Advanced search

son's stolen/lost phone

(9 Posts)
1805 Sat 11-Jul-15 21:54:06

DS (13) is on holiday abroad with a friends family. He has just messaged me to say his phone is stolen (he's lost it???). What do I do? Do I ask the friends mother to report it? Do I just write it off to bad luck? Help!

Theas18 Sat 11-Jul-15 21:58:23

What phone and on what deal?
If it's on contract straight onto the provider and block the sim or you'll get huge bill.

If it's a sub £100 phone I'd just write it off. More expensive it might be worth looking t your travel insurance. We have " gold plated" house insurance that covers this dirt of thngs all over the world - lost or stolen ( only because we had to have a house policy that covered musical instruments on tour ..).

iPhones and some androids ( if you've registered them ) can be remotely wiped / blocked too. Be interesting so see if it's showing on the " find my phone" app too.

Millais Sat 11-Jul-15 21:58:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Theas18 Sat 11-Jul-15 22:01:30

Depends on where it is but my kids/ their mates and even 40yr old friend of mine, have had really poor experience with police whilst reporting theft in order to access insurance cover - the teens/ early 20s I can see why - thry just assume they are drunk / drugged / clubbing and careless but the 40+yr olds had a hotel room break in in Paris - the hotel and the police coukdnt care less it just wasted holiday ine.

1805 Sat 11-Jul-15 22:03:46

it's an iPhone 5, with a new battery. He said he used 'find my phone' which located it in an apartment on friday - which is change over day. Now it's not showing up anywhere. He is on a PAYG deal.
Do I bother the Mum with this?

Millais Sun 12-Jul-15 09:40:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Sun 12-Jul-15 09:52:55

He knew where it was on Friday but not now? Did he look properly then. Are they still in the same place?

If genuinely stolen it needs reporting locally for you to have any chance of claiming on insurance and the mum will need to be involved.

WeAreEternal Sun 12-Jul-15 11:26:08

Ask her to contact the local police and report it stolen, I'm certain that you will need some kind of crime reference number to make a claim on the travel insurance.

You should also contact your travel insurance provider to report the theft and let them know you want to make a claim.

1805 Sun 12-Jul-15 18:12:47

he tracked it on friday to nearby, but then he couldn't connect to it anymore after then.
I have told the mum and asked her to try and get a reference number, but not to go to too much trouble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now