Talk

Advanced search

I was 15 mins late picking dc up

(23 Posts)
Hadenough15 Fri 10-Jul-15 08:37:36

Yesterday I was running late, for the first time. I was stuck on the motorway. I rang the school and updated them.

I got there for 3.35. The reception staff were leaving just as I pulled up, one wowam stood shaking her head at me angrily. She told me they were all going out for dinner which Is why it was a problem.

I apologised loads.

Aibu

BitOutOfPractice Fri 10-Jul-15 08:38:48

No yanbu.

glenthebattleostrich Fri 10-Jul-15 08:39:08

It happens, just bad luck it was a day they all had plans

honeysucklejasmine Fri 10-Jul-15 08:39:48

You kept in touch and are a first time offender. YANBU, this one time.

WankerDeAsalWipe Fri 10-Jul-15 08:41:47

If you aren't in the habit of being late, I'd just forget about it - it would be good for the future to have a contingency plan such as another parent from one of the DCs class who could either wait in the playground with them or start walking them back to yours or theirs.

The staff were obviously extra grumpy because they had plans so you can see that they would be annoyed - if it had happened the day before they may not have batted an eyelid.

If it becomes a regular occurrence then ywbu

IfNotNowThenWhen Fri 10-Jul-15 08:41:53

Dinner? At half three? Odd. Our school staff are normally there until 4 anyway, they are pretty busy after school.

dontrunwithscissors Fri 10-Jul-15 08:41:56

I'm guessing as the traffic jam was unexpected? Was it something you couldn't have foreseen? And what time do you usually get to the school--bang on time, or do you leave a bit of leeway?

Assuming it was a very unexpected occurrence, I think that these things happen. I can understand the reception staff being a bit pissed, but you let them know what was happening and apologised. Perhaps this happens with regularity and they're fed up?

reni1 Fri 10-Jul-15 08:45:35

What's the question? Aibu to be late? Well, yes, but it sounds like the first time and you updated them. Is there no other parent you could have asked to pick up dc?

Mintyy Fri 10-Jul-15 08:59:12

Yes, I'm really surprised to hear that any school gets "shut up" 15 minutes after the children go home.

Janette123 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:01:27

They were going out to dinner? When, 4.00.pm??

You updated them and then apologised when you got there, so no harm done.

Forget about it.

Purplepixiedust Fri 10-Jul-15 09:08:52

We have contingency arrangements with other parents but if I couldn't get hold of anyone I would call the school and they would get him to sit by the office until one of us turned up. There are always after school clubs on and staff about for at least an hour. Yanbu.

muminhants1 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:14:39

Of course you were not being U and schools need to understand that things happen - trains are delayed and there are traffic jams and even if you leave lots of time, you might still come unstuck.

As for the notion that we are all best buddies with other parents so can just phone them to ask them to collect our kids, I don't think so.

I hope you didn't use a handheld phone to call the school from your car - now that would be U (unless you were stationary in a queue, still illegal, but I can't see what harm it does).

Also wondering about going for dinner at 4pm unless they wanted to get home to change and get ready?

CrystalHaze Fri 10-Jul-15 09:16:57

Yes, I'm really surprised to hear that any school gets "shut up" 15 minutes after the children go home.

Me too confused

Are there no after school clubs on?

WankerDeAsalWipe Fri 10-Jul-15 09:20:59

for "dinner" read "pub"....

I wasn't friends with loads of other parents either, but did have another parent in DS1s class who was also working and finished just before school - we took each others numbers so that we could contact if we were late - she contacted me once in about 5 years and I did the same - both times we got to the school just a few minutes late, but it was comforting to know that there was someone on hand. I lived close to the school anyway so when DC got older they knew to walk home and wait and if I wasn't home, then they were to go to one of the neighbours - I have lovely neighbours smile Never needed that contingency either.

Icimoi Fri 10-Jul-15 10:33:02

Does the school have an after school club? Some schools work on the basis they put children in there if their parents are late collecting. It works well with the regular offenders as well as they have to pay for it.

GoblinLittleOwl Fri 10-Jul-15 10:34:13

It is the end of term; undoubtedly a leaving do the staff were going to.
It was an accident, you notified them, you apologised, these things happen.

wishiwasrunning Fri 10-Jul-15 10:34:26

YANBU! Don't beat yourself up about it.

Apricota Fri 10-Jul-15 18:27:28

YANBU it happens, they need to get over it. You are fine sweetie, happens to us all

PurpleSwift Fri 10-Jul-15 18:29:32

What's the question?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 10-Jul-15 18:58:02

Aww please don't beat yourself up. It happens. You apologised more than enough times.
I actually think that women was very rude. And unprofessional.
Yes I get in is an inconvenience and they are only human. Thinking what you like is one thing but Saying what you like is another thing entirely. I just don't think it is professional for a school receptionist to be saying. It is a problem because we are going out and to make you feel worse than you already did.

Goshthatsspicy Fri 10-Jul-15 19:23:24

YANBU.
l'm surprised to hear of your chastisement.
Disrespectful.
You kept them informed, a one off.
Shit happens,and they needed to remember that.

EponasWildDaughter Fri 10-Jul-15 19:29:23

IME there are always teachers/TAs on site at primary school until at least 5.30pm sometimes 6. 3.35 is no big deal. Not your fault they'd organised an outing on such a tight schedule. Very unprofessional to be tutting and head shaking about this.

RedXan Fri 10-Jul-15 20:14:05

I work in a school office. I have at least 3 usually more still waiting to be picked up at 4pm grin every day! Not a big deal unless it happens every week for the same kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now