Talk

Advanced search

to judge parents who use normal nappies on their children in paddling pools

(23 Posts)
Karoliina Sat 11-Jul-15 15:52:37

I've visited two different paddling pools several times over the past week with my two dc and have been staggered by the number of babies and toddlers in the water who are wearing an ordinary disposable nappy. The nappies are soaked to the brim and are hanging in the poor children's knees.

I can't imagine how uncomfortable this must be for the children and cannot understand why the parents don't realise this. The nappies are saturated with water so won't absorb any wee, and as they're so heavy they're hanging down low so won't keep in any poo either.

Furthermore, I think disposables contain chemicals which can be hazardous to health (eg a chemical that has been banned in tampons). These chemicals can then leech into the water and expose all the other children to them as well, especially if the nappy bursts from being so full.

So, AIBU to feel sorry for these babies and children and to think less of their parents?

CaptainSwan Sat 11-Jul-15 15:58:14

It's not ideal but I should imagine it's last minute decisions to go when already out and about, or the (deluded) expectation that the children won't get that wet...!

Swim nappies don't absorb any wee either btw, they just hopefully catch the poo.

I do feel sorry for the children though, you're right-it doesn't look comfortable.

theendoftheendoftheend Sat 11-Jul-15 15:58:47

YABU, DD has digestive probs and if she does poo it stays in the nappy much better then a swim one. She wore a swim one last weekend and somehow managed to leave a poo on the side of the jacuzzi, that was much worse blush

Trooperslane Sat 11-Jul-15 15:58:47

Horrible and unhygienic. Ewww

LucyBabs Sat 11-Jul-15 16:03:30

captain
Swim nappies don't absorb wee shock so my ds was peeing in the pool when he used to need a swim nappy eek!

sanfairyanne Sat 11-Jul-15 16:19:59

people do this?? how stupid!

ObeseDenise Sat 11-Jul-15 16:20:55

YANBU.

We were in Bridlington (eurgh) last week and the beach was full of babies and toddlers in low hanging sodden regular nappies. It must feel so horrible and uncomfortable not to mention the hygiene problems.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sat 11-Jul-15 16:37:28

Swimming nappies are useless too they're only good for holding poo should the child do one

PurpleSwift Sat 11-Jul-15 16:57:24

Yanbu. They won't hold any wee and how they hold anything solid when they're hanging down to a child's knees I do not know.

CasperGutman Sat 11-Jul-15 17:23:03

so my ds was peeing in the pool when he used to need a swim nappy eek!

Yes, obviously! There's worse news - half the other people children in the pool were peeing in there too, whether they were wearing normal nappies, swim nappies or no nappies.

Fairy13 Sat 11-Jul-15 17:23:17

Yabu.
Swim nappies do not hold wee anyway. We went to a splash park recently, hadn't planned to go. I put a fresh nappy on DS when he got in, it is a splash pool and he doesn't like all the jets of water, just paddles in it, occasionally sat down in a pool of water here and there. We were there an hour and his nappy was not down to his knees.
I honestly cannot think of a reason why you could possibly find this inappropriate. Swim nappy are much more unhygienic.

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-Jul-15 17:52:49

Sounds grim to me.

poocatcherchampion Sat 11-Jul-15 17:54:44

Sounds gross!

Lol at the people that think a swim nappies hold wee.

MayPolist Sat 11-Jul-15 18:57:08

Even in a swim nappy which allegedly contains poo, water still swishes round it and shares it's germs with the rest of the pool.TBH I think untrained babies and children in public water is gross and antisocial

Leggytadpole Sat 11-Jul-15 18:57:52

Wow I'm amazed they are wearing nappies at all in a paddling pool! Bare bums for my dc in the garden! You're right though and I've judged parents for the same thing on beaches and in pools.

LucyBabs Sat 11-Jul-15 18:58:04

Oh no not my children fairy we have manners and pee before swimming wink

MiaowTheCat Sat 11-Jul-15 19:02:55

One of our local splash parks stipulates normal nappies rather than swim nappies - I just use a slightly on the small side swimming costume to keep the nappy up and not dangling low when we're there. What else am I meant to do - not take her, and by association not take her sister either because it sparks the MN collective judgypants brigade?

In contrast our local public paddling pool requests, and therefore gets, swim nappies there - I go by what I'm asked to do.

TopCivilServant Sat 11-Jul-15 19:04:06

Hang on. Disposable nappies contain chemicals so nasty that a child paddling in water that has been in contact with a nappy could be harmed? Is this actually true or a massive load of bollocks (If it is true I will of course be very sorrygrin)

NickiFury Sat 11-Jul-15 19:06:14

You were "staggered" by this were you? Right.

Maybe they got caught short, maybe their kids started wailing and screaming to go in and they thought "oh well just for a bit" and didn't happen to have swim nappies with them?

hedgehogsdontbite Sat 11-Jul-15 19:08:16

I suspect the kids were happy and having fun and completely oblivious to the saturation level of their nappies.

YABU

hazeyjane Sat 11-Jul-15 19:19:12

TBH I think untrained babies and children in public water is gross and antisocial

Best avoid any pools we will be going to then, ds (5) is disabled and will be wearing nappies for a while yet. He wears a reusable swim nappy inside swimming trunks, we will try not to swish any wee near you!

rockybalboa Sat 11-Jul-15 19:23:23

Yeah, I was kinda with you until I got to the guff about disposable nappies containing chemicals which are hazardous to health and might leak into the water. Given the choice I would much rather see a toddler in some sort of nappy than risk mass evacuation and a spoilt paddle because some little darling has shat in the pool because mummy didn't like seeing him with a big full nappy round his knees.

mmollytoots Sat 11-Jul-15 19:24:02

swim nappies do not hold pee in fact I was waiting to get into the pool one day and my baby peed all over me because swim nappies don't hold wee. and this was before we even got in the pool. they just catch poo and don't have as much stuffing so the baby is more comfortable

there is a lot worse things floating in all pools than pee

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now