Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed of at people that make comments about sons hair

(254 Posts)
ghostspirit Sun 12-Jul-15 14:55:00

People are really starting to pee me of with comments about my sons hair. person 1 when you getting his hair cut he looks like a girl. says it often-ish

person 2 omg get his hair cut. why do you make him have long hair. your really making him into someone hes not.

Me: i have had is hair cut....her:but a bob why would you do that.

i just feel like shes rude when her son has his hair cut i say its nice which it is. i think my son suits long hair and he does not have to have it shaved like many boys do. and theses things are said whilst hes there.

MythicalKings Sun 12-Jul-15 14:58:10

Does your son like it long?

Egosumquisum Sun 12-Jul-15 14:58:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheWitTank Sun 12-Jul-15 14:59:29

Cut her off if she mentions it. "We are both happy with his hair, thanks". Then change the subject. Don't enter into discussions about it.

BabyGanoush Sun 12-Jul-15 15:00:18

It's a girly hairstyle. My DH has the same grin

People just aren't used to it. (Yet) If it's what your boy wants, then why should anyone comment?!

MrsKCastle Sun 12-Jul-15 15:01:32

How does your son feel? If he's happy with it, then it doesn't matter what others think.

I think it's utterly ridiculous the way society expects people (and especially children) to make decisions based on the type of genitals they have.

LashesandLipstick Sun 12-Jul-15 15:02:17

Comment on something about her appearance like "when are you going to stop wearing those hideous jumpers? They're so u flattering" and then when she gets offended explain why hearing others opinions when not asked for is annoying

WhatsTheT Sun 12-Jul-15 15:03:37

Boys with long hair are gorgeous. Fuck Em, he'll tell you he wants it off, and when he does, I shall shed a tear for you ;)

LadyNym Sun 12-Jul-15 15:03:48

YANBU. DS1 (three) has long hair and everyone automatically assumes he's a girl (even when he's wearing very stereotypically 'boy's' clothes). When they realise he's a boy I always get comments (including one woman at a play area who asked if I was only doing it to deliberately confuse people).

I don't understand why it's a big deal.

ChampagneBabyCakes Sun 12-Jul-15 15:03:50

It's his hair, on his head, if he likes it then he should keep it that way. I agree these people are being so rude. My DS keeps his quite long and I really feel strongly that he should decide what he looks like. I've got one friend who asks often when he's getting a 'boys' haircut and I tell her, when he wants one.

Teabagbeforemilk Sun 12-Jul-15 15:06:00

Ffs if he is happy with it. There is no problem. Wish people would keep their noses out.

Ds has short hair, when it gets too long he hates it. So we keep it short. I don't have any expectations of how what other people should do.

U2TheEdge Sun 12-Jul-15 15:09:33

My boys when they were younger grin

I was always told to cut it off. Pissed me off.

I cut it as soon as they asked for it to be cut themselves.

MythicalKings Sun 12-Jul-15 15:11:56

In the 1970s lots of boys had that style. People will get used to it, some boys suit longer hair.

Lurkedforever1 Sun 12-Jul-15 15:12:06

Yanbu if your son prefers it that way, and I agree with others that say ywnbu to be equally rude in reply to people commenting.
But yabu if it's not how your son prefers it, which of course could apply to any hair style

ghostspirit Sun 12-Jul-15 15:14:11

u2 they ares sweet it suits them to smile the only time he asks for a short cut is when comments like in my op has been said.

MrsDeVere Sun 12-Jul-15 15:14:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Clueing4looks Sun 12-Jul-15 15:18:35

How rude. My ds is 10 and his hair is longer than that. He has a really pretty face and after gets mistaken for a girl, but he doesn't care, he said it's how he likes it and it's not his problem if no one else does.

BleachEverything Sun 12-Jul-15 15:19:21

It's a girls hairstyle. If you want to be different, and that is different, you need to accept people will talk about it.

Blazing88 Sun 12-Jul-15 15:22:27

Ok. I actually love long hair on boys.

but a boy's style, not a girl's haircut!

I can kind of see their point a little!

MrsKCastle Sun 12-Jul-15 15:27:03

No, BleachEverything, it's a boy's hairstyle- it is the style that the OP's boy has.

And why the hell should she 'accept that people will talk about it'? Other people should accept that EVERYONE is 'different' and they can all wear the clothes/hairstyle/make-up/tattoos etc that they want, provided they're not offensive.

lozster Sun 12-Jul-15 15:27:50

u2 my two year old has hair like your youngest. It took ages to grow and now I just don't want a harsh cut that loses the curl. I'm asked a lot when I'm going to get his hair cut. I did intend to but I am thinking of leaving it until he asks especially as I saw a little boy at the junior school nearby and he looked just fine with long hair ...

CakeNinja Sun 12-Jul-15 15:28:36

Erm, well it looks like dd2s previous style of hair - a lank greasy bob.
Either get it cut into a more suitable style for his type of hair, or grow a thicker skin.
But then I really don't like long hair on boys full stop.

Lurkedforever1 Sun 12-Jul-15 15:30:20

Even if it was a girls hairstyle, accessorised by pink bows and a Disney princess dress then as long as he's actually chosen it why should it be any concern to anyone else?

ghostspirit Sun 12-Jul-15 15:30:59

blazing how do you get a boys long tyle? i have asked at hair dressers before they said they sort of rough it up a bit. just kind of drops into standard cut after an hour or so.

i dont mind comments but they are always negitive comments. and in front of my son...it sort of feels like they are being horrible to him but saying it to me

EeyoresTail Sun 12-Jul-15 15:31:00

There's a boy in my DD'S class whose hair is the same length as your son. I would never think to question his parents why his hair is that length. He is the only one in their class who doesn't have short hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now