Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to go to the doctors about being tired?

(49 Posts)
MyLovelyHorse123 Sat 11-Jul-15 18:08:00

This seems petty, but it's been going on for a few years.

I'm exhausted. All the time. No matter how much sleep I get or vitamins etc I take.

I've given up hobbies and I'm getting sick of seeing all the things people get up to at the weekends on facebook, while I'm sat at home, on facebook...

mintpoppet Sat 11-Jul-15 18:09:05

Do you take the vitamins because your diet isn't right? That could explain the tiredness.

steff13 Sat 11-Jul-15 18:11:43

It could be your thyroid, it could be a lack of iron or b-vitamins, it's not petty at all. I'd go to the doctor and get some bloodwork done.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jul-15 18:12:06

Yea, you should go

And if they tell you that you're iron and B vit levels are fine you should ignore it and take supplements anyway

You will suddenly be fine in a month

Has happened to 4 people I know

MyLovelyHorse123 Sat 11-Jul-15 18:13:11

I take a world of vitamins (including iron), despite my diet being pretty good. So bloody frustrating.

Chunkymonkey79 Sat 11-Jul-15 18:13:33

Yanbu

It could be a number of things... Probably easily fixed! They might want to do blood tests.

Good luck !

MyLovelyHorse123 Sat 11-Jul-15 18:15:06

Right, I'll go.

We're going to be TTC soon.... I'm clearly going to need some energy at that point...

Kundry Sat 11-Jul-15 18:21:40

There are any number of medical reasons that could be making you tired all the time. It's a very common reason to go to the GP so it is worth going to get these ruled out.

Just bear in mind that most people going to their GP because they are tired will turn out not to have a medical condition so there may not be answer. It is very much worth checking though.

Skiptonlass Sat 11-Jul-15 18:22:43

Definitely go. Get your thyroid checked (full panel, not just TSH) and your blood sugar for a start.

Me624 Sat 11-Jul-15 18:29:11

Get checked before you start ttc OP. I went to the dr after ttc for a year with no luck (I'm 28, regular periods, no known health issues) and he ordered blood tests which showed I was severely anaemic. You might be taking normal iron vitamins but the supplements they put me on to increase my levels were 30x stronger than the ones you buy in Boots. the difference in my energy levels is incredible.

britnay Sat 11-Jul-15 18:36:11

I would stop taking all the vitamins before going to gp/getting bloods taken. Then you can see what you are actually deficient in and go from there. You may actually be overdosing on some vitamins, which can be just as bad/worse than not getting enough.

EssexMummy123 Sat 11-Jul-15 18:39:42

Are you eating a healthy diet? not overweight / underweight?

fruitsherbet Sat 11-Jul-15 18:45:07

You can be B12 deficient even if you take supplements because some people cannot digest B12 so it never gets into your system. It can cause the brain fog and fatigue as well as numbness and other symptoms once it gets past a certain point. Look up "pernicious anaemia" and see if it rings any bells. Pernicious anaemic is B12 anaemia and not at all the same as iron.

I was totally convinced I had MS - I felt dreadful with constant fatigue. I eventually got tested by the GP after they looked for all sorts of other things
I now have B12 injections every 3 months but had to have a lot at first to get my levels back up. Taking it orally or eating more B12 in my diet won't help as it doesn't get through the gut.

TruJay Sat 11-Jul-15 19:32:55

I'm considering the same thing but I already know I'll be anaemic, I have been before and feel exactly the same as I did back then. I'm just terrified of blood tests so it's getting the courage up for me to go.
Definitely go OP feeling exhausted is awful, I feel so drained.
Hope you get things sorted.

PoptartPoptart Sat 11-Jul-15 20:04:13

Ask the doctor to check your vitamin D levels. I went to the doctors with the exact same symptoms 4 months ago and it turned out my vitamin D level was pretty much non existent. I was prescribed a 3 month intense high level dose of Vitamin D3 to boost my system and now I maintain by taking an over the counter supplement once a day. I feel loads better, no achy joints or tiredness like before. Worth a try OP

Yorkiebar123 Sat 11-Jul-15 20:13:32

Could you have sleep apnea? Google the symptoms.

Muddlewitch Sat 11-Jul-15 20:22:05

Agree with PP about the anaemia and iron tablets. I am severely anaemic and take 700mg a day on prescription - the average high street supplement is around 15-20mg and didn't even touch it. So you could very well be anaemic even if you are taking a supplement.

Also agree with getting a full thyroid check.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 11-Jul-15 20:24:39

Well I did
turns out iron low glucose levels high - prediabetes

so yes, go
tiredness can be a symptom of many things

rhnireland Sat 11-Jul-15 20:50:59

I ignored exhaustion putting it down to stressful work. Turns out my thyroid was a little underactive. It's underactiveness also meant conception was not that straightforward. 5 Weeks of medication (which made me feel better than I had in years) and I was pregnant.

Get yourself checked

jeanmiguelfangio Sat 11-Jul-15 20:57:16

Go!! I turned out to be severly lacking in vitamin D and B12, and they kept putting it down to depression. Now I've had proper treatment, i feel so much better, regardless of the depression!!!

squishyeyeballs Sat 11-Jul-15 20:58:00

Yep. I mentioned it to my dr that I was feeling wiped out and it turned out my thyroid was underactive. It has gotten progressively worse over the last 10 years and I always know when the dose needs to be upped because the tiredness returns.

softhedgehog Sat 11-Jul-15 20:59:42

turns out iron low glucose levels high - prediabetes

prediabetes is an entirely invented "disease" dreamed up by the drug companies who hope one day to produce a drug for it.

MyLovelyHorse123 Sat 11-Jul-15 21:06:31

So it could be anything....

Dr Google has diagnosed me with just about everything.

EnlightenedOwl Sat 11-Jul-15 21:14:43

Well being fair dr never used the word prediabetes but the glucose levels are high and its a warning sign so I shall take heed

PurpleSwift Sat 11-Jul-15 21:16:18

Yes go! Tiredness can be a symptom of many things that can be diagnosed by something as simple as a blood test. Go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now