Talk

Advanced search

Call me 'Stepmum' - weird right?

(22 Posts)
Littlef00t Sat 11-Jul-15 10:58:33

Years ago when I was a teenager my mum sadly died. My dad remarried a couple of years later and my new stepmum tried to insist I didn't call her by her name, but called her Stepmum.

I found it weird, stepmum is an adjective never a proper noun right?! I did sometimes as she made a fuss if I didn't, but in the end just call her by her name and she has accepted this.

Anyway, I sometimes ponder whether anyone knows anyone who calls their stepmum 'Stepmum'.

hiddenhome Sat 11-Jul-15 11:15:45

That sounds ridiculous.

msgrinch Sat 11-Jul-15 11:16:42

Very weird. I call mine by her name too her face

DoJo Sat 11-Jul-15 11:22:06

I don't even really like the term 'stepmum' and always called mine my 'stepmother' when referring to her as 'mum' seems like a name to me whereas mother seems more like a description. I have never met anyone who actually referred to their step parents like that - it is pretty weird to suggest it!

ScorpioMermaid Sat 11-Jul-15 11:24:54

why would anyone say stepmum/dad? its bizarre! I call my stepdad by his name. always have since I was 5. I do send him cards etc with dad on though with his name written inside. kids call him grandad.

Littlef00t Sat 11-Jul-15 16:47:28

So glad it's not just me! I too felt stepmum is not a nice word and much nicer to call her by her given name.

But isn't it also a bit weird to insist, rather than letting the children choose what they are comfortable with?

I toyed with the idea of trying to persuade her Steppy was an adorable nickname. I sometimes wondered if she hoped I'd give up on the step- bit and just start calling her mum, which I would NEVER do.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 11-Jul-15 16:50:33

Weird. I call my stepdad by his name. Always have.

It's like always calling your brother, brother or sister, sister. I dont call my DD, Daughter.

Littlef00t Sat 11-Jul-15 16:52:35

I agree, but it's a strange one that parents and grandparents are called mum/dad/grandad etc, and when I was younger Aunty x, but why first name with steps?

Mehitabel6 Sat 11-Jul-15 16:53:03

Very weird- it describes the relationship, but it is not a name.

MuttonCadet Sat 11-Jul-15 16:53:21

My stepkids call me by my name, anything else would be weird.

LemonYellowSun Sat 11-Jul-15 16:54:09

It is very odd. Most people call step parents by their name, some use mum or dad. I have never heard of this.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 11-Jul-15 17:09:27

I think the reason why parents and grandparents are normally called by the title instead of name is probably to define them as the heads of house.

ebwy Sat 11-Jul-15 17:15:37

my eldest (the yonger one isn't verbal enough yet) calls my husband "uncle"

He knows he's his stepfather, but he was always "uncle" before we got together so the title stuck

wheresthelight Sat 11-Jul-15 17:15:43

My steps kids call me wheres same as everyone other than dd. anything else would be odd

LemonySmithit Sat 11-Jul-15 17:31:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Littlef00t Sat 11-Jul-15 17:33:46

I can see the title rather than name is often as a sign of respect. And as stepmum isn't really a desirable thing, with negative connotations, it's not used.

HoneyLemon Sun 12-Jul-15 07:26:31

HoneyLemon Sun 12-Jul-15 07:30:38

Joshuajosephspork Sun 12-Jul-15 07:32:04

You are obviously very ghetto in your household HoneyLemon smile

thegreylady Sun 12-Jul-15 09:29:30

My 3 dstep children always call me by my first name and my dc do the same with my husband. To call someone Stepmum sounds funny a bit like calling her Stepladder.

Hubnut Sun 12-Jul-15 10:18:18

Weird. Like the postman insisting you call him "Postman". I hate it when step parents push nonsensical issues in already difficult circumstances.

Gem124 Sun 12-Jul-15 10:42:51

I call my step dad by his name and my wicked step mother is referred to as such! My dad accepts this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now