Talk

Advanced search

To think I'm going to have to burn the buggy

(34 Posts)
mindthegap79 Sun 12-Jul-15 16:15:10

The cat has done a wee in it. It's a Silver Cross Wayfarer and you can't remove the covers to wash. I'm going to have to burn it aren't I? What the hell do I do?!

AlisonBlunderland Sun 12-Jul-15 16:17:10

Take it out into the garden and pressure wash it?

londonrach Sun 12-Jul-15 16:17:39

Hand the cat a bottle of bleach and a scrubbing brush (sorry not helpful)

TheSilveryPussycat Sun 12-Jul-15 16:17:53

The cat-smell neutraliser I used to get from Pets R Us was, to my surprise, very effective on carpet. You could try something like that.

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Sun 12-Jul-15 16:21:58

Here you go - www.thriftyfun.com/Getting-Rid-of-Urine-Odors.html

Purpleball Sun 12-Jul-15 16:25:06

You'll need to use bio washing powder otherwise you won't get rid of the ammonia and the cat may do it again.
Things like disinfectant etc contain ammonia which attracts them back

CigarsofthePharoahs Sun 12-Jul-15 16:27:42

Simple Solution spray. Pets at home sell it. It has saved a variety of soft furnishings in my house.

YesIAmAMan Sun 12-Jul-15 16:28:13

There is a cat litter cleaning spray that you can also use on their food bowls, so I would imagine is relatively safe.

Personally I would scrub the thing down with either bleach or if that is potentially dangerous to little ones a kid safe antibacterial cleaner. And then rinse a couple of times with just water. Do it on a hot day so the pram can go outside to dry in the sun. Then smell it once dry and make your decision then. May save you a lot of money.

Then research cat jealousy regarding new kids as you may have an issue that requires a bit of cat psychology to head of an potential ongoing problem.

Fairylea Sun 12-Jul-15 16:29:02

There's a company called grubby buggy on Facebook (or something like that! ) they'll sort it for you smile

Zebda Sun 12-Jul-15 16:30:07

Yy to soap and hosing it down. Are you sure you can't take the material bits off though? Pushchairs get all kinds of body fluids on them (ok usually not cat wee but just as bad stuff) you have to be able to wash them...

Try looking on the Silver cross site for care instructions

Another idea is pushchair service companies - these exist, can you book it in for a valet?

InconsiderateWife Sun 12-Jul-15 16:30:31

Are you sure? Review website says this:
Silver Cross Wayfarer Seat

The Seat on the Wayfarer has plenty of space. It measures 50cm at the back up to the hood and is 30cm wide at its widest point. The fabrics are wrapped around a steel frame and can be removed easily. There are no washing instructions in the instruction manual, but I presume a low temperature wash and hanging on the line to dry would be fine!

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 12-Jul-15 16:31:42

ammonia (in urine) and bleach (chlorine) not a good idea!!!!

Quickchangeup Sun 12-Jul-15 16:32:49

Can you really not remove the covers for washing? Only other option then is scrub it in the bath. But beware the cat may well make a habit of it unless you get rid of all traces.

mindthegap79 Sun 12-Jul-15 16:39:53

Thanks for all the replies! To be honest I was so horrified that I haven't fully investigated the cover removal. Dh reckons there's a big piece of cardboard giving it its shape, so we assumed it can't go in the machine, but I shall investigate further when I feel brave enough. It's in the garden at the moment.

It's very odd because the cats (x2) have been lovely with dd (17 months). I think one of them may have got shut in by the builders when we were at work on Fri. Inadvertently of course, but that could account for it.

Thank god we've got a far more practical little stroller which we use most of the time!

Cheap white vinegar will kill the smell. And the Eau de Chippy fragrance does fade fairly fast.

Mamabear14 Sun 12-Jul-15 16:44:29

Simple solution is amazing. I use the big bottle of it rather than the spray, pour on, scrub in and leave. It saved my brand new sofa when the un-neutered dog took a shine to it

Howmanywotwots Sun 12-Jul-15 16:48:50

Sorry I'm going against all the pp's here! I've tried pet deodorisers, washing machine, vinegar etc and nothing works. The cat still knows it's wee'd there, the sme doesn't go and it always goes back and does it again

MsColouring Sun 12-Jul-15 16:50:59

bicarbonate of soda?

Purpleball Sun 12-Jul-15 16:52:06

Bio washing powder does work. I used it when my neutered male cat started spraying everywhere and it stopped him.
Look on pet forums for advice - that's where I got it from.
I also used a blacklight - ultraviolet torch (maplins £5) to find out where he'd been and treated each area. It stopped it all!

mindthegap79 Sun 12-Jul-15 17:01:24

A blacklight sounds like a great idea, although I worry about what we might find! I think it's the one gadget dh doesn't have. I shall dispatch him to maplins.

I've posted on my local Facebook baby pages asking for recommendations for cleaning companies.

We've been having building work for almost 9 months now so I do feel bad for the poor old cats. No excuse for such naughtiness though!

Wotsitsareafterme Sun 12-Jul-15 17:10:02

Dd2 puked in her car seat. I couldn't be arsed to take it apart so I put it in the garden and sprinkled washing powder all over it then pressure hosed it to within an inch of its life. I left it out there to dry in the thankfully hot sun. Ive never seen it so clean!! No sick smell either grin

mindthegap79 Sun 12-Jul-15 19:00:30

Haha Wotsit that made me chuckle. I think I'd have had to put it through a hot wash though! I do hate washing the car seat cover. It's such a mission to take on and off, and obviously you can't then drive until it dries. PIA.

Damn cats. I don't know which one did it but I suspect my boy cat. He looks shifty.

floatyflo Sun 12-Jul-15 19:08:40

I wouldn't advise drying it in the sun. Could cause fading. A wayfarer is quite a new expensive model right? I'd be so disappointed. Which colour have you got?
I suppose my main concern would be the bacteria then the smell. I def agree with a professional clean if you can.

mindthegap79 Sun 12-Jul-15 19:17:15

It's plain black with a tan hood. I'm so gutted. It was expensive, although as an aside I wouldn't actually recommend it. It's a bit of a tank and cannot cope with kerbs or even slight bumps in the tarmac. Dd is much comfier in her MacLaren, but we still sometimes use it as it's nice to have the parent facing option.

Anyway, I digress. Definitely going to get it professionally cleaned I think!

TheCowThatLaughs Sun 12-Jul-15 19:24:21

It'll be stiffened with a piece of plastic, rather than cardboard, won't it?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now