Talk

Advanced search

Working for friend.

(7 Posts)
Madeyemoodysmum Mon 13-Jul-15 17:20:21

My friend wants me to do some admin work for her. She is snowed under and I'm very organised and good at getting systems in place.
I have done done work for her in the past for free as a help and catch up at same time basis but now she has offered to pay me.

I'm assuming this is short term may possibly long term but less hours needed. I own my own business so can only do one morning a week anyway.
Would you find this weird? My mums says go for it. My husband has some reservations.

She is a very laid back person so I can't say I feel it would affect our friendship but I do feel a little weird taking money but as this is a lot of time I can't really do it for free.

She knows I was thinking of taking on some cleaning work to ride me over so I guess to her she is killing two birds with one stone.

TheHouseOnBellSt Mon 13-Jul-15 17:32:42

I wouldn't personally. It's the road to trouble. I've had friends ask me to "do a little job." in the past but I feel uncomfortable working for a mate. If it goes wrong then so does your friendship.

Tryharder Mon 13-Jul-15 17:38:18

If you are able to agree a set amount of hours for a set pay and neither of you is the sort to take the piss, then I would!

Annabel7 Mon 13-Jul-15 17:57:57

I would go for it. It's just a morning a week and if it's not working out just say you need to devote more time to your business. I've worked with friends before and it's fine so long as you both agree not to take work stuff too personally...

ollieplimsoles Mon 13-Jul-15 18:18:01

Sit down and agree on some terms to make sure your friendship stays in tact should things turn sour. Working for friends and family, some little things usually go wrong as its an awkward dynamic.

Make sure you mention if things get too much that you will be leaving to focus on your own business

Purplepoodle Mon 13-Jul-15 18:56:45

Sit down and make clear guidelines in writing.
Hours u will work
How much u will be paid, when will u be paid and by what method ect

Think.of every situation that could come up and chat about it. Also be honest, agree to give it a a couple of weeks then if either feels.its not working your allowed to.say and walk away

AuntyBatshit Mon 13-Jul-15 19:14:48

I'm in this position and it works for us. We're work colleagues for a set period and when the workday is done we close the door. We've managed to keep it going through a personal argument as well. It's doable as long as you agree on terms from the outset and both of you know where you stand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now