Talk

Advanced search

To hate it when people constantly share motivational messages on Facebook!

(60 Posts)
Samwelly Fri 10-Jul-15 13:10:10

I know that this sounds ungrateful, but I wish that people wouldn't send these quite so often. Often, my entire newsfeed on Facebook consists of these. Delightful and inspirational though they are on most occasions, I am just sick of receiving them.

I love hearing what people have been up to on FB. However, I have to trawl through multiple inspirational messages in order to see this.

Don't get me started on Games requests! I really do not want to play Candy Crush saga or any other FB game smile

I can't unfriend the people who send these inspirational messages and games requests, as I do enjoy their other posts!

ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 10-Jul-15 13:12:12

You can block most game requests though - and if certain people are the ones who are most guilty for the inspirational quotes, then downgrade what you see from them to "only important stuff".

LivinLaVidaLoki Fri 10-Jul-15 13:13:48

grin

ghostyslovesheep Fri 10-Jul-15 13:14:09

just post stuff like this in response

www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/dont-ever-call-me-f-in-english-again#.qqGP0RPak

Pantone363 Fri 10-Jul-15 13:14:42

Oh I love them. Especially when they are accompanied by a picture of a minion. Then I know that they really mean it.

callamia Fri 10-Jul-15 13:14:49

It's all the minion crap that bored the life out of me. Have people always been so banal?

reni1 Fri 10-Jul-15 13:15:31

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. grin

Couldn't resist an inspirational quote for you, sorry. Yanbu, very annoying. Usually twee or pompous.

paulapompom Fri 10-Jul-15 13:15:50

grin at Livin

Y0la Fri 10-Jul-15 13:16:18

I don't know... most of those messages would wash right over me, but occasionally because of something I've been through, I identify with it and think, wow, facebook wisdom can really hit the spot sometimes. However, most of my friends are all very intelligent people and worse than that wink they're all self-consciously intelligent, so there isn't an over-abundance of facebook wisdom in my feed. I have an English friend living in France and she's a therapist. She sometimes shares articles about psychology in French and I like them! or share them. Comment putain pretentieux et que?! i can't speak it but I can read it.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 10-Jul-15 13:17:09

Icimoi Fri 10-Jul-15 13:18:36

YANBU. I scroll straight past them, but it's irritating that I have to do it. The main culprit just occasionally posts something that's worth seeing, otherwise she'd have been blocked by now.

MishMooshAndMogwai Fri 10-Jul-15 13:19:35

ExMIL is a fan of these, particularly the ones professing a nanas undying love for her grandchildren no matter how little the see eachother.

Lovely, would be nicer if she could be arsed to pick up the phone and ring dd who, at 4, does not have facebook and is not benefiting from these oh so thoughtful messages!

What REALLY annoys me though is people who share them to celebrate national days of celebration eg 'national mother and daughter day' and such. Not only am I fairly sure they don't exist but they NEVER share it on the right day!

Same with Jamie bulger/princess Diana/Steve urwin/ whoevers birthdays. 'It would have been X's birthday today, RIP, never forget!' Lovely, if you make the effort to glance at the date and realise that it was first shared 18 months ago and it's nowhere near their actual birthdays!

Irrational I know but that one gives me the rage!

soloula Fri 10-Jul-15 13:21:36

I couldn't do without them - otherwise how would I know that people love their son/daughter or miss their mum/dad/dog in heaven.

I'm also really grateful to the friends that share all the pictures of bundles of money and four leaf clovers so that I too can share in their good fortune grin

Y0la Fri 10-Jul-15 13:21:37

"Have people always been so banal?"

Acerbic.,,. I have about 179 friends like you! so I can cope with the one non-cynic who posts inspirational messages! She also goes to see a medium quite regularly

TheTravellingLemon Fri 10-Jul-15 13:22:11

Bleugh. Too many of those on my newsfeed is grounds for a cull. Can't stand them.

I also hate the ones that say 'share if your sister is your best friend' or 'share if you're a mother of sons'. No. I will not. Bugger off.

Y0la Fri 10-Jul-15 13:22:55

MishMoosh* hilarious. My xmil sends big cards with "to my grandson" on them! It is like urinating around the grandchild.

AnnPerkins Fri 10-Jul-15 13:38:20

sad

BabyGanoush Fri 10-Jul-15 13:43:24

you can just go to the people's profile page and click: unfollow.

Their stuff doesn't show on your feed anymore, yet you have not had to "unfriend"

easy.

tbtc Fri 10-Jul-15 13:54:00

Rather than unfollow the friend, if you click on the arrow on the top right of the motivational shite you have the option to Hide Post, Hide [friend], Hide all from [motivational shite].

Obviously there are lots of sites, but if you have a major culprit it should help.

I tend to just skip over them, but some friends ONLY seem to post these things which is really dull.

CigarsofthePharoahs Fri 10-Jul-15 13:54:30

I had a friend who kept filling in all those annoying quizzes. Do I really want to know that his ideal job is Lion Tamer, his Star Trek character is Lt Uhura and his spirit animal is a manatee? No I don't. One day my news feed was chock full of these and nothing else, I have unfollowed him.
I hate minion quotes. I have blocked them.
One friend does share a 'photo of the day' rather a lot. They're a bit pretentious but they don't have a nauseating motivational quote on them.

AnnPerkins Fri 10-Jul-15 13:59:18

I've disabled the Timehop app. Most photos my friend and her DH post are barely interesting the first time so they don't get any better by reposting them every damn year.

tbtc Fri 10-Jul-15 14:03:24

Timehop.....dear God....

"How my babies have grown"...no shit.

Some of them are good e.g. seeing Olympic torches from 3 years ago, but in general, nope.

I have a friend who uses FB to market her WAH business. For me, it's backfired because the 20 or 30 postings were so annoying I unfollowed her.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 10-Jul-15 14:04:55

I have a friend who recently had a baby. She has posted a photo of her new baby every single day so far. I'm a bit concerned this child will have its entire life catalogued daily on FB. It's not even a first baby!

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 10-Jul-15 14:10:04

grin

if people really believed the messages they'd be out doing something inspirational as opposed to passing the messages on to everyone all day.

They make me laugh.

and yy to past life job quizzes or what pot plant would you be quizzes.

SanityClause Fri 10-Jul-15 14:10:17

ghosty, those are hilarious!

(I may have used them to start a new Pinterest board.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now