Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to yell shut up out of my bedroom window?

(16 Posts)
Emochild Sat 11-Jul-15 08:49:27

The people across the road are having an extension

This was supposed to be my 1 lie in of the month and the bloody builders started work at 7.05

I persevered for a bit, using tactics such as burying my head under my pillow -but I got really hot

Decided to go and make a cup of tea and have a good attempt at my book but they are currently digging foundations so the digger engine, scraping noise and rubble being tipped into a skip are making it difficult to concentrate

They've started at 7am every morning this week

Whilst I appreciate the 5 minute delay to them starting work this morning -couldn't they have waited a bit longer??

and yes I know i'm unreasonable, they have jobs to do,yadda, yadda... But I needed to vent

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 11-Jul-15 08:52:02

Check the planning permission, it may give hours they are allowed to work. You might find yanbu.

jamaisdeux Sat 11-Jul-15 08:53:29

No, YANBU. Poor you. 7am seems ridiculous.

This happened to me in Madrid and I had a newborn baby, it drove me mad. I had a proper hissy fit.

brew

googoodolly Sat 11-Jul-15 08:54:09

They're actually not meant to start work until 8am any day of the week - might be worth pointing out that they're breaking the law by starting at work at 7am. They're also not allowed to do noisy work on a Sunday.

FarFromAnyRoad Sat 11-Jul-15 08:55:14

I don't think YABU at all. Not at all. People across the road, on the other hand, sound like a bunch of prize winning fuckwits. At the very least I'd have expected them to warn you - but it is worth checking whether they are actually permitted to do this at such an hour.

Only1scoop Sat 11-Jul-15 08:55:20

Yanbu Id be fuming at 7am on a Saturday

I also thought it was 8am

jamaisdeux Sat 11-Jul-15 08:55:45

Yep, 7am seems far, far too early to me.

NewFlipFlops Sat 11-Jul-15 08:57:11

YANBU at all.

Epilepsyhelp Sat 11-Jul-15 08:57:32

Oh god YANBU. I would cry.

FatimaLovesBread Sat 11-Jul-15 09:02:40

Have a look on here www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/412/pollution_control_-_noise/654/noise_from_building_works
That's just the first council that came up in my google search, all others state that same.
They shouldn't be digging and making noise until 8am

ValancyJane Sat 11-Jul-15 09:05:46

I was tempted to do the same when the neighbours decided 8:30am on a Saturday morning was a cracking time to mow their lawn today! I know it's not a completely ridiculous time (and I wasn't actually having a lie in) - but other people might have been, and personally I think they should have waited until 9:30 just to be considerate.

SweepTheHalls Sat 11-Jul-15 09:06:49

7.30 here. This is my only proper lay on of the year as DH is away, the DC are staying with parents (very rare and very appreciated) and I actually went out last night! And even though I'm 15 weeks pregnant I danced the night away!
7.30!!!!!! Not fair!

DontOpenDeadInside Sat 11-Jul-15 09:41:21

I want to go and hoover my car, but I'm waiting until 10am to be considerate! not that my neighbours are with their bloody yapping dogs

MrsGentlyBenevolent Sat 11-Jul-15 09:55:20

YANBU. Next door's landlord has hired people to do work. However, they only do this work Thurs-Sunday, and have been known to start before 7am (yes, even on a Sunday). I didn't yell out the window, but I did have the window open one morning, whilst loudly discussing building regs with my partner. Funnily enough, all works started after 8am after that....

JessBear123 Sat 11-Jul-15 10:11:31

We had this at 7 this morning in a near bungalow and its driving me nuts. There is no need to start so bloody early. I feel for you sad

StuntBottom Sat 11-Jul-15 10:15:15

I bet the same early-start builders will knock off by 4.00pm at the latest. Never understood why builders have to start and finish so early. If they worked till 5.00pm like most of us, they wouldn't need to start so early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now