Talk

Advanced search

To be enraged with Harriet Harman for saying Labour will support the welfare cuts...

(199 Posts)
Loletta Sun 12-Jul-15 22:35:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loletta Sun 12-Jul-15 22:41:11

MarchLikeAnAnt Sun 12-Jul-15 22:42:06

YANBU

DadfromUncle Sun 12-Jul-15 22:44:07

YANBU (to be enraged) Labour are Tories light at the moment.

I can see they are very scared though - Tories more popular that they thought, Gideon stealing their policies (min wage, non-doms, dividend taxes), they are in trouble.

I couldn't vote Labour this time as they aren't lefty enough for me any more, but I am clearly way out of step - as a Country we seem to be heading further right all the time.

PtolemysNeedle Sun 12-Jul-15 22:46:26

YABU. It makes sense for the party that lost so spectacularly to oppose the tax credit threshold, but to support the two child policy. The two child thing is a popular opinion, and as it will only apply to children who aren't even a twinkle in an eye yet, there's not much that HH could say to oppose it and expect to be taken seriously.

YouTheCat Sun 12-Jul-15 22:46:28

Dd met Jeremy Corbyn today. She was very impressed with him.

Harriet Harman should have ducked out years ago. She hasn't a clue.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 12-Jul-15 22:46:41

YANBU. Let's hope we get a decent opposition leader soon.

JohnCusacksWife Sun 12-Jul-15 22:48:44

But she didn't say that, did she? She said they'd support the limiting of future child tax credit claims to 2 children.

EducationalWelfareMakeMeCry Sun 12-Jul-15 22:50:14

She will be gone in a few months.

DadfromUncle Sun 12-Jul-15 22:51:37

Slightly O/T but I have always thought that any gov that tried to limit benefits on basis of size of families would wind up in European Court of something accused of racial/religious discrimination. Not arguing the merits BTW - I'd just assumed that was why it had never been done before.

Loletta Sun 12-Jul-15 22:51:45

Samcro Sun 12-Jul-15 22:53:27

yanbu

Loletta Sun 12-Jul-15 22:53:41

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 12-Jul-15 22:53:47

The problem is Labour and the Tories have been triangulating for years. And if two parties keep triangulating then obviously they will end up with identical policies...

Taz1212 Sun 12-Jul-15 22:55:58

YANBU and I say that as a Tory voter. I'm finding politics very through the looking glass right now...

Loletta Sun 12-Jul-15 22:56:07

DadfromUncle Sun 12-Jul-15 22:58:28

Labour aren't going to get anywhere if they carry on being "conservatives light". It depends what you mean by "get anywhere" I liked them (and voted for them) when they were in favour of unilateral nuclear disarmament and leaving (what was then) The Common Market, but the rest of the Country preferred Thatcher.

There's not much point having super policies and never being in power to carry them out.

Birdsgottafly Sun 12-Jul-15 23:02:54

Not opposing them, is not the same as supporting them.

They are opposing the reduction in tax credits, but felt that it was too early for a blanket opposition.

This is two years away, but some of the changes will happen more quickly and the full truth is yet to emerge.

I hope it is part of a bigger "play clever" plan, but lots of people wanted the changes and honestly don't care about child poverty/the disabled.

I've used Social Policy facts to show that Thatchers policies didn't save the UK money, they just caused widespread poverty, to be told that they don't care, as long as "the right people suffered".

DadfromUncle Sun 12-Jul-15 23:10:09

I often cite an Article in that well-known leftie journal Accountancy Age that correctly asserts that taxation, both in real money and as a share of GDP actually rose during the Thatcher administration - to be shouted down by ignorant people saying the Tories always cut taxes.....go figure.

MollyAir Sun 12-Jul-15 23:23:29

I would've thought anyone who opposes cuts has got to vote for Jeremy Corbyn to be leader. It's obvious.

RedandYellow24 Sun 12-Jul-15 23:27:55

I think they are scared of being seem to be rubbish with money so must agree with all cuts.

It is wrong about 2kuds because it will apply to children that are born already. Just those whom you don't claim for. So if you have three kids and a good job then lose it or get sick after April 2017 you will only be given support for two.

It's one think saying from April ant kids born will get zero but if you have been working hard blah blah then find yourself in difficult position tough.

MollyAir Sun 12-Jul-15 23:31:51

It seems to be an incredible lack of political commitment to say: people won't vote Labour, so we've got to be Tory-lite. And a a very odd analysis of what just happened in the General Election.

TheHumourlessHarpy Sun 12-Jul-15 23:35:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Dowser Sun 12-Jul-15 23:36:22

I remember ed Miliband saying years ago that he would not undo Tory cuts.

No point voting for him then I thought.

Obviously others thought the same way.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sun 12-Jul-15 23:36:30

YABU. It makes sense for the party that lost so spectacularly to oppose the tax credit threshold, but to support the two child policy. The two child thing is a popular opinion, and as it will only apply to children who aren't even a twinkle in an eye yet, there's not much that HH could say to oppose it and expect to be taken seriously

I'm interested in knowing what happens if a previously none claiming parent with more than 2 currently existing children loses their job in 2017 and has to claim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now