Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why my landing has a wafting smell of piss?

(15 Posts)
nigelslaterfan Fri 10-Jul-15 10:17:22

I keep thinking it must be wafting from the bathroom but however often I clean it still the wafting stink of wee floats past me. Now I'm wondering is someone has pissed on the bloody stairs! Who would do that? Although ds did seem to have dried wee in one corner of his room once. Is he sleepwalking and then peeing on the stairs?
(abject sobbing emoticon)
Please help by telling me that I am not alone or that there is hope.

Pastamancer Fri 10-Jul-15 10:20:42

We had this once pre DC. It turned out that DH had left his shoes by a radiator at the bottom of the stairs and the combination of shoes and heat made a piss smell. The shoes didn't smell like piss when you sniffed them but as soon as we moved them the smell went away.

nigelslaterfan Fri 10-Jul-15 10:22:28

Thanks, but I think I am smelling pissyness. I think ds has weed on the stairs in his sleep !

LashesandLipstick Fri 10-Jul-15 10:23:23

Wet shoes. DP once bought wet trainers into his hallway and it made the whole area smell like piss.

StayWithMe Fri 10-Jul-15 10:26:53

Could be faulty wiring. I kept thinking I could smell piss/fish in one one of the bedrooms when we moved in. Turns out the wiring was overheating every time I put the light on.

Euphemia Fri 10-Jul-15 10:31:36

I have a friend whose son sleepwalks and pees in strange places.

paulapompom Fri 10-Jul-15 18:01:04

We are a sleepwalking family and it can happen, especially with males. My cousin used to get up in the night and wee in the wardrobe - he remembered nothing of it in the morning. Also once in a caravan my friend weed in my other friends dads shoes, in full view of the dad in question (and mum for that matter). It could be a one off, keep an ear out of a night x

trashcanjunkie Fri 10-Jul-15 18:21:37

Erm.... I went through a phase of pissing on the landing as a child. Was too scared to go into the bathroom blush

nigelslaterfan Sat 11-Jul-15 23:35:29

Yeah I am sure it is sleep walk weeing!
My father used to do it when he was drunk apparently.
Wardrobes are common locations for sleeppissers aren't they?

Spog Sat 11-Jul-15 23:40:47

are there are neighbourhood moggies about?
could they get in your house?
blobby, our next door neighbour's cat comes in our bathroom top window at night for a nose at about 2am.
we don't mind as he's not spraying.

trashcanjunkie Sun 12-Jul-15 00:52:33

Yes wardrobes and telly's

manicinsomniac Sun 12-Jul-15 01:57:58

One of my earliest memories is of running upstairs to the bathroom, stopping outside then deliberately peeing at the top of the stairs and shouting to my mum that I hadn't got there in time. I think I did it a few times. I remember liking the sound it made on the carpet. Grim! blush

Feel sorry for my mum but at least she knew where the smelly patch was!

Hope you find the source!

nigelslaterfan Mon 13-Jul-15 17:43:19

Thanks! I'm sure it's not a cat, I know ds is the culprit because I found dried pissoir on his floor once! minging.......

sparkysparkysparky Mon 13-Jul-15 17:47:12

If you can't track it down invest in a Peedar which you can use to find cat pee. Then clean with a solution of bio washing powder - or anything with enzymes in it. Might help with the smell. Good lucksmile

sparkysparkysparky Mon 13-Jul-15 17:49:00

BTW a Peedar finds pee, not just cat pee. it's basically a csi style black light.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now