Talk

Advanced search

To be cross and upset because of noise in my tiny village

(7 Posts)
ultrathule Thu 09-Jul-15 11:55:54

I live in a really small village, just a pub and a cluster of houses, with a few big houses on lots of land surrounding the village. I can't see my neighbours, but they are just over the hedge across the garden. It is usually as quiet as it sounds. Rural, farming village, with a few people to do a commute into town so get up very early to make buses or trains.

The last week, 4 evenings have been badly disturbed by loud parties. I think some kids are home from University/school/whatever in one house; they had a party with amplified dance music that kept going until 4 am. The following night, a different house had loud music and fireworks; they hadn't warned us about the fireworks and our animals were really distressed. When I know there are going to be fireworks I can prevent this from happening. I was running around at midnight trying to calm a frantic horse and a shaking elderly dog. A few nights later (this was a week night) a different house again had a party, with what sounded like a DJ; they only stopped because it started to rain, which must have sent them inside. Then, last night, the first house started again - loud dance music with a thumping bass, it stopped at midnight, but I get up at 5.30 and by the time it stopped I was so wound up I couldn't sleep.

Police say they can't do anything, too busy to send a car. They could warn them about the fireworks, but as the music has been from separate places they aren't interested. It is summer, our house is stuffy so windows are open at night. I don't want to lock the animals inside when they should be out on a summer night. The few other neighbours I've spoken to say it has never been this bad before in the village. So: what to do? I feel like the next time it happens I'm going to blow a gasket.

Janette123 Thu 09-Jul-15 12:02:13

Can you speak to your local councillor about this?

Also the Council will have a noise abatement officer - or someone with a similar title - they can help you with this.

In the meantime I would ask your vet about sedatives for the animals.

I know this isn't your fault but you have to look after your pets until you can get these morons to shut up.

Dawndonnaagain Thu 09-Jul-15 12:07:47

Are the parents away? I'd be checking that first and if it's the case inform them that the police will be involved if it doesn't stop by twelve.

SophiePendragon Thu 09-Jul-15 12:09:16

Ok. Can you go round during normal hours and talk to your neighbours? Explain that you have to sort out your animals if there is going to be noise, and that it is upsetting for you and them when there is music etc all night.

Ask them if they might be able to stop say before midnight - explain you have to be up at 5.30 - they may assume unless someone complains that it isn't worrying anyone.

Very selfish attitude but say something now, politely, and they might just be nice enough to calm it down.

Also your council will have a noise department. You need to get them involved and get a log sheet to fill in so they can see the problem over time, if it continues.

Get onto them now and ask what they can do to help.
Also when you get angry next time, if none of this works, go and let loose at the wankers.

I lay in bed having palpitations with anger for a couple of years at one house we lived in, almost every night with drunk students walking past singing and being stupid.

One night I leaned out the window, no more 'excuse me...' as that just got laughed at - I YELLED something very very rude and they actually scarpered, and after that I felt so much better - knowing I had the power to do something took away all that angst. It didn't bother me after that, even if I didn't say anything - I knew I could iyswim.

Massive sympathy.

ultrathule Thu 09-Jul-15 12:29:11

Thanks for the suggestions! The problem is, that apart from the first noisy house, I don't actually know for sure exactly which houses were making the noise on the other days. There is a road with around 8 houses on it, whose gardens back onto our field, it could have been any of them.
But council is a great idea, thank you.
I would NEVER EVER in a million years make noise that was going to disturb my neighbours. We've had bbqs and gatherings, but I've not played music and we've gone inside by 10. Why do they have to play music????!!! (Oh, I'm not 100 years old either).

hennybeans Thu 09-Jul-15 14:26:37

I would add that next time there is noise, you need to go out and find out exactly which house is making it. You can't really get anything solved if you don't know who to complain about. Maybe even record to noise on your phone every time it happens to show parents/ council at some point on the future.

I live in a small village too, and I can't imagine that anyone would be such a nuisance on purpose because it's such a small community it would be awkward. My money is on students home for summer and parents away. Once you know where the noise is coming from you can go over and have a word. Maybe they'll apologise and explain why they had a good reason, or maybe they didn't think it would bother anyone.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 09-Jul-15 14:44:10

Talk to them. I would have made noise at that age. I would also have been mortified and very apologetic about upsetting animals. Go out when it's going on and find the house.

Why do they have to play music????!!! is a tiny bit hmm Some people love music, you love quiet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now