Talk

Advanced search

to think it's not possible to give up sugar

(204 Posts)
enifing Fri 10-Jul-15 20:36:04

I have heard people suggest this from time to time. It's not possible with DCs, is it?

We've given up most cereal, but porridge has to have sugar or some sugar substitute.

Stewed fruit can't be fine without sugar.

Home baking, absolute no-no.

How dull would life be? I would probably overdose on salt instead...

Pagwatch Fri 10-Jul-15 20:38:38

I have plain porridge

(I have also lost 1 1/2 stone in under two months)

[smug]

FarFromAnyRoad Fri 10-Jul-15 20:38:43

You'd be surprised how sweet things taste when you have given up refined sugar! Maybe stewed fruit would be a bit tart - it's not something I'd eat! You can reduce the sugar in baking by at least a third, sometimes more so although that's not 'given it up' exactly it's a step in the right direction.
Some sugar isn't bad for you though - and when it's as a treat it's ok in my book. I find I don't actually like cakes/chocolates etc anymore - they really do taste too sickeningly sweet!

FarFromAnyRoad Fri 10-Jul-15 20:39:12

Porridge is fine without sugar - it really is!

Smoorikins Fri 10-Jul-15 20:40:18

Add dried fruit to porridge. Use applesauce or dates to sweeten baking.

Of course, just because it is possible doesn't mean I do it..

redcaryellowcar Fri 10-Jul-15 20:41:10

I think you are right, it's really difficult, I think you have to write off cake, fruit is ok stewed without, but you need to use dessert apples rather than baking. I found a type of bread without sugar, but only one! (Vogel) things like cheese straws are nice snacks which are not cakes.

HopefulHamster Fri 10-Jul-15 20:41:56

You're right about a lot of it but porridge is ok with no sugar.

enifing Fri 10-Jul-15 20:42:17

If you reduce the sugar in baking, don't you end up eating more cake?

FarFromAnyRoad Fri 10-Jul-15 20:43:26

Self control is all enifing grin - I think if you're going to eat half a full sized cake the sugar content is probably the least of your worries!

RiverTam Fri 10-Jul-15 20:44:16

I did it once for 6 weeks, it is certainly doable but not a very good idea, ime. Everything in moderation and all that.

enifing Fri 10-Jul-15 20:45:24

So, then, what do you eat for treats? Do you ever have pudding? Do you have DCs?

And how much salt does porridge need to make it taste OK without sugar??

ProfYaffle Fri 10-Jul-15 20:45:33

I've not eaten sugar this year. tbf though I don't have a sweet tooth and my idea of a treat is pork scratchings or cheese. I've also lost just over 3 stone grin

ProfYaffle Fri 10-Jul-15 20:46:03

I've given up sugar - the dc haven't.

poocatcherchampion Fri 10-Jul-15 20:46:05

Add the stewed fruit to the porridge. Problem solved.

ouryve Fri 10-Jul-15 20:47:01

The only sweetness I add to my porridge is a banana. There is absolutely no need to add anthing to it that's purely sweet, with no nutritional value.

Loafliner Fri 10-Jul-15 20:49:17

I can't give up sugar long term but i can give up chocolate which i completely adore, so incan still enjoy a sweet treat but nothing tastes as good as choc so i don't tend to over indulge so much.

addictedtosugar Fri 10-Jul-15 20:49:59

Why is stewed fruit OK? Surely it has sugar in??? As does dried fruit and fresh fruit.
What types of sugar count??

CharlieCoCo Fri 10-Jul-15 20:50:01

cinammon to porriage (and fresh fruit like banana or raspberries or just the cinnamon)

paxtecum Fri 10-Jul-15 20:51:26

Dark, unrefined sugar is quite healthy, but beware some brown sugar is white sugar with colouring.
I think it needs to be labelled as unrefined for it to be the real thing.

I would use that in baking and stewed fruit and porridge.
Honey is lovely on porridge too.

enifing Fri 10-Jul-15 20:51:27

Arf at half a cake. I'm really tired at the moment so I'm not exercising much will power when it comes to sweet things.

Porridge and banana. I'm going to try that.

HennaFlare Fri 10-Jul-15 20:51:32

I've done it for 3 1/2 years so far. I can't see myself ever going back. I've lost 5stone after a lifetime of weight struggles. I'm now recovering from surgery to remove the excess skin, so i'd be bloody stupid to start eating the stuff again!!

Golfhotelromeofoxtrot Fri 10-Jul-15 20:52:16

Porridge does not need sugar.

Neither does stewed fruit.

If you want to eat sugar, and you want to lose weight, you have to decide what you want more.

enifing Fri 10-Jul-15 20:53:23

Well exactly, addicted, what is OK and what isn't? Cos if you just replace sugar with honey then it's easy - I can do that!

paxtecum Fri 10-Jul-15 20:53:27

Stewed fruit with out added sugar or honey would be really difficult to eat.
Rather like eating a lemon.

Totality22 Fri 10-Jul-15 20:54:56

Giving up refined sugar is probably much more doable. Cut out the cap and moderate the natural sugar you take.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now