Talk

Advanced search

to ask to turn the air con down a bit?

(6 Posts)
Nabuma Fri 10-Jul-15 10:36:58

Sat in a cafe/bakery. Can't move tables as there are no others available. Air con is blowing right at us-dd is shivering with goosebumps and I've had to zip up my top and sort of snuggle into her. Was ibu reasonable to ask them to turn it down a bit. I got eye rolling, dirty looks and incredulous attitude from staff. I was polite!

Ullaviking Fri 10-Jul-15 11:47:51

Don't go there again, think you were being perfectly reasonable.

LurkingHusband Fri 10-Jul-15 11:50:51

I suspect the real reason is they have no idea how it works.

Have you seen a modern A/C units control. You could probably put a man on the moon with it.

I once worked in an office leased from a guy who installed aircon units. He said 80% of his "call outs" were because people didn't read the instructions. So he got to charge them grin.

Spent a night in a Travelodge last year. 3 members of staff, and a manager couldn't set our aircon correctly. So it was a free night in a Travelodge.

FWIW, they should have set the unit to "sweep", so the little shutters move and create a cool zone without a draught.

Nabuma Fri 10-Jul-15 12:23:44

Glad I wasn't. They made me feel like it was a completely outrageous request! The air con unit was massive but was shaped as a square with a flap along each side. Our side's flap was the only side on. I'm sure they could have directed ithe flow to another flap on another direction but as it was it was pointing directly at us. See your point lurkingdad, we couldn't work ours when I worked in a chemist! Used to be stifling! The thing that peed me off was the attitude tbh.

Nabuma Fri 10-Jul-15 12:24:41

And no, won't go back there again!!

LurkingHusband Fri 10-Jul-15 12:34:19

The thing that peed me off was the attitude tbh

It never ceases to amaze me the level of stupidity allowed in customer facing roles.

I'm not an idiot. I know things can go wrong. The trick is how things are put right. There are a few places where I've had issues of some description, but because they were dealt with satisfactorily, I'm happy to return. Meanwhile there are other places which may not have messed up (yet grin) but I have little confidence in their attitude. Like an M&S manager insisting that buttons are not part of a garment, whilst at the same time admitting I was due a refund under their T&Cs. Haven't been to M&S since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now