Talk

Advanced search

What am I missing?

(82 Posts)
OrangeRhinoInTraining Mon 13-Jul-15 20:59:54

Staying with relatives this week and they have a plastic washing up bowl in the sink - I don't get it! Crumbs etc seem to get stuck in a slimy sludge under it and you have less space for dishes! Am I missing something obvious?!

Writerwannabe83 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:01:28

I have a plastic washing up bowl in our sink and experience both problems you mention.

I actually have no idea why we have one confused

Dancingqueen17 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:01:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stealthpolarbear Mon 13-Jul-15 21:01:59

If they don't have another sink they'll have nowhere to pour dregs of drinks once they've started washing up
But I have to admit I don't use one. Much prefer to use the sink then wipe it doen

Yarp Mon 13-Jul-15 21:02:18

They don't want to scratch or damage the sink?

The bowl is easier to clean than the sink?

You can pour liquids down the sink while there is washing in the sink?

Don't currently have a bowl as we have a lovely big ikea butler double sink, but we do have a mat in the bottom of it to stop glasses getting broken/sink stains

Novia Mon 13-Jul-15 21:02:49

If anything is broken it's easier to contain it.

DadfromUncle Mon 13-Jul-15 21:03:54

I have one since I got a daft ceramic sink that is easily scratched and marked by stuff. I keep it and the sink spotless though.

Prior to this I thought they were the stupidest and most pointless idea ever.

I look forward to this turning into a catshit/toilet brush/penis beaker classic thread.

Yarp Mon 13-Jul-15 21:05:15

More eco-friendly - you can save the water and use it to water garden

tatumsfunkychicken Mon 13-Jul-15 21:05:17

Eugh, I can't stand washing up bowls.

Oh is this going to turn into another toilet brush thread?!? <rubs hands in anticipation...>

plinkin Mon 13-Jul-15 21:08:01

Is it not the norm to have a washing up bowl then? We always had one (or even two... Never know when you may need a spare wink) at home when I was growing up and I have one in my home too. Didn't realise it wasn't usual. It is spotless as is the sink too but I hate washing up in the sink.

Angria Mon 13-Jul-15 21:08:35

Feck, another social faux pas, I'll get me coat.

Pipbin Mon 13-Jul-15 21:09:00

As well as the reasons above one other reason is that it means you can take the bowl out for washing paint brushes or other such things, keeping the bowl just for crockery etc.

CaramellaDeVille Mon 13-Jul-15 21:09:38

I have one purely for the reason given above. You can pour liquids down the drain while washing up. I keep it, and my sink, clean.

HolidayForever Mon 13-Jul-15 21:13:48

We use a plastic washing up bowl. Our sink is stainless steel and scratches easily. I also find a bowl is just easier to wash up in because you can dispose of stuff still in mugs into the sink without contaminating the washing up water, and rinse the bubbles off mugs and things before putting them on the draining board. (Yes, I rinse bubbles off. I don't know if many people do that?)
After washing up, I rinse out bowl and sink thoroughly with hot water, so no sludgy stuff remains, and leave the bowl to dry on its side until next time.

OrangeRhinoInTraining Mon 13-Jul-15 21:14:45

I've no idea Plinkin! For all I know, I'm the odd one out and everyone else is living in a non-scratched sink idyll with flourishing plants thanks to all the water they get...smile

NorksAreMessy Mon 13-Jul-15 21:16:35

Our washing up bowl is kept under the sink and used only to contain vomit.
HTH

DadfromUncle Mon 13-Jul-15 21:17:21

Maybe we could do a venn diagram of the intersection between washing up bowls, toilet brushes, shitting cats and bog brushes in individual households.

OrangeRhinoInTraining Mon 13-Jul-15 21:17:59

Oh, I have a vomit bowl! But the thought of using it for anything else in addition makes me want to well, vomit!

Yarp Mon 13-Jul-15 21:18:15

No-one - cat, dog, or child shits in my sink.

wafflyversatile Mon 13-Jul-15 21:21:29

I so happen to have a tiny sink next to mine which is useful for dregs but even if I didn't I'd just put them in the sink, dregs and all because, well it's already dishwater and the dishes get rinsed before draining. Bowls are always a bit manky.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 13-Jul-15 21:22:00

I use a plastic bowl. Saves things getting smashed in the metal sink. Useful for containing stuff when you need to drain something in the sink.

Homebird8 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:25:38

If this is an indicator that the tide is turning on washing up bowls then I am going out to stockpile them before they aren't available any more.

howabout Mon 13-Jul-15 21:29:26

Unless you have a huge sink I find puttering around in a bowl in the sink messy and annoying and I hate washing up anyway. We do have a small side sink for emptying stuff down but I hardly ever use it as I always organise meticulously before starting so there is no emptying out after the water is in the sink. Don't think it saves water to have a bowl as surely you have to use the water to rinse out the sink and drain and should therefore not empty it on the plants. Seems just like the toilet brush and shower mat threads I am an obsessive HW. DH reckons he is being slowly Fairy poisoned though as I don't bubble rinse, but he mostly insists on the dishwasher to avoid this blush
We use our washing up bowl for soaking feet.

wigglesrock Mon 13-Jul-15 21:29:48

I have one, always have done. I can use the sink and do the washing up at the same time, saves water, easier to clean, I think it keeps the water warmer and for years I didn't have a plug for the kitchen sink smile

irie Mon 13-Jul-15 21:30:52

I have a bowl but don't know why, I think because I don't have a plug for the sink? Plus I have a little second sink where I rinse everything/pour dregs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now