Advanced search

Breathalisers in France .

(14 Posts)
wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 09-Jul-15 21:18:23

I thought they brought in a new law that you had to have two disposable breathalisers in the car and if you didn't they could find you .
My lovely friend who's FIL lives in France says you don't need them as its not law .
So who's right ? .We are both driving to France over the summer I'm going in July and she's going in August .this could be a costly mistake if she's wrong .

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 09-Jul-15 21:23:23


ghostyslovesheep Thu 09-Jul-15 21:25:43

your friend is right - a quick google would have answered your question

caroldecker Thu 09-Jul-15 21:30:07

You are both right AA. The law still exists, but the massive fine of €11 has been postponed indefinately

paulapompom Thu 09-Jul-15 21:30:11

Hi op, it looks as though you SHOULD have 3 breathalisers in the car, but if you don't the will be no action. There seem to be lots of driving regs changing in France. You could look at www. / driving in France. Good luck

ghostyslovesheep Thu 09-Jul-15 21:31:17

but don't forget your safety kit!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 09-Jul-15 21:32:03

We were looking at driving last summer, so things may have changed since then?

The rules are different for French drivers and visitors.
I looked at this, and decided flying was easier!

The scenario is this...

Gendarmes see visitor plates on your car.
They pull you over.
You have to put on you reflective hi-viz before getting out of the car.
They can ask you to take a breath test, within reason. You have to supply the tester.
Test is negative.
They send you on your way.
They wait until you move the car and pull you over for not carrying a usable breath tester!
This is why you take two!

My advice is take them. They are only small, and much cheaper than a fine.

minibmw2010 Thu 09-Jul-15 21:35:36

It's fine. Even if you were stopped the fine is only €11 to have nothing in the car. They're laws are stricter than ours apparently so it's no drinks is best.

SiobhanSharpe Thu 09-Jul-15 21:36:30

Oh, last time I looked the AA advised that you should have them, they're about a fiver for a packet of two. Also that you need TWO warning triangles now and a yellow high vis jacket, or gilet thingy, to be kept inside the car. (not in the boot) and you could be fined if you don't have any of that either. But i think with modern cars and the sealed headlamp units you may not need the spare bulb kits that you used to have to take.

minibmw2010 Thu 09-Jul-15 21:36:33

But you can buy them cheaply from Halforda so there really is no reason not to take them really.

londonrach Thu 09-Jul-15 21:42:24

They bad price wise on boat and better safe than sorry.

Laloue23 Thu 09-Jul-15 22:32:25

The whole lot come in a pack on Amazon for less than a tenner,shove it in the boot and the hi vis in the car with you. Not worth the aggro of not having it- and you never know when certain bits might be useful at home. To and fro for work and hols - never needed it yet, but feel happier knowing it's all there just in case.

lampygirl Thu 09-Jul-15 22:41:07

We don't bother with the breathalysers, they aren't enforcing it, and it basically seems never ending as you basically need an infinite amount... I carry hi viz in the glove box anyway, but remember you need one for everyone in the car. The driver needs to be able to put theirs on without getting out. Not sure about the passengers but we just stuff in seat pockets anyway as the back is well wedged with kit.

You don't need spare lamps if you have sealed headlight units, but unless you can adjust your headlights for driving on the wrong side of the road you'll still need the little blanking reflector things.

If you are driving a long way through France on the motorways get a sanef peage doofer and enjoy the practically queue free automatic barriers at the toll stops.

SiobhanSharpe Fri 10-Jul-15 00:24:35

Yes, second the SANEF transponder, which you stick to the windscreen by the rearview mirror, you can order them via Eurotunnel if you're travelling with them, and they now cover all French motorways, not just in the SANEF area (north-east France ).
It's great to sail through the péages without stopping at all, hope it will soon be extended to the Dartford crossing (also owned/part owned by SANEF) .
Mind you, you can feel the pain a few weeks later when you get the bill, £104 for our last trip! Sadly, you don't get a discount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now