Talk

Advanced search

My cats and cat poo in neighbours' gardens

(552 Posts)
Blahdeblah1 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:52:04

I moved into my house a year ago and have three cats. My neighbours are all quite elderly and have lived there for decades, they are all keen gardeners and very proud of their gardens.

Several months ago my next door neighbour started complaining to me about my cats pooing on his drive, so every time I go round and clear it up. Although to be honest I'm not convinced that the poo is from my cats.

Anyway, I'm now having complaints about cat poo from people who live way down the street, that my cats are pooing in their garden, although they admitted they hadn't actually seen the cat that did it. I live on a large suburban housing estate where there are loads of cats.

AIBU for thinking that cats are cats and I shouldn't be expected to be picking up any cat poo really, and to tell my neighbours to deal with it themselves and stop complaining to me? I can't control where my cats poo, they are not dogs.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Sun 12-Jul-15 08:53:20

Just tell them you will have a word with your cats about it.

Icantbelieveitsnotbutter Sun 12-Jul-15 08:54:40

You chose to have your cat. Your neighbours didn't.

maddening Sun 12-Jul-15 08:54:49

you can litter train cats.

WayneRooneysHair Sun 12-Jul-15 08:56:02

They're your cats so they are your responsibility.

Perfectlypurple Sun 12-Jul-15 08:56:17

Yabu for your last paragraph. You choice to have a cat impacts on others. Why should someone else have to clean up your pets shit? I get sick of my garden stinking of cat shit.

cansu Sun 12-Jul-15 08:58:59

Utterly ridiculous. Tell them there are many cats and you really cannot pick up the whole street's cat poo. Cats roam and that's an end to it.

Teabagbeforemilk Sun 12-Jul-15 08:59:14

I can't work out how they know its you cat.

However, sorry but this pisses me off. We don't have cats and yet every time my kids wnat to play out they have to wait for me to go inspect the garden for other people's cats shits. They shit where we grow food too. Very pleasant.

Yes cats are animals, you can't tell them where to shit. But I don't want to pick up cat shit. That's why I don't have one. I can not work out for the life of me that dog owners (I don't have a dog either) are so frowned upon for not picking up dog shit, but cat owners hold no repsonsibilty.

Our neighbours are quite good and will pop round if they see their cat in the garden and we don't. After we told them. But they won't if they see another cat doing it....because it's not their cat. Which is fair enough. But it's not mine either

MaryBerrysEyelashes Sun 12-Jul-15 08:59:34

Yup. Tell the cats. Stop crapping.

WhattodowithMum Sun 12-Jul-15 08:59:56

The only way to know it's not your cat's poo, is to litter train them. If they are litter trained, then they won't be defecating on anyone else's property, and there won't be any question about it.

If they are not litter trained, then they are poo-ing somewhere, and you are not taking responsibility.

Litter train them.

FarFromAnyRoad Sun 12-Jul-15 09:02:33

I choose to have dogs. They shit. I pick it up - every single time. You choose to have cats. They shit - but that's everyone else's problem. Not yours.
How does that work then?

Do they use their litter trays too? I try and keep a patch of freshly dug soil in our garden at all times as well as having trays indoors and they do use both, my neighbours do get upset about cat poo so I try my best to keep it all at home.

Teabagbeforemilk Sun 12-Jul-15 09:09:53

It weird that the op doesn't want to pick up cat shit that's not from her cat....but thinks that her neighbours should happily pick up her cats shit

sooperdooper Sun 12-Jul-15 09:12:36

Having had to pick up cat shit from my garden yesterday from God knows who's bloody cat Yabu - it's horrible and it stinks and if I knew whose cat it was I'd complain too

RachelRagged Sun 12-Jul-15 09:15:56

Perhaps not everyone can CHOOSE to have a dog or cat . I have cats, would love a dog but cannot afford one , plus would have nobody to look after a dog if I went away for a few days .

However I am glad I read this thread, , I see how many haters our cats are up against .. .

RachelRagged Sun 12-Jul-15 09:16:43

OP some just get rabid when the words cat, shit, garden and neighbours are mentioned.

molyholy Sun 12-Jul-15 09:16:47

AIBU for thinking that cats are cats and I shouldn't be expected to be picking up any cat poo really

Erm, yes!!!! If you want to let your cats shit all over someone elses garden, which they take real pride in of course you should tidy it up. Another selfish cat owner thinking their pets have the right to do whatever the fuck they want to other peoples property.

Blahdeblah1 Sun 12-Jul-15 09:17:10

They do have a litter tray as they were exclusively house cats until I moved into this property. Cats do roam, surely I can't be held responsible for every cat poo in the street? There are so many cats around here. I think my neighbour has been talking to others in the street, and I now feel they are starting to gang up on me, and I don't really know how to approach it.

thegreylady Sun 12-Jul-15 09:22:20

Ignore them you are not responsible for where your cats poo. Legally a cat is not the same as a dog. Ask them to provide evidence that your cats are responsible, a photograph perhaps. If you clean up once they will expect it every time. My cats come indoors to use a litter tray as that is what they are used to.

molyholy Sun 12-Jul-15 09:23:04

I do think it is unfair that you are being held responsible for all the cat shit in the street OP, but people without cats do get cheesed off with cat shit in their garden and the fact tha 'cats roam' does not really cut it. It does sound like you are being made a scapegoat tho so I would just offer to clean my immediate neighbours and tell the others to get lost.

AmIthatsummery Sun 12-Jul-15 09:26:11

Another of these threads. The cat lovers wil be along soon, bleating about animal a use, etc.

OP, leave your neighbours to clean up after your cat. Just expect them to dump the result on your doorstep.

I don't hate cats, but get fucking pissed off at the local one crapping in the middle of my front garden

And no, it isn't a fox, yes it is a cat, and no it doesn't bury it.

Plus, I have spent a fortune on deterrents and I did not choose to have another cat.

echt Sun 12-Jul-15 09:26:14

OP, it is possible that the arrival of your cats has displaced the resident cats to shit elsewhere, hence the sudden shit influx.

I'm a bit hmm about a cat shitting on a drive, sounds more like a fox. You're doing your bit by cleaning up so perhaps the word has got round and all the neighbours see you as the fall guy here.

I would buy a pack of satay skewers for every one who complains, and advise them to put them in the cat shit spots. This is what I do to keep echtcat off the veggies.

LittleLionMansMummy Sun 12-Jul-15 09:35:32

I get pissed off at my own cats shitting in my own garden! I mean i always thought they were supposed to shit in other people's... hmm

I understand people getting annoyed about this, but as you've said there are lots of cats where you live and you can't be sure it's your cats. Ask them to provide evidence and say you'll oblige.

To redress the balance, I am sick and tired of our neighbour's three yappy dogs yapping constantly when we're trying to enjoy our garden too. Every single sound sets them off and they were at it till 11pm last night. Shit is pollution. So too is noise like that.

Cheby Sun 12-Jul-15 09:35:53

Serious question; how do you litter train a cat? Because ours were fully litter trained as kittens, used the tray 100% of the time. Once they had their jabs and were neutered and chipped we let them out (around 7 months old I think). From the very first day they were allowed out they stopped using the litter tray and went outside instead. Over the last 3 years if they have ever had to be kept in for any time (injury, illness etc) they will howl at the cat flap for hours before VERY reluctantly going to use the tray. Then the instant their incarceration is over they immediately stop using the tray. We always have it available to them but the litter sits untouched and perfectly clean all the time.

I just can't see how I would convince them to start using the tray again?

WhattodowithMum Sun 12-Jul-15 09:36:21

If you are providing and maintaining a litter tray, then you are doing your best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now