the last few days as the pot of clotted cream was bigger than I realised... oops. smile

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 13-Jul-15 21:53:54

Yanbu! Meanness in a cream tea is not to be tolerated.

Orangeanddemons Mon 13-Jul-15 21:54:09

Oh, I've had those abominations. But how much cream is the correct amount. I has a summer pudding a couple of days ago, served with cream. It as actually 1 teaspoon cream and the pudding was too dry to eat. This surely cannot be right?

PtolemysNeedle Mon 13-Jul-15 21:54:09

Yanbu. Your annoyance over the amount of cream a scone needs is very reasonable.

However, as a cream tea connesuier, you will know that as wonderful as M&S is, it's never going to hit the cream tea mark properly. There is no excuse for not enough cream though. Ever.

LaurieMarlow Mon 13-Jul-15 22:08:03

You are right. This is unacceptable.

Ideally, the volume of cream should be more or less equivalent to the volume of scone iykwim. That's my rule of thumb.

Orangeanddemons Mon 13-Jul-15 22:09:31

Yes, mine too.

LovelyFriend Mon 13-Jul-15 22:11:46

There must be at least sufficient cream, if not surplus cream. Vital.

I made a lovely cream tea last weekend. Delicious b

LovelyFriend Mon 13-Jul-15 22:12:29

Laurie you are so right!

LondonLady29 Mon 13-Jul-15 22:16:25

YANBU

Slightly off topic but don't you also find that restaurants are very mean with gravy? I've had too many dry Sunday roasts to count.

WorktoLive Mon 13-Jul-15 22:33:22

Ideally, the volume of cream should be more or less equivalent to the volume of scone iykwim. That's my rule of thumb.

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

I posted my thoughts on the matter on another recent thread on the subject. I may have got a bit ranty.

The short version was that anyone caught serving an inadequate cream tea* should be retrained or banned for life from running a food establishment.

*stale scones, squirty cream, jam in cheap plastic mini cartons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now