Talk

Advanced search

....to ask how long your commute is?

(89 Posts)
chocnomorechoc Sun 12-Jul-15 08:34:05

have recently lost my job (redundancy) and was literally working around the corner.

I can only work certain part time hours due to having caring responsibilities and had a job interview last Wednesday. I got offered the job on Friday (hours are perfect with a good pay) and would like to take it.

my mum and DP have concerns that the commute (about 9 miles and 30-40 min each way by car) will be too stressful. I am sure I will be fine.

so just wondered - how long/far do you commute to work and is it a strain?

Tulipblank Sun 12-Jul-15 08:37:03

I used to have a 1 hour 30/40 commute each way. I moved jobs and my commute is about 45 minutes. It's blissful. 30/40 mins is nothing. It'll be fine.

eurochick Sun 12-Jul-15 08:37:52

Just over an hour (train and walk, London).

thereinmadnesslies Sun 12-Jul-15 08:38:11

30 miles each way, takes approx 1hr as there is usually a traffic jam on the edge of Cambridge. 5 days a week.

LIZS Sun 12-Jul-15 08:38:50

Mine has varied from 10 minutes (3m) to 20 minutes (6m). The latter was urban traffic at peak time so traffic conditions can override distance. Neither has felt particularly stressful 9m isn't that far.

Euphemia Sun 12-Jul-15 08:39:03

Depends on the type of roads.

I could do 45 mins by motorway or dual carriageway no problem, but I currently do that by winding, narrow country roads and I find it very tiring and stressful, especially in the dark!

Then in Spring it's getting stuck behind tractors, stuff running about the roads: deer, pheasants, etc!

PolterGoose Sun 12-Jul-15 08:39:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FybilSalty Sun 12-Jul-15 08:39:37

Hour and a quarter each way, London public transport commute. 12 miles. Would love a commute like yours

chrome100 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:39:55

Mine is a three minute walk which is rather unusual I know.

However, I have never had a job I couldn't walk to (the longest I've walked is 50 mins so a couple of miles or so).

I would never take a job I had to pay to get to, either by driving or taking public transport unless I really had to, and even then wouldn't fancy more than half an hour. Time is so precious when you work, it's awful to waste it in a traffic jam.

LocatingLocatingLocating Sun 12-Jul-15 08:40:16

Just over 10 miles. Takes about 30 mins. It's absolutely fine, and I don't know many people with a commute (if you can call it that) of less than 20-30 mins.

TheMustard Sun 12-Jul-15 08:41:20

My commute is ten miles each way, so, depending on countryside traffic (tractors, etc), it totals to between 45mins-1hr30mins per day. It's not too bad at all, and I consider it my bit of quiet time before/after work, in the car by myself, and if the traffic is very slow, I can even enjoy the country surroundings a bit.

Teabagbeforemilk Sun 12-Jul-15 08:41:57

I did an hours commute (so 2 hours there and back) for 12 years. While I enjoyed the job, the commute never bothered me. When I started hating the job the commute got me down.

I not work from home so the commute is the time it takes to walk down a flight of stairs.

Personally 30-40mins would bother me. If you start doing it and it really is difficult, then look for another job.

longestlurkerever Sun 12-Jul-15 08:45:08

45 mins ish. it's fine. Congratulations and take the job! get some good music for the car and enjoy the personal space! you will be really limited in your options if you are only considering jobs in your neighbourhood.

pollypocket123 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:47:19

20-30 mins depending on traffic. 10 miles.

CrohnicallyAspie Sun 12-Jul-15 08:49:02

10 miles, can take anywhere between 15 minutes and 45 minutes depending on time of day, traffic, and whether I use motorway and dual carriage way route or through town.

I like it, I crank the music up in my car, have a good singalong, and it helps me to transition between home and work modes.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 12-Jul-15 08:50:46

25-40 mins to my office - can take anywhere between 30 mins and over an hour to our other base though depending on traffic

SlayZ Sun 12-Jul-15 08:53:36

Is it an unusually stressful road?

I'd be annoyed at them for thinking you couldn't handle something so simple! You passed your driving test didn't you?

My commute is about 20 mins, 11 miles. It's a beautiful and fun drive that really sets me up for the day grin

fourtothedozen Sun 12-Jul-15 08:54:04

About 15 seconds- I work from home.

BellsaRinging Sun 12-Jul-15 08:58:44

1 1/2 hours each way-car, train, walk (and then reverse, obviously). I used to travel to another job in the car for c45 minutes, so I can't see why you would be unable to manage, especially as you have no concerns yourself.

Who is dealing with childcare drop off/pick up? That is one thing that massively increases stress-are they concerned about that aspect. If you are going to be cutting it fine to pick up, for example that can be very stressful if you are delayed.

totallybewildered Sun 12-Jul-15 09:00:29

an hour and a half, bus/train/walk - London. Its fine.

FlowerBomber Sun 12-Jul-15 09:01:40

17 miles / 45 minutes for me at the moment and my colleagues consider that I live very close to work, some of them have commutes of at least two hours each way.

FlowerBomber Sun 12-Jul-15 09:05:18

I travel outside of rush hour

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Sun 12-Jul-15 09:07:24

London public transport here too, varies between 40 mins & 1hr30ish depending on whether I bus, tube or (preferably) walk the second bit. 35-40 mins sounds fine to me. Good luck with the job!

Brummiegirl15 Sun 12-Jul-15 09:08:52

9 miles is nothing. For a lot of people it's the next big town. You'll be absolutely fine.

Mine is all motorway and takes about 30 mins. But I used to commute into London and it was 1 1/2 hours each way

Catswiththumbs Sun 12-Jul-15 09:09:42

40 miles motorway each way. So around an hour. I work shifts so thankfully miss rush hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now