Talk

Advanced search

Should I have reported this driver?

(19 Posts)
bobthetomato Mon 13-Jul-15 08:03:26

Making my way round a round-about, I noticed that a car on my right had just had a collision with a bicycle. It's important to note that I didn't witness the actual accident. The bicycle man seemed OK, but was obviously very cross.

As I was going past, the car suddenly pulled away in front of me and drove off. I had to make an emergency stop to avoid hitting it on the passenger side as it entered my lane.

I stopped for a minute to ask the bicycle man whether he was fine, and he was, so I drove on.

Further ahead, I saw the other car and decided to follow it and get its registration number. Conveniently, it was going the same way as me, so I stayed behind it. Eventually, I caught up with it parked over two miles away from the accident, but close to where I live.

I spoke to the driver, who admitted that she had driven badly and doesn't normally drive like that, but had to get away quickly because the bicycle man was getting aggressive and was hitting her car.

I hadn't seen the actual accident and didn't know whether or not the bicycle man had been threatening, so I decided to let it go since she was obviously shaken about the incident. I'm not sure whether I should have reported her or not because although she did leave the scene, the bicycle rider seemed uninjured, and I didn't see whether his bicycle had been damaged.

Should I have reported her anyway?

Collaborate Mon 13-Jul-15 08:06:15

Yes. Please report it now to the police.

SageYourResoluteOracle Mon 13-Jul-15 08:07:08

Regardless of what happened with the chap on the bike, the driver caused you to make an emergency stop as she pulled away- very careless driving that could've led to a further collision. I think you should report this, giving in the reg number and also that it was in the context of her already having had an accident.

PurpleWithRed Mon 13-Jul-15 08:12:22

"You are legally required to stop after a road traffic accident, even if no other vehicle was involved, if:
anyone (other than you) is injured
another vehicle or any other property is damaged
an animal on the road or in another car is injured (but not an animal in your own vehicle)
items such as a street lamp, bollard, road sign or any other normal street ‘furniture’ are damaged"

None of these were damaged so there was no legal requirement for you to report anyone to anything. I doubt the police will follow up.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 13-Jul-15 08:32:48

how do you know his bike wasn't damaged?

I'd report it OP in case he needs to replace his bike

BusyBeingFabulous Mon 13-Jul-15 08:37:04

I'd report it as well. If the cyclist was aggressive and damaged her car he should answer for his actions in the same way as she should.

wibbleywee Mon 13-Jul-15 08:37:24

yes, how do you know he wasnt injured, he could collapse at work later for all you know, she hit someone and the police should be informed, would you be questioning this if she had run over a pedestrian??

HeyDuggee Mon 13-Jul-15 08:38:25

I don't think you need to report because the cyclist had time to note her registration too - and he would have asked you about it if he didn't.

Silvercatowner Mon 13-Jul-15 08:50:53

I would've made myself available to the bike rider as a witness, should one be needed. If a cyclist has been knocked off their bike by a car then I do think it needs reporting - surely the cyclist would have had scratches and bruises at least?? If he was in shock (and he may well have been) then these probably weren't evident.

bobthetomato Mon 13-Jul-15 09:27:27

Thanks for the responses.

The thing is, I didn't see the first collision at all, so couldn't really be a witness. All I saw was how she pulled in front of me. Since nothing actually happened, I didn't think I should report it, alarming as it was.

Anyway, I didn't even note her number in the end after speaking with her, since she seemed quite shaken, although defensive.

It's too late for me to do anything now, but hopefully she'll call the police herself since she knows that people saw her.

TiggieBoo Mon 13-Jul-15 09:36:14

I don't think it's up to you to report anything, you haven't witnessed the collision, you don't know whose fault it is, the biker wasn't injured so he can call the police himself. She hasn't even fled the scene of the accident, she obviously stopped first and engaged into a conversation with the biker. Either she or him can call the police.

TheChandler Mon 13-Jul-15 09:39:26

I'd be suspicious she was fleeing the scene of an accident, and report her for that. She sounded a bit out of control, and your details might be useful relating to her conduct after the accident she did cause. She sounds as if she shouldn't be in charge of a car at all, and that the police should at least breathalyse her and speak to her. I'd question whether her suggestion of violence from the cyclist was an excuse to cover up her guilt.

MrsTaraPlumbing Mon 13-Jul-15 09:54:46

I would report it.
It is then up to others in authority what happens.
It may be nothing.
It may have been a one off incident with no damage and so nothing will happen to the driver.

But it may be that the woman was driving with no licence and no insurance or has been involved in a load of similar incidents, perhaps others more serious.
You don't know the full story so best to report it so it is not on your conscience if she is a genuine menace on the roads.

TinyManticore Mon 13-Jul-15 09:59:14

Ring 101 and get advice.

bobthetomato Mon 13-Jul-15 10:41:57

OK, I've just called 101.

They said that the people involved ought to have informed the police, and they'll check to see whether anyone else reports it.

I was clear that I witnessed neither the collision nor the alleged threatening behaviour, and left my details in case they need to get back to me.

Thanks for all the viewpoints. I think it's best to let the police decide whether it's worth following up or not.

ShirleySmears Mon 13-Jul-15 10:50:13

She did stop though and he was fine.

If he was getting aggressive, was she supposed to stay and let him hit her car and (maybe) her?

WanderWomble Mon 13-Jul-15 10:52:30

No, you shouldn't. You didn't see the initial accident and if people reported every bit of crappy driving to the police, nothing would get done.

blondegirl73 Mon 13-Jul-15 11:03:16

I once witnessed a road rage incident at a roundabout. Lots of shouting, then one driver went and got a golf club out of his car and started bashing the bonnet of the other car. The other driver was stuck in traffic and just sat there while the man was attacking the car and then as soon as they could, they drove off - obviously in a hurry! I took a photo, and rang the police when I got to work to report it, and they could NOT have cared less. They even said a crime is only a crime if the victim reports it, which is clearly not true - because murder's a crime, right?

So no, I wouldn't say you should report it - especially as you didn't see it happen.

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Mon 13-Jul-15 11:06:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now