Talk

Advanced search

to think that Mary Berry looks slightly ridiculous

(42 Posts)
ObeseDenise Sat 11-Jul-15 15:36:52

with the really obvious false eyelashes she has on in the ad for GBBO?

It's like seeing Angela Landsbury with a heavy contour and winged eyeliner.

Or The Queen with ombre lips.

Before I get accused of being ageist I think she's have looked ok with subtle individual lashes and not the dragtastic strip lashes she's sporting.

MamaLazarou Sat 11-Jul-15 15:42:12

YANBU, the eyelashes are way OTT, IMO.

ShelaghTurner Sat 11-Jul-15 15:43:29

Nope. Just watched the trailer, think she looks marvellous. I'm a huge advocate for wearing whatever the fuck you like without judgement and at 80 it's even more reason to wear whatever the fuck you like without judgement.

mrsdavidbowie Sat 11-Jul-15 15:43:30

I'm loving the image of the Queen grin

LikeIcan Sat 11-Jul-15 15:48:53

I think she looks great!
Good to see women of Mary's age presenting TV programmes, something I never thought I'd see ( weren't they sacking any woman over 50 at some point? )

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 11-Jul-15 15:55:03

I like Mary's style choices but the eyelashes just look incongruous with the jeans and blazer she's wearing. Mel seems to have them on too, maybe the makeup person got them on a 3 for 2 deal at Boots!

Personally I don't think those draggy eyelashes suit anyone.

FrankietheSquealer Sat 11-Jul-15 15:56:29

agree her make up detracts from her natural good looks

ObeseDenise Sat 11-Jul-15 15:56:38

Yeah I'd be willing to bet that Mary didn't sit down in the MUA's chair and ask for them.

She's wearing a blazer and jeans. Who wears falsies that outfit grin .

ObeseDenise Sat 11-Jul-15 15:56:57

crosspost with Mitzy.

Marshy Sat 11-Jul-15 15:57:38

Oh leave her alone!

If I can be half bothered at her age I'll be bloody celebrating. Good on her.

Marshy Sat 11-Jul-15 16:02:30

And of course you're being ageist. How many other threads have you started about women with false eyelashes?

MamaLazarou Sat 11-Jul-15 16:04:16

I think it's because she is fair skinned with fair hair and light blue eyes. Thick black lashes look too startling on her. False lashes are for evening wear, IMO.

nurserywindow Sat 11-Jul-15 16:09:46

She's fantastic. Looks brilliant for her age and if she wants to wear false lashes, good for her!

carabos Sat 11-Jul-15 16:11:43

There's definitely a GBBO "look" which is weirdly over made-up. Presenters and contestants are always larded with slap, which is somewhat incongruous IMO.

Pussycatbow Sat 11-Jul-15 16:15:18

The dark lashes are not balanced with dark brows. I think that's what makes it look strange.

seaoflove Sat 11-Jul-15 16:17:42

I agree they look weird, especially on a woman of her age.

I LOVE her blazers and jackets though. She's not afraid to wear a neon floral bomber jacket, and I salute her for that smile

Hero1callylost Sat 11-Jul-15 16:23:48

Yes, weird eyelashes but she always looks great and beautifully presented otherwise. I think she's amazing for keeping going for so long!

Is that actually her dancing/prancing at the beginning though? If it is I admire her even more!

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02wqg1j

ObeseDenise Sat 11-Jul-15 16:25:36

I liked her flowery bomber too smile .

She has a lovely delicate face. Which is completely overpowered by the harsh black lashes. As a makeup artist I know I could've done a more flattering look on her.

HowDoesThatWork Sat 11-Jul-15 16:25:48

Having hair that does not move, at all, gives the appearance of a hat. She has striking eyes.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 11-Jul-15 16:30:45

I've just noticed that Sue Perkins has false lashes on too! Surprised at that. So it must have been a 3 for 2 at Boots.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 11-Jul-15 16:31:17

Paul appears to still be an annoying twerp.

FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Sat 11-Jul-15 17:05:41

It's not just a GBBO thing. Big black false lashes are bloody everywhere at the moment. Everyone just wants to look so heavily made up all the time, it's awful.

LazyLouLou Sat 11-Jul-15 17:09:45

Maybe the makeup artist was trying not to be ageist... GBBO is supposed to be hip, apparently!

WixingMords Sat 11-Jul-15 17:11:20

"Who wears falsies that outfit"

Mary Berry.

FrankietheSquealer Sat 11-Jul-15 17:22:34

my mum looks the SPIT of her. Black false eyelashes are de trop for a blonde in day time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now