Talk

Advanced search

Parking thread! Aibu to put a note on this persons car?

(47 Posts)
CatthiefKeith Fri 10-Jul-15 20:13:06

I live in a row of terraced houses, just before a school. There are eight houses. The five before the school have zig zags outside, the three the other end (including mine) do not. Opposite our houses is the rec/park.

At weekends there are no restrictions, and the spaces outside our houses are usually taken up by visitors, or visitors to the village hall, which is opposite the school.

For the last three weekends a car has parked right in the middle of the houses, but on the opposite side of the road. The street isn't wide enough for two cars to park opposite each other and still allow vehicles through the gap, so effectively this woman is stopping 5/6 people or their visitors parking outside their house for the weekend. The car is usually picked up Sunday night. Nobody has any idea who it belongs to.

I know that we could all park the other side, but it's a faff. Car seats are then on the wrong side, or we have to go up to the end if the road to turn round so they are the right side, and it's a bit further to drag the grocery shopping. Plus one of the houses has a visitor who uses a wheelchair.

Aibu to put a polite note on her car asking her to park this side of the road instead?

Teabagbeforemilk Fri 10-Jul-15 20:14:53

Are you kidding?

CatthiefKeith Fri 10-Jul-15 20:15:23

I know it's a her btw, dh caught a glimpse if her getting into her car last Sunday night.

CatthiefKeith Fri 10-Jul-15 20:17:54

I know, it feels unreasonable, but it would be much easier if she just parked outside my house all weekend, instead of on the opposite side.

She tends to leave it Friday afternoon when nobody is using the spaces, and pick it up Sunday night when everyone has gone home.

I'm pretty sure she hasn't realised it is inconveniencing anyone.

Sigh. I can't, can I?

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Fri 10-Jul-15 20:19:37

Nope. If she is parking legally, there's nothing you can really do.

Boysclothes Fri 10-Jul-15 20:19:42

Of course you can leave a polite note.

Collaborate Fri 10-Jul-15 20:19:48

'cos it's such a faff to have to cross the road?

YABU. Don't do it!

EeyoresTail Fri 10-Jul-15 20:20:29

Maybe she thinks she is being considerate by NOT parking outside your house?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 10-Jul-15 20:20:46

Sorry, I think I've missed something confused.

The road is too narrow to park on either side but still so wide that parking on the opposite side is a hassle?

Car seats on the wrong side? Is it a cul-de-sac? Don't you have to turn the car round anyway?

Definitely must have missed something.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 10-Jul-15 20:23:29

x-posted with your updates.

Is there still enough space for the residents to park with her car there? No matter which side of the road they have to park on, that is. Can everyone still get a space?

If not, that's the element that would annoy me - not the crossing the road grin.

CatthiefKeith Fri 10-Jul-15 20:29:50

I don't think my op was very clear. I'd be quite happy for her to park outside my house, I can just park further up, but one neighbour has a son who has lost his legs, and there are no ramps along our road, plus the footpath our side of the road is really wide, about 5ft, whereas in the other side it is only two, so he blocks the path while he gets himself and his chair out. There is another neighbour who has newborn twins, who struggles for the same reason.

At weekends everyone used to park slightly on the large pavement, (still leaving 4ft of pavement) so as not to restrict the traffic, however this lady has no way of knowing any of this, obviously.

She is legally parked, but it would be so much easier if she could park this side.

I know iabu really, it's just frustrating.

MrTumblesSpottyHag Fri 10-Jul-15 20:32:27

I can't see the harm in asking her tbh, as long as you're polite about it then go for it.

CatthiefKeith Fri 10-Jul-15 20:33:16

Santa, same amount of space if we all park that side, but much more faff.

Plus there is a footpath into the park that side. Kids coming out of the park won't be able to see up the slow gentle hill that our road is on to cross if we all park there.

The oncoming traffic will be coming down the hill past all the parked cars. The way we usually park means this isn't an issue.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Fri 10-Jul-15 20:33:48

If I came back to my car with a note politely explaining that my parking was making it difficult for everyone else and would I mind parking on the other side of the road it wouldn't offend me. I'd leave the note OP.

thehousewife Fri 10-Jul-15 20:34:13

No your not, just do it, if it's just a polite note explaining your reasons I can't see why she would be bothered by it?? It's not a major issue for her really is it just to park in the other side of the road??!!

andadietcoke Fri 10-Jul-15 20:35:03

I've left a note before saying something along the lines of 'know you're perfectly entitled to park there...consider parking differently...polite request...' Etc etc etc

Boysclothes Fri 10-Jul-15 20:39:14

Why are you BU? You're suggesting that you might politely ask someone to do something reasonable. That is NOT U, and only on MN would it ever be suggested it would be so.... Ignore MN on this one.

CatthiefKeith Fri 10-Jul-15 20:42:55

I think it is hard to describe, I am currently parked 4 houses up. I won't attach a pic for fear of outing myself, but have drawn a pic.

The other problem with parking on the other side is we would lose a couple of spaces due to the village hall car park and some private gates to the local shops loading bay.

Sorry about the preschool looking drawing btw.

Twodogsandahooch Fri 10-Jul-15 20:45:45

Just leave a polite note. I wouldn't mind at all.

CatthiefKeith Fri 10-Jul-15 20:49:37

I was thinking about putting

'Hello there. I hope this won't offend you, as I realise you are quite within your rights to park as you have, but would you consider moving your car to the other side of the road please?

It's just that some of the residents of the houses opposite have disabilities and small children, so find it easier to park that side of the street. Number 10 is a good spot, there is usually a space there all weekend and the owners won't mind at all if you park outside their house.

Kind regards, Keith at number 10

That's not offensive, surely?

Nothingtodowithme Fri 10-Jul-15 20:54:28

I wouldn't be offended if I received that note.

maddening Fri 10-Jul-15 20:59:50

You could put a note nicely ask no her to park it on the other side of the road, it need not be an argument here - just a nice request saying that you have no objection to Parking as you have no legal right to the space beyond first come first served but just it would help more residents park due to the way the road is laid out.

candlesandlight Fri 10-Jul-15 21:02:28

Sounds very reasonable to me

wtfisgoingonhere Fri 10-Jul-15 21:02:57

Same here, I'd be happy with a polite note smile

bostonbaby Fri 10-Jul-15 21:06:40

Leave the note. Better than slashing the tyres I suppose

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now