Talk

Advanced search

Why was it bad for the Beach Body advert?

(7 Posts)
DragonWithAGirlTattoo Mon 13-Jul-15 16:34:45

Why was it bad for the Beach Body advert, but ok for there to be a thread about being beach body ready?

Yes this is a TAAT, but every time i see the other thread, it makes me seriously wonder why people were so up in arms about 'that advert' and not be upset about this thread? Beachbody THREAD 2 (Insanity, T25, etc)

Ok there was a picture of a lady in a bikini,... but the message was taken to mean "you cant go on the beach unless you look like this" and people were upset about it, so where are the pitchforks for this thread?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/2376323-Beachbody-THREAD-2-Insanity-T25-etc

I know this might look as if i am being goady, and honestly I am not trying to be

IceBeing Mon 13-Jul-15 16:38:38

I think it is about who you reach. IF a bunch of beach bods want to get together in semi private and talk about coconut oil or whatever than you can join in or not.

IF someone sticks up an unrealistic photoshopped advert implying everyone is deficient if they aren't thinking about this shit all the time...where young girls can see it then it is a whole other thing.

Spartans Mon 13-Jul-15 16:47:00

I didn't agree with the beach body fallout any way.

However, you don't have to click on the thread or get involved. You couldn't avoid the adverts.

Spartans Mon 13-Jul-15 16:48:06

Also what each interpretation of what their beach body looks like, is different. They are not all aspiring to look one particular way.

And the model wasnt photoshopped in the advert

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Mon 13-Jul-15 16:51:11

the only time I saw the advert was when the outrage happened, i would have had no idea about it otherwise

i personally didnt have a problem with it when i saw it, and just thought its like all the other crappy adverts - you know, like Cheryl and l'oreal "look how wonderful my hair looks when i use l'oreal" (yes and am styled and photoshopped to shit)

but people seemed to get upset as 'the advert implied you had to have a body like that to go on the beach" - hence being upset about "beach body"

the other thread is not about coconut oil as far as i read - more about insane workouts etc

(every time i see the thread linked it makes me feel inadequate!! - nah not really)

BlanketOfStars Mon 13-Jul-15 16:51:50

Perhaps the people who started and are on that thread aren't the same people who were anti that advert and the people who were anti the advert haven't seen the thread or just have no issue with it.
The thread title isn't telling people exactly what they think "beach ready" is so leaves it to the individual to decide what "beach ready" means for them. Whereas the advert is kinda saying "if you don't look pretty much like this you're not beach ready"

VirginiaWoofs Mon 13-Jul-15 17:04:17

Beachbody is the name of the company behind Insanity, etc.

I see your point though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now