Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to let dd watch telly all day?

(22 Posts)
summersnowshowers Fri 10-Jul-15 10:33:13

Please be gentle with me its my first aibu and i know i am being a bit of a crappy mum.

I have a 3 yo dd and am due dc2 any day now. I am absolutely exhausted and cannot be bothered to move today at all.

Normally we have an activity every day- toddler group, family visit, arty stuff but i just feel so drained today. Would i be awful to just let cbeebies and peppa babysit today while i have a sofa day?

Need this little one to hurry up now- i hate feeling so lazy all the time

MuffMuffTweetAndDave Fri 10-Jul-15 10:35:16

No. You do what you have to do to get through it. If you're heavily pregnant and need rest, that takes precedence over doing something enriching every single day.

motherinferior Fri 10-Jul-15 10:37:17

I still remember, 12 years on, the lovely woman who saw me on the train, staggering with a toddler and a huge pregnant belly and nearly weeping with exhaustion, who took one look at me and said "darling: Cbeebies". And now I am passing on that wisdom to you. grin

LuckyCornish13 Fri 10-Jul-15 10:44:30

YANBU! A chilled out day, cuddled up watching TV sounds fine.

And it doesn't make you a crappy mum; try to relax and enjoy the last couple days of it being just the two of you smile

GobblersKnob Fri 10-Jul-15 10:46:04

God no, yanbu AT ALL.

I spent most of the last two weeks of my second pg dozing on the couch while toddler ds either watched tv or performed extensive medical tests on me and my bump with his drs kit wink Oh and he also really enjoyed brushing my hair and oiling the bump, kept him busy for a while, while seeming vaguely interactive grin

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 10-Jul-15 10:46:57

No, no, no, put the TV on, lie down and don't give it a second thought. You're doing just fine smile flowers

summersnowshowers Fri 10-Jul-15 10:59:27

Thanks everyone i guess im just beating myself up a bit today but i read all these comments on here about tv being the work of the devil and i feel awful.

To be fair shes more than happy watching it- giving me a running commentary on whats happening. Think we might pop to the local cafe for lunch (no cooking for me then) and at least itll be a change of scenery for her too!

summersnowshowers Fri 10-Jul-15 11:00:18

Motherinferior i love that- what a lovely lady!

Joolsy Fri 10-Jul-15 11:24:25

YANBU however a little stroll outside may do you both the world of good

Sothisishowitfeels Fri 10-Jul-15 11:26:50

Yanbu at all. Duvet TV and might I suggest when dd is in bed a takeaway with your dh .

Trapper Fri 10-Jul-15 11:36:38

YANBU that is exactly what CBEEBIES is for! Make sure you have a contingency plan in place for 7pm when it goes off-air.

Mulligrubs Fri 10-Jul-15 11:40:18

YANBU at all, put the TV on when you need to, let her enjoy the programmes, you get some rest. It is a win win and it isn't forever!

NickyEds Fri 10-Jul-15 12:49:38

Good grief if you're bad then I'm terrible! I'm 39+3 weeks and c beebies has been doing a fair amount of child care for about 2-3 weeks now. I figure I'll have the baby soon and dp will be off to help. Plus we do stuff with him at the weekends. I take him into the garden occasionally! Being this pregnant is bloody awful so I'm taking all of the help I can get.

Bettercallsaul1 Fri 10-Jul-15 13:18:38

You are most definitely NOT being unreasonable, OP! Enriching activities for toddlers are excellent when you are your normal, energetic self but there is a time to put yourself first and THIS IS IT! Sit back and enjoy some quiet, guilt-free time before baby No 2 arrives!

WankerDeAsalWipe Fri 10-Jul-15 13:23:11

Toddler DS1 once spent hours quite happily rummaging about in his toys when I was in a similar state - he emerged after about 3 hours looking triumphant with a piece of jigsaw - I guess he'd been looking for it all that time smile TV will be fine - it can be interactive - encourage her to get up and do any actions etc. you can be encouraging and a good parent without moving.

PolyesterBride Fri 10-Jul-15 13:23:58

Yes, CBeebies and then if she starts to get restless put her in the bath for an hour with some toys while you lie on the floor. Then back to CBeebies!

TheTravellingLemon Fri 10-Jul-15 13:26:45

YANBU. Give yourself a break for goodness sake. Will be much harder when the baby gets here.

500Decibels Fri 10-Jul-15 13:32:39

I still remember the guilt I felt when ds1 spent a whole week watching TV all day whilst I recovered from quite a traumatic birth and dh had gone back to work.
He is now a bright 10 yr old who loves the outdoors and being active.
Please don't worry. TV is a good educator too.

DaysAreWhereWeLive Fri 10-Jul-15 13:32:53

Once your new baby is here, CBeebies will be your very best friend. You may as well start as you mean to go on. grin

msgrinch Fri 10-Jul-15 13:37:25

You are absolutely not being unreasonable! Rest, relax and your daughter will be fine. you're doing a great job thanks

summersnowshowers Fri 10-Jul-15 13:39:55

Thanks everyone. We've been out for a (junk food) lunch followed by an ice cream and now am thinking a nap might be needed for both of us- bugger the ironing.

Feeling much better now- fingers crossed baby arrives asap and im back on my feet quickly

msgrinch Fri 10-Jul-15 13:49:00

The ironing won't run off, go and have that nap. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now