Talk

Advanced search

Please can Someone advise me

(11 Posts)
Bubbles1986 Fri 10-Jul-15 13:30:13

I have a lit of difficultly in social situations particularly knowing what things are and arnt appropriate to say.
My reception age son is in a school talent contest and he's telling jokes. The joke which I'm concerned about it "what's invisible and smells like carrots" "bunny farts". Is this OK for him to tell or is it too rude? Tia

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 10-Jul-15 13:33:30

I really think a fart joke is fine.

pudcat Fri 10-Jul-15 13:34:24

Haha made me laugh

strawberryshoes Fri 10-Jul-15 13:36:16

fine, although my daughters reception teacher prefers "bottom burps" or "parps" because she does not like the children to use the word fart (she is v strict)

FenellaFellorick Fri 10-Jul-15 13:36:17

small children love fart jokes. some adults are a bit catsbummouth about it.

If you want a second opinion, why not pass his script to his teacher and see what they think? They know the other parents, they know what the kids normally do for these talent shows.

Bubbles1986 Fri 10-Jul-15 13:36:31

OK good thanks. I'm always second guessing myself as at least twice a day I hear off friends and colleagues "ooh bubbles you can't say that" to various things I say and so I don't want him to have to hear that. Thank you

HippyChickMama Fri 10-Jul-15 13:36:43

Maybe he could say bunny trumps instead? It's funny though and I'll be sharing that with 8 year old ds when he is home from school! My ds told jokes in his reception talent show too. We had 'why did the orange roll down the hill? Because it ran out of juice' 'why did the banana go to the doctor's? Because it wasn't peeling very well' and 'mummy tomato, daddy tomato and baby tomato are walking along and baby tomato is dragging behind. Daddy tomato goes over and squishes him and says "ketchup!"' (thanks Pulp Fiction for that one!)

Bubbles1986 Fri 10-Jul-15 13:45:17

I'll run it past the teacher tonight. Thanks everyone.

Good jokes HIppy

jammiecat Fri 10-Jul-15 13:52:08

I just told my 4 year old that joke and he thought it was hilarious so a great joke it would seem although I did use rabbit trumps rather than farts as others have suggested.

ShirleySmears Fri 10-Jul-15 13:58:23

I think in the context of a stand-up routine it's fine, in the same way that all comedians use language that wouldn't be acceptable in a job interview/in front of granny.

The fact that it is a bit risqué will make it a massive hit

TheVeryHungryPreggo Fri 10-Jul-15 14:07:14

I'd use farts. Some people say trumps or bottom burps or parps to be polite, but not every family will use the same polite version and it would probably confuse half of the four year olds in the audience and lose the humour. But everyone knows what a fart is! And the shock value of the rather coarse word is part of the humour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now