To lop my hair off myself?

(40 Posts)
WanderWomble Mon 13-Jul-15 02:02:55

I have very long (it's hip length) thick hair. I'm getting really sick of it- would it be unreasonable for me to lop it off? Will it look terrible? (I bloody hate going to the hairdresser and last time I went she refused to cut it because 'it would be such a shame!')

steff13 Mon 13-Jul-15 02:12:38

I wouldn't try it. It's crazy the stylist refused to cut it - isn't that her job?! I'd find someone else, or at least a friend you can trust. If you want it cut straight across the bottom, a friend should be able to do that. When your hair gets that long, there isn't a lot you an do with it as far as styling; I'd definitely cut it or have it cut.

FabulousFudge Mon 13-Jul-15 02:18:13

You could donate it to The Little Princess trust if it's more than 7 inches you'd like off. They make it into wigs for children who've lost their hair due to illness.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 13-Jul-15 02:21:18

Do you want a style or just shorter hair? If the latter, get a friend to do it
(using sharp scissors). If the former, get a hairdresser to do it the first time, then you can do it at home later on (I cut my own)

WanderWomble Mon 13-Jul-15 02:29:19

Yep, I'd donate it. smile It's way over seven inches!

I just want it to be shorter- straight across the bottom is fine so long as I can put it in a pony tail.

Flowerpower41 Mon 13-Jul-15 04:49:48

If it is a big step I wouldn't do it yourself. I would book to see a very professional stylist.

Having said that I do regularly cut my fringe myself and since my hair is past shoulder length it only needs a tiny trim every 4 months or so to keep it tidy at the length.

Good luck.

poocatcherchampion Mon 13-Jul-15 04:53:07

Do it!!

What's the worst that can happen? smile

perfectlybroken Mon 13-Jul-15 05:06:09

Try the mumsnet haircut, saves me a fortune!

TheHouseOnBellSt Mon 13-Jul-15 05:43:27

No please don't try the MN haircut! It works on some hair but on others the look is very Susie Quatro. I'm one of the unlucky ones!

It's fine to cut it yourself in the circumstances you describe.

spottybottycream Mon 13-Jul-15 05:58:34

Please don't cut your hair yourself! It will end up lopsided straight across the bottom is the most difficult type of cut as there is 0 room for mistakes. You will end up taking more and more off untill you have far less left than you would like!

I tried to do this for my friend as teenagers to cut out what was left of her old dye in her hip length hair (about half) she ended up with almost a bob and a trip to the hairdressers anyway!

lollilou Mon 13-Jul-15 08:47:49

I would work out the length you want it put it into a low ponytail and cut straight across just above the band. Then go to the hairdressers and they will be able to shape it for you.

RachelRagged Mon 13-Jul-15 08:52:36

When I was little (10) I had thick waist length hair OP .. Had it cut into a feather cut as they were called . Biggest mistake of my life .. Ever since I have never had a short cut but never did I grow it so long again.

Why not lob a bit off ? Say to just below shoulder blades and see how you like it ? Can always cut more off , ,cannot add hair already gone . Good Luck .

RachelRagged Mon 13-Jul-15 08:53:27

And I agree with whomever said go to hairdressers , with that kind of length.

WorraLiberty Mon 13-Jul-15 08:58:27

No, don't cut it yourself.

Did your hairdresser really refuse to cut it, or did she just talk you out of it?

FishWithABicycle Mon 13-Jul-15 09:04:36

If you will always wear it up/in a pony tail then it's fine to do it yourself from a style point of view. I always wear mine up and I take about 5 inches off with the kitchen scissors when it gets too long. I flip all my hair forward over my forehead, bring it to a tight bunch and cut it in a single sweep which avoids the ragged look. BUT if you're donating it consult the charity first - it may be that a diy job results in an offcut that can't be used as intended.

However, I bet the hairdresser who refused to do it before will gladly undertake the job when you are donating it for a good cause.

Callaird Mon 13-Jul-15 09:08:00

Just do it! The mumsnet haircut works great, just don't put your fringe in a top ponytail if you don't have a fringe!

I developed a phobia of hairdressers 2 years ago, I cut my own hair, I put it in a ponytail at the base of my neck and cut the ponytail off. I now have a graduated bob, long at the front, short at the back. No one believes I do it myself and if I don't like it, I can grow it out!

Do look on YouTube for tips and advice.

(my boss had her cut in Saturday, she paid £145 for it and it is so uneven!)

TheHouseOnBellSt Mon 13-Jul-15 09:34:51

I think you need to be VERY careful with the MN haircut. It does not work on everyone and I suspect that's due to thickness etc. Mine is very thick and I DID look like Suzie Quatro.

WanderWomble Mon 13-Jul-15 10:48:07

Yes, she refused. Something about not being comfortable cutting so much in one go in case I got upset and complained. She did offer to cut it in stages but that's no good because I want to donate it.

I should really just buck up and go to another hairdressers.

Does anyone use Supercuts? There's one right next to where I work.

Notgrumpyjustquiet Mon 13-Jul-15 10:59:39

OMG I've just looked up the MN haircut (I'm fairly new here, didn't realise it was a thing) and it is TERRIFYING!!! I am definitely never EVER going to just put my hair in a ponytail and then chop loads of it off. Why would anybody even do that???

noeffingidea Mon 13-Jul-15 11:16:31

The mumsnet haircut works best if you have wavy textured hair. There are other techniques on youtube that might work better for you. If you don't like it it might take a long time to grow those layers out.
Personally I would get a hairdresser to cut it. When you've had your hair very long for a long time you're probably not really sure what it's going to look like when it's shorter. That happened to me, I thought my hair was quite straight, it's turned out to be slightly curly (which I love).
I would recommend you ask the hairdresser just to cut the required length off first, then you can get used to that and think about if you want a different style later on.

Callaird Mon 13-Jul-15 11:17:28

I have quite thick straight hair and people often admire my MN haircut!!

sweetgrape Mon 13-Jul-15 11:25:33

What is the mumsnet hair cut please?

Pippa12 Mon 13-Jul-15 11:30:58

Please don't cut your own hair, it's a really bad idea. If it's the ££ go to a local college and let the girls there do it. What ever you do, don't cut it yourself!

Goshthatsspicy Mon 13-Jul-15 11:41:39

Am l the only one who sees nothing wrong with Suzie's cut?
I used to cut mine, it was very long. I have wavy textured hair - guess that's why it worked.
Go to another hairdresser. smile

FirstWeTakeManhattan Mon 13-Jul-15 11:46:38

I cut my own hair and go for a 'proper' cut about once a year to tidy up what I've done!

My hair is very thick, very, very curly and thus hides a multitude of shit haircutting by me sins.

I'd go to to a hairdresser though OP. My DD1 has long straight hair and it's so tricky to get a straight line. The hairdresser does a much better job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now